Red bumps and hair loss - BulldogBreeds.com Forums

BulldogBreeds.com Forums BulldogBreeds.com Forums
Go Back   BulldogBreeds.com Forums > General BDB Forums > Health & Diet

BulldogBreeds.com is the premier BulldogBreeds Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Red bumps and hair loss

Hey all!

Mowgli had a horrible infection a few months back and we have been battling red bumps and loss of hair all over his body ever since. The vet has prescribed enrofloxacin consistently and prednisone on and off for the past few months. The vet seems to think the bumps and hair loss are related to the infection, but we aren't sure because the infection is gone but the bumps heal for a little awhile and then come right back.

When he had his infection the vet had us switch his food to Hill's Science Diet Sensitive Skin and Stomach, which is a chicken and barley recipe. We were feeding him Pure Balance Grain Free Lamb and Pea recipe prior to switching with no problems.

Any tips or past experience is appreciated! Here are some pictures.

Initial Infection:

Bumps on neck:

Hair loss on back of neck and legs:

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
phinfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Update on Mowgli!

Went for a follow up today. We saw a new veterinarian for the follow up at the same animal hospital. This vet said that Mowgli's bumps are hives from an allergic reaction (which was my hutch the whole time). I told him that the only major change was the food switch and he seemed hesitant to tell me to go back to our original food. Said it strange that he would be having a reaction to the Science Diet because that is why they always recommend.

He gave me samples of new food. Hill's Prescription Diet z/d Skin and Food Sensitivities and Hydroxyzine pills.

Not sure what their obsession is with Hill's food. My understanding is that it is not a great quality food. However, I am glad that we finally got an answer that is an allergy and not the same skin infection!

Old 02-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hopefully the new DVM can get things figured out. Vets tend to push brands of food for $ reasons or so I have been told. Good luck
oznog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are right, Oznog - that is waht they retail so that is what they will recommend.

It probably is an allergic reaction. Is there chicken in the food. So many dogs have a
severe reaction to dog food with chicken. That is a really bad reaction so I would not rule out other things.

gazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

The food does have chicken. Just learned about reactions to chicken! We are doing a switch back to the Pure Balance to see how it goes.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have said this so many times that others are probably tired of it but, I find
that dogs with sensitive skin do better on a lamb and rice diet. Pure Balance
makes has it and we give our dog Diamond Lamb and Rice. They do great on
it and their skin and coat looks great, too.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

We had him on the lamb and rice previously, but I recently read somewhere (don't remember) a review of the ingredients and the bison and pea ranked at the top. It is also grain free, which if I understand correctly is important for a lot of bulldogs. So we went with bison and pea.

I liked the lamb and rice as well because there were zero issues. If the bison doesn't work, it will be back to lamb.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have not fed bison but it is my understanding that it is a less fatty meat. Lamb is
quite oily. The oils do help to keep the dog's skin and coat from drying out. If you
notice a dryer skin or coat, it may be a good idea to switch to the lamb and rice.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I hope you get things sorted out. Food can be a trial. You don't have to feed grain free lots of dogs do fine with grains. I would feed whatever was working. Good luck

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
cowsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 12:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hey all. Had follow up for Mowgli today. Vet tested for mange, which came back negative.

He also saw what he is saying are fire ant bites in Mowgli's groin area. The only problem is that Mowgli is mainly indoors and when he goes for his walks, we walk him on the sidewalk or in the parking lot when no sidewalk is available. We never have seen ants on him and my wife and I have no bites on us. We are considering getting a second opinion.

The wife and I got into a disagreement because she is beginning to think that our home may not be the best for Mowgli if we are unable to sort out what is causing these issues. We are having a baby in about 2 months and she is concerned that we may not be able to properly care for him once baby arrives and takes more of our time and money.

Not sure what anyone can help with at this point. Just more so looking for some support during a difficult time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement