Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying I am way beyond frustrated. I did not think there was anything in the world that could pee as much as Daisy does. I don't think that it is normal for a puppy to pee as often as she does, but I want to hear some opinions before I have to take her to the vet yet again. It is about impossible to get her on a schedule because she pees about every 20 minutes. Even if I take her out every 15 minutes, she finds a way to pee right beside me. I have caught her in the act numerous times and tried to correct with a stern 'NO', only to walk her directly outside to praise her for doing it where she is supposed to. She has decided to pick up the habit of pooping in her crate in the last two days also. She has no problem messing in her crate, and then continuing to bark afterwards. Whether she is in her crate for 20 minutes or 3 hours, she will pee inside the darn thing. What happened to the whole 'I don't want to soil my area' thing? My other dog Chaucer was not easy to housebreak, but compared to this, it was a piece of cake. Daisy is almost 12 weeks old, but she seems to be digressing. Had I not been doing what I am supposed to, I wouldn't be so frustrated, but frankly, I am getting way too tired of cleaning out her crate this often, giving her baths (about twice a day), and having to wipe up my floor so darned often. I honestly take her outside about every 20 minutes that I am awake, even though most of the time she will squat and nothing will come out. I have reached my wit's end guys and I need help. :angry5: :banghead:

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I think the crate may be too small, most dogs will not poop in there crate. But I have heard some cases that do, but this is usually because the puppy was taking away from the mother to soon. When was Daisy taken away from her mother?

I also had this problem with Abby around the same age, with accidents in the house. We took a bunch of pennies and put it in a tin coffee can and in the middle of when she was peeing we would shake it and it would be really loud. She would stop peeing and we would take her outside to continue.

You'll get by this, don't worry. If you think it could be a urninary problem, I would call your vet and askt hem about it. Before it could get serious.

Hope I helped you and believe me, we have all gone through this at one point with our dogs too :wink:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got her when she was 6 weeks, so that is a possibility. I have a bit of a feeling that she may actually have been less than 6 weeks when I got her, and may have been lied to, but that is another story.

You said her crate may be too small? Is that what you meant or did you mean too big? I dont think it is too small yet as she has enough room to lay down and turn around with a bit to spare. It definitely is not too big anymore, but she will need a new one shortly, so that one may be too big for a bit unless I block it off.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
How old is she now???

Lol, calm down, puppies are peeing machines. The crate must be small. She is just still too young yet.

What I learned with Dixie, was that she was similar. So, I would lay a single floded piece of newspaper in her pen, where she could pee on it if she had to. I ONLY did this until13 or 14 weeks old, this wasnt really for her, but for me as it would help absorb the pee and keep it from puddling so she wasnt swimming in it all the time.

When loose in the house, I pottied her and now potty the pups every 1/2 hour. Kato still pees once in awhile here and there-but he's trying.
I place a single folded peice of newspaper by the glass door.
I noticed this worked because they relate the paper to the paper they pottyed on in their cage earlier(!) and when I noticed her going to it, Id just slip open the dorr and let he rout.

My 2 are crate trained/potty trained 100% now, and Kato is 95%. he wont go in his cage, but still does on the floor every now and then!
It takes time, shes been through alot, be patient, it will calm, I promise!

