Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't know which forum to put this in so...

The wife and I are considering adopting another puppy... At this point we both have some concerns and the only "bully breed" people in the area are APBT groups (they alittle biased)... :? We currently have an almost 10 month old female AB, she is going to be on the small end of the weight standard (runt-of-the-litter) and three mature cats. Where we live there are no AB breeders, and all "pit bull" look-alikes and not adopted out by local shelters. :shock: Puppy or otherwise! :evil:

So, what I am wanting to know:

-Do many registered breeders ship their puppies, or is it better to pick up in person? We won't be able to make multiple trips to select and pick up a puppy out of state.
-I have heard that it is better to own one male and one female rather that two females. Is this the case with ABs (or other non-APBT bully breeds)?
-Should/Could they share the same kennel space? Or should they have their own space for during the days while we at work? (Current kennel is 8x20, half covered, cedar chip floor - could build another but it would be further away from the house.)
-Should I get a different breed for better compatibility?
-Other concerns?

(I have had some issues w/ APBT puppies, most all rescued ones in the area are aggressive already as puppies. With children in the neighborhood and other animals in the house, I cannot risk it.) :cry:

·
Registered
807 Posts
I would not get the same sex. They would need different pens for sure. Our breeder had no problems with shipping, he doesnt like to do it but he will. So I dont see that as a problem.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I as well have been looking into getting an AB and found that many breeders will ship there pup.Most breeders I have been in contact with have said the charge for shipