Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Howdy from SW MO...

776 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gazar 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am new to this community, sort of. Last year my sweet 12 y.o. Mini English Bulldog passed away and to my surprise her 8y.o. Heinz 57 brother took it very hard and got into a depressed funk (I know dogs mourn but they weren't super attached). Fast forward to 2 wks ago...I saw a FB ad someone posted about this Amer. Bulldog pup looking for a forever home. I inquired thinking maybe he had some special needs or behavioral issues...nope. This "breeder" isolated him because he has a non-breed standard single blue eye and she didn't want others that in her bloodline. Poor guy had been left outside in the Jan cold in a concrete kennel covered in poop and legs yellow from sitting in his own yucky. ? So we decided to rescue him.
Well, we really know very little of his past and are working on overcoming MANY fears, gaining confidence, bonding with humans, and potty training. He is not food motivated nor praise motivates...he is finally learning that toys are fun. Poor guy is 5mo old and has SO much to learn. My 8yo mutt LOVES his new brother and the feeling is mutual! ?
I would love to hear from others who have rescued "throw away" American Bulldog babies and how you overcame their issues. He has the makings for an excellent dog and I know it will take time! We love our Tobias and he is learning to love us. ?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome

Hi, and welcome to BDB! Thank you for signing the rules.

Check out the tutorials to help you with the site functions.

Thank you rescuing this pup. In time he will become a part of your family.
It takes a little while for a new dog to feel comfortable in his new home. Give him some space
and allow him to adjust at his own rate. He will eventually show you what he likes and what he
does not like. I am glad that a friendship has developed between the two dogs. He may have
missed that pack comraderie and is glad to have it backe. Do keep us up on how things are going and please enjoy the forum. :)

#5 ·
Hello and welcome to the Forum. What you're going to need is time and that's the only thing is going to overcome all these things. I have had several somewhat damaged dogs and this is what works. I now have a 1 year old bulldog who was kept outside too. He's very hyper and likes to bite and all those things. First thing I did was put a leash on him established boundaries. I also give him lots of play toys and chew toys. If he starts biting me then I give him the deer antler or something else you want besides me or my shoes. I take him out for a walk a couple times a day. Lots of love to as no one ever petted him I paid attention to him much where he was at. Time though that is the greatest healer that you have. So establish your boundaries let them learn the word no and give them lots and lots of love. We also have a cage for him where he sleeps and also where he goes to calm down. He is doing very well now after a few weeks. Congrats on your new addition and good luck

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Thanks cowsmom!

Toby has already been making some HUGE strides in the past few days! I am so excited for him. He is LOVING going on walks already, he has just about got the concept of pottying outside (no accidents in his crate in a week now). He goes willingly to bed in his crate for nap time and bedtime with the cue "up up". He is doing VERY good at "wait" for both his food and going through doors. The cats are now his friends and he minds well enough not to chase them.
He is doing much better in just the past few days of trusting us and coming over to use for attention and even gave me kisses yesterday and today! We meet with a professional dog trainer tomorrow to see what classes he will be a good fit for. Baby steps are working well for him...and I am so proud! He is definitely teaching me to be a consistently patient, calm and confident dog momma, LOL!! I can't wait to watch him blossom in the next few months.

Oh...and this boy is growing FAST!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.