Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A TEN MONTH OLD AMERICAN BULLDOG AND AM NOT SURE IF I AM FEEDING HIM ENOUGH. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH AND HOW OFTEN I SHOULD FEED HIM. HE IS ON DRY COMPLETE FOOD. WE HAVE ALSO BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH HIM MAKING A MESS WHEN WE LEAVE HIM EVEN IF WE JUST SHUT OURSELVES IN A DIFFERENT ROOM. CAN ANYONE HELP?? HE NEVER DOES IT WHEN WE ARE WITH HIM SO IT IS NOT A SIMPLE HOUSEBREAKING PROBLEM BUT HE DOESNT SEEM TO BE ABLE TO HOLD IT VERY LONG.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. :?: :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Food....ten months... depends on what you are feeding him. At that age he is still growing so I would say 2ish cups twice a day if he is getting lots of exercise with a good quality food.

As for messing... when you have him in another room, are you leaving or just sick of him for a little bit and want to have some free time? Remember he is still a puppy at 10 months so he has lots of engery. If he is just a handful and you want some peace... try taking him for longer walks, maybe run with him to get some of that engery out so you don't have to put him in another room.
But despite that, try getting a crate for him. It keeps him and your house safe. Many dogs don't "mess where the sleep" so he wouldnt want to mess in a crate. Where in a room, he can mess in one corner and lie down in another. Also, make sure you let him out right before you put him in there so he has nothing to let out.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Our vet suggested that we be giving him at least 4 cups/day. So, in the morning he gets two cups and half a can of wet mixed in, same with at night.

If he's messing when you're not around, I would suggest buying some wee wee pads and laying them around.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've been giving Celeste 3 cups a day (1.5 cups X 2) and she's filled out a bit and is now maintaining it...

If your puppy isn't housebroken...and not crate-trained...I'd start crating and start again with the house-breaking regime...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WE DONT SHUT HIM AWAY

SORRY IF THAT CAME ACROSS WRONG WHAT I MEAN IS IF WE GO TO BED OR IN THE BATH OR SHUT IN THE KITCHEN COOKING WHILE HE IN ANOTHER ROOM THEN HE MAY DO IT ALTHOUGH IT IS RARE WHEN WE ARE IN THE HOUSE. MOSTLY IT IS WHEN HE IS LEFT AT HOME . WE DO HAVE ANOTHER DOG WHO HE GETS ON VERY WELL WITH SO IS NEVER COMPLETLY ALONE BUT FOR INSTNCE WHEN I TAKE THE CHILDREN TO SCHOOL IN THE MORNING HE USUALLY DOES IT. I HAVE CERTAINLY BEEN FEEDINGN HIM 4 CUPS A DAY. SO NO WORRYS THERE THEN.

WELL HERE HE IS ANYWAY ISNT HE LOVELY :D

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
If he's doing this at certain times, and you expect him to do it, then I would suggest maybe taking him out to piddle prior to doing those things. That's what we do. :)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
ahhh that makes sense!! Definitly try taking him outside right before you leave, even if your leaving for a short bit. Or try the crate. Kate is in her crate any times I am not home, even for a run to the grocery store. Not for potty reasons but she seems to find things to eat I wouldnt even think she knew about!!

Btw.... what a huge but cute baby!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HE IS CUTE ISNT HE AND THAT WAS THREE MONTHS AGO. I ALWAYS PUT HIM OUT BEFORE I GO ANYWHERE. I JUST THINK HE DOESNT LIKE BEING WITHOUT PEOPLE.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Then this is where I think the crate would come in handy. If "trained" right, many dogs love it, so he wouldn't feel the need to mess. You can give him a kong filled with peanut butter every time he goes in there, put his favorite chew and toys in there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

thanks for all your suggestions. if anyone would like to put pictures up of there dog i would like to see.

here is max with his best buddy sam and also a picture of our chihuahua harvey looking at rufus the gourami !!

·
Registered
719 Posts
AWWWWWWW! Cute! All of 'em! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts