Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please tell me how to get my pup to actually go on a walk? He only walks far enough to pee and that's it. Sometimes he'll pee on the porch as soon as I get him outside. I try and continue walking after he's done (using positive reinforcement after he goes to the bathroom), but he will NOT walk. He puts his little behind down and I have to pull him. Is there any way I can get him and my 1 year old to walk side by side? I need them both to get rid of some of their hyper energy!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Dozer used to do that too. It can be so frustrating. I would suggest taking just the pup for the first few times. Get your self really excited and make him realize how much fun a walk is. I say to leave your other dog at home, cause she will probably go NUTS when you really excited :lol: That is all I did with Dozer and once he realized how much fun it is then he was fine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I don't walk them together yet. Our one year old won't let the pup walk without trampling him. She's part of the problem. I try and walk the pup like you describe but he just is not having no parts of walking. I know my neighbors must think I'm stupid the way I dance around, but I'll do anything I can to get this little guy to walk.

Do you walk your two together now?

·
Registered
451 Posts
A friend of mine had a bull mastiff, who hated going on walks when she was a pup. But that's because she was afraid of everything. Is your puppy nervous outside?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, yes I do believe he is nervous outside (only out front). Out back he's running around and having fun. Out front is a different story. He is more gittery and looking around all the time. His ears are always back like he's scared.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Yeah I've always been able to walk my two together. Lucy was really good on the leash right from the beginning.

If he is more comfortable in the back yard then start working on the leash where he is comfortable, maybe in the house if you need too.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Actually, yes I do believe he is nervous outside (only out front). Out back he's running around and having fun. Out front is a different story. He is more gittery and looking around all the time. His ears are always back like he's scared.
sounds to me like you need to get him out more take him to the store take him to the park get him use to smells sounds and noisees good and bad, let him interact with people people people kids kids kids and dogs dogs dogs the more the marrier this is a verry important time in his life to adjust to everything just back yard pee poop and back into the house then the crate then back outside is no good he needs to to out more ! just remember PEOPLE PLACE THINGS !! :wink:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh he goes everywhere with us and is well socialized around my sisters family (one small child and one ten year old). He gets the socialization. I guess it's just a work in progress and I can't expect him to like the leash right away. If I take him out from and take the leash off, he's fine. It's when the leash goes on that he stops walking.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Oh he goes everywhere with us and is well socialized around my sisters family (one small child and one ten year old). He gets the socialization. I guess it's just a work in progress and I can't expect him to like the leash right away. If I take him out from and take the leash off, he's fine. It's when the leash goes on that he stops walking.
Well, if he is scared, like my friend's Bull Mastiff was, just make sure you reassure him that the noises and things he sees are not going to hurt him and that he is ok outside. It took about 2 months before Chloe, was comfortable out in public. Just be consistent, and he'll be fine :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much. He walked about 10 feet further with me last night and this morning. I think he likes the warmer weather! :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have sorta of the same issue

Think mine didn't see enough of other people and the outside before we got her. She cowars with loud traffic during her walks. And she only will poo or pee not both outside. But walking is becoming a little easier with time.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
ZeldasMom said:
Clip his leash on him and let him drag it around in the house. Once he is comfortable with the leash on in the house, take him out and see how he does. If you have a secure area for him, let him drag the leash around outside. After a few days/weeks of dragging the leash, he should become accostomed to the sensation of it, and should be able to walk with out any troubles.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Tinkerbell wrote:
Clip his leash on him and let him drag it around in the house. Once he is comfortable with the leash on in the house, take him out and see how he does. If you have a secure area for him, let him drag the leash around outside. After a few days/weeks of dragging the leash, he should become accustomed to the sensation of it, and should be able to walk with out any troubles.
That is what I was going to suggest.

Also, have a treat in your hand when you put him on the leash and let him smell it. Walk holding the treat in your hand and in front of his nose and make him follow the smell. After a couple of feet, praise him and give him the treat for walking. Then do it over again. Hopefully that will help him learn to walk on a leash.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this morning was a chore! Zorro just doesn't want to walk. He will when he wants to and when he doesn't want to he quietly sits down. I tried the treats and he would take them but wouldn't walk. I don't want to pull or drag him. I honestly think he is still scared of what lies ahead of the walk. When another dog barks it's ears back and he is trying his hardest to go in the opposite direction. A loud truck comes by, same thing. It's really anything. However when he sees a person he will pull me to get to them. I don't want him to be unhappy.

They both are starting training on the 26th. I don't know if I'm making the right decision going with these people but I have to do something.

·
Registered
99 Posts
a stupid question maybe but is it the leash that the pups not liking..you said he likes to run around the back yard etc but is the leash a problem to him..maybe have him wearing it in the back yard and walking him on it and playing with it and walk around to the front?? Just a idea...I get mine out as often as possible..she stops sometimes on the leash and I just get all goofy and she comes...but she would much rather not have the leash on thats for sure

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe it is the leash. I thought about that, but he doesn't care if you let the leash go. He'll run around and have fun with the leash on. It's when I grab it and start walking down the sidewalk is when he stops. I don't know. I guess I'll listen to what this trainers have to say.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
try walking him with a harness on. We tried this with our dog because he wouldn't walk at first with a regular collar on. The harness pretty much makes them stand up and you just give he/she a few tugs. It almost got to the point where Bubba either walked or he was going to be lifted :D :D :D but either way he was going to do it.
I think when pups are little they are not sure what to expect on walks so they are afraid. Get your dog into a routine and in no time you'll be walking. Try having a partner with you and have them walk in front of you a few times. Your dogs mind will be on the person in front of you rather than the thought of walking.
Try and remember he is young and be patient. Sometimes it is easier said than done but don't get frustrated. I had the exact same questions you have and in a couple of weeks things seem to work themselves out.

Don't be afraid to be firm though. Bullies can be VERY stubborn

1 - 18 of 18 Posts