Dixie was finally fully trianed at 5 months. Thats early. My Sass never house broke until 9 years old!!!LOL! Thats when she became a house dog!!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
First off you need to nip this int he butt cause once they start going int eh crate it is very hard to break them of that habit.
Don't allow her to have so much freedom. To much freedom is a bad thing.Only let her out of the crate when you are able to keep an eye on her. Normally they start to sniff around before they pee or poo so keep eyes wide open :shock:
The crate may be to big.It should be big enough for them to stand up in and turn around and that's it.You can buy deviders for the crates if that's the case.You must make a schedule for her.Before she goes into crate outside to potty,comes out of crate right outside to potty,after napping,playing,eating,drinking and of course of you are going out have her go potty before she goes into the crate.Make sure there is no food or water inside the crate with her.
Does she bark? The reason I ask this is because I thought Buster was never going to get housebroken but what I found was he doesn't bark he would paw at the door and if I couldn't hear so I hung bells from my front door and back door and taught him to use the bells when he has to go potty.He knows the word outside so when I was teaching him I grabbed his paw touched the bells and said outside and then would let him out and did this all day and buy the end of the day he got it and hasn't had an accident since( knock on wood).Worth a try.GOOD LUCK!!!!!
Oh yea, I would do every 15 20 minutes let her out to potty and see how that goes and if it works then you can go to every 30 minutes and work your way to longer time periods.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was a little bit frustrated yesterday. Could y'all tell? After my rant last night, I got home from work and took Daisy outside. When we came back in after a little playtime, she walked up to the door and sat there. I was up in a flash and we went outside so she could go again. We got back in and played some more, she went to the door and sat there again for me to take her out. She went as soon as we hit the grass. Woohoo! Progress.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm gonna try that bells thing myself. Harley WILL NOT bark to let me know she has to go out. Her only accidents are in the middle of the night. I've been keeping my BR door shut, and that helps. Harley's not a barker, so I think the bells will be good. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
nanniesrock said:
I'm gonna try that bells thing myself. Harley WILL NOT bark to let me know she has to go out. Her only accidents are in the middle of the night. I've been keeping my BR door shut, and that helps. Harley's not a barker, so I think the bells will be good. Thanks!
I'm telling you if it wasn't for the bells Buster would still be peeing everywhere with out a doubt.He picked up on it so fast,I was and still am amazed.I have four bells that we hung on rope and screwed into the wood frame of the front and back door.I bought the bells at the arts and crafts store and they had many sizes.I stood there and shook all of them till I found a pair of loud ones..........LOL Good luck and let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
All I can say is be patient and follow the advice above. They just don't have the bladder control at 12 weeks. 3 hours is way to long to be in the crate at 12 weeks also IMHO. I was very lucky with Stoli and was able to take her everywhere with me for about 4 weeks. She however had an excitment peeing problem that she is just now getting over at 6 months. Stay diligent and consistant with your training....she will come around I am sure. :D

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Take a urine sample and give it to your vet!!!!!!!!!!!

This is about the age that we noticed Lucy getting worse, we ignored it and plugged away at trying to get her trained. She ended up having a UTI, which lead to Bladder Infection. She has been on Antibiotics for over 2 months now, we still haven't figured out what is wrong.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Bremner53 said:

This is about the age that we noticed Lucy getting worse, we ignored it and plugged away at trying to get her trained. She ended up having a UTI, which lead to Bladder Infection. She has been on Antibiotics for over 2 months now, we still haven't figured out what is wrong.
Poor Lucy!! I forgot she was on meds.Wow,Two months and still on meds.Does she seem to be getting better or is she the same?

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Kelly said:
Bremner53 said:

Poor Lucy!! I forgot she was on meds.Wow,Two months and still on meds.Does she seem to be getting better or is she the same?
She is fine when she is on them, as soon as we take her off them it comes back. Yesterday she got xrayed and there was no stones, so they took a urine sample and sent it away to see if there is something they are missing. Also yesterday we switched her antibiotics to a different kind. Hopefully we can figure it out soon.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I hope they figure out what is going on with her.Maybe the change in meds will work.Sometimes one med may not be strong enough were another is.Keep us posted on Lucy and give her a big (((((((((((HUG)))))))))) from Buster and I.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Kelly said:
I hope they figure out what is going on with her.Maybe the change in meds will work.Sometimes one med may not be strong enough were another is.Keep us posted on Lucy and give her a big (((((((((((HUG)))))))))) from Buster and I.
Thanks, I will Hug her for you guys :wink: :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts