Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the people with two dogs, does your more dominant dog constantly try and hump, in a show of domination, to your other dog?

Zeus "humps" Sibyl anytime he thinks she is "winning" in a play-fight or if he is trying to get her to play. Sibyl allows it to happen for two-seconds, then growls and slams Zeus to the ground -- where they continue to play. He is smiling the whole time, having the time of his life too.

My question is in how to handle. I have heard/read two different things. One, you just let it go, as that is how the dogs establish pack order amongst themselves. Or, the other is to not make a big deal about it, but to casually pull Zeus off.

Both dogs are "fixed."

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
OH YEAH! That's our main issue in our house right now. Shelby is the female (boxer), and she is fixed, but since she was there first she's having a hard time giving up her position as "alpha". Koda is the male (pitbull), he is not fixed, but since he's a male and was the alpha of his litter, he wants to be boss. We're currently let them play it out right now so they can determine who's going to be alpha, but I feel your pain, and our house is constantly full of "humping"...no pun intended :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Bam humps the neighbor Rotty when they play. She lets him know when to stop. They're both fixed too.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
both my dogs are fixed but Holly humps Chapps, especially in play!!! At first we yelled at her, but Chapps never seems to mind so we just let her do it!
It's quite funny!!

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
mine used to hump , but i dont allow it. humping in this house gets severe punishment, as its not allowed as it can lead to a fight rather quick.. the minute one humps he/she gets pulled off and reprimanded severely.. i wont tolerate humping at all.. it is better to not allow it , as a fight could break out rather quickly IMHO

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My dogs(female GSD-older, male APBT-younger) hump each other. I usually pull whoevers humping off b/c I dont wanna hear Tasha aka Miss. Growly Pants(GSD) barking. But at other times I let them work it out.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I absolutely do not allow it. Not with any of my five dogs, and not with any of their playmates. Yes, it is to establish dominance or who is the alpha. But in my house we have already established that. I am their alpha, they are all followers of equal status. It never happens with any of my adults. Although my 13 week old has tried it a couple time. I correct him by "biting" him (Cesar Milan style). You know where you use your hand as a mouth and "bite" them on the neck or flank. If he gets carried away or snaps at me (which he did once), I "alpha roll" him.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My two lads do it usually at some point in a play fight .I tell them to stop and they always jump straight off.Personally I dont make to big a thing out of it they are dogs thats what dogs do.Mine also lick each others tiddlers at every oportunity I tell them to stop that as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm so glad i've seen this thread, for about a month now my english mastiff x has been humping my mastiff x amstaff. I was really worried about it at first and wondered what the heck was going on, now I realise its a dominance thing, tha's the bit I dont understand....the english mastiff (Samson) is the boss and always has been and he is the one doing the humping. The only thing I can relate it to is when Obi was neutered, is he maybe giving off different signals now and Samson feels he has to reassert his dominance?

Samson also licks Obi's thing at every given opportunity :oops: Obi is always the instigator of this, he goes and sits in front of Samson and paws at his head till he starts licking..yuck!
I'm glad my dogs aren't the only ones who enjoy an intimate r/ship with each other :roll:

Fee x x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts