Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11 year old 1/2 english bulldog, 1/2 boxer mix. I've owned him since he was 10 weeks old. He is the best dog I've ever had and I love him dearly. He has such a personality that everyone who has met him just loves him. I would love to find another dog of this mix. I've read that this is called a valley bulldog, however I'm able to find very little information on this. Wondering if anyone here can offer any insight. Is this really a breed? If so I'm having lots of difficulty finding any information on breeders. While I know that all breedings have differences in temperment I love everything about this dog - his look, his personality. I would love to find another.
Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What you have would essentially be considered foundation stock. Nothing wrong with that - it is not however a Valley. Your dog is essentially the type of cross that was created 20-30 years ago when they started making what is today the Valley Bulldogge (and the OEB, Banter, etc.). They also used Pit Bulls, ABs, Boxers and Mastiffs in the various mixes to create the initial foundation dogs. Those dogs have sense been used in breeding programs to create the consistent bloodlines we have today which is why they are considered a 'breed' now. I thought it was the Banter that had a much larger boxer bloodline in it, but I am frankly too lazy to look it up atm :) you could certainly do so. These breeders had specific goals in mind when creating the breeds we have today - all of them however insist on a dogge that is free whelping, free breathing and has the ability to withstand temperature fluctuations.

The AKC EB is prone to a large variety of issues mostly stemming from the original cross between the original EB and the pug in a desire to create a smaller dog without the aggressive tendencies of the original bulldog. To a large extent they were successful. However, many of the those traits deemed desireable in the AKC EB are in fact the very factors which cause many of the physical problems. There are most certainly healthy EBs out there as many owners on this site will tell you - I personally do not think that is the norm due to BYB and the drive for Championship bloodlines leading to inbreeding.

The links posted earlier in this thread as well as www.ioeba.net and other rare breed bulldogge sites would help you figure out which specific breed you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ScottB said:
What you have would essentially be considered foundation stock. Nothing wrong with that - it is not however a Valley. Your dog is essentially the type of cross that was created 20-30 years ago when they started making what is today the Valley Bulldogge (and the OEB, Banter, etc.). They also used Pit Bulls, ABs, Boxers and Mastiffs in the various mixes to create the initial foundation dogs. Those dogs have sense been used in breeding programs to create the consistent bloodlines we have today which is why they are considered a 'breed' now. I thought it was the Banter that had a much larger boxer bloodline in it, but I am frankly too lazy to look it up atm :) you could certainly do so. These breeders had specific goals in mind when creating the breeds we have today - all of them however insist on a dogge that is free whelping, free breathing and has the ability to withstand temperature fluctuations.

The AKC EB is prone to a large variety of issues mostly stemming from the original cross between the original EB and the pug in a desire to create a smaller dog without the aggressive tendencies of the original bulldog. To a large extent they were successful. However, many of the those traits deemed desireable in the AKC EB are in fact the very factors which cause many of the physical problems. There are most certainly healthy EBs out there as many owners on this site will tell you - I personally do not think that is the norm due to BYB and the drive for Championship bloodlines leading to inbreeding.

The links posted earlier in this thread as well as www.ioeba.net and other rare breed bulldogge sites would help you figure out which specific breed you want. Good luck!
The valley bulldog does not have pit, ab, or mastiff in it. That is the oldes. I can't say for sure what the banter consists of but the valley is a boxer X EB. You are right in saying that what he has is a first generational cross.

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
maryserratos said:
ScottB said:

The valley bulldog does not have pit, ab, or mastiff in it. That is the oldes. I can't say for sure what the banter consists of but the valley is a boxer X EB. You are right in saying that what he has is a first generational cross.
Banter Bulldogges foundation consists of 1/2 Boxer and 1/4 - 1/2 combinations of AB, AST, and APBT.

·
Registered
209 Posts
maryserratos said:
ScottB said:

correct! Foundation stock of valleys is said to be 50% Boxer, 50% EB. Valley's a considered purebred. so your dog would not be considered a valley. Post pics, would love to see him. It's definitely a good mix.

here's our goofball valley, Gracie.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Philly'sMom said:
My dog Philly was sold to me as an english bull, however I strongly think him to have boxer as does my vet...I love my Valley! :)
How old is he?? What does he weigh? He looks to be an EB to me. He seems very short and thick. EB's can have the black mask if that is what you are referring to.

He sure is a beautiful boy though :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hah thanks, yes hes a cutie and he sure knows it! haha. He is 11 months, 50 lbs...yes he's very close to an EB but hes very long bodied and long legged...my vet doesnt think he's 100% EB either...im not sure. My boyfriend is still holding strong that hes pure english, but i think hes in denial haha

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Philly'sMom said:
this picture really made me certain that he's valley, this dog looks just like phil and it was on the site that was posted first for the thread under "valley bulldog pics"

I don't know if anybody's already suggested this, but just because he's a Boxer - EB cross, does not make him a Valley Bulldog. He's a good lookin' dog, and I agree that he probably is not a full blooded EB. But, he's just a EB cross. To be a Valley Bulldog, you'd have to have registration papers for him stating so. Good luck with him, regardless.

~S

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Philly'sMom said:
Ah didnt know there was a high society mutt club :) I dont know, i dont even have registration papers saying hes EB...whatever

Well, alrighty then...

High society mutt club? That one went right over my head. A registered dog is a registered dog (with papers) and a mutt is a mutt (no papers). It's pretty cut and dry, simple.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Valley is registered IOEBA and CKC.
To be a Valley, the long bloodline is 3/4 English and 1/4boxer.
They are shorter than the boxer and taller than the English. Phil looks to be English/boxer. At any rate he is beautiful and you should be proud. Read about Valleys on this site or go to www.bulldogges.tripod.com
Angela will be glad to give you any info regarding these dogs.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Philly'sMom said:
Ah didnt know there was a high society mutt club :) I dont know, i dont even have registration papers saying hes EB...whatever
dont really get your point with the high society mutt club comment, but no your dog is not a valley, despite having perhaps similar genetic makeup. Valleys are registered with the international olde english bulldogge association (IOEBA) and the United Canine Association. (UCA).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
choboy said:
They are shorter than the boxer and taller than the English. Phil looks to be English/boxer. At any rate he is beautiful and you should be proud. Read about Valleys on this site or go to www.bulldogges.tripod.com
The valley is not 3/4 EB and 1/4 boxer. They are half and half. Personally I think Phil is an EB.

·
Registered
209 Posts
maryserratos said:
choboy said:
The valley is not 3/4 EB and 1/4 boxer. They are half and half.
I believe this to be true as wel. think its 50/50

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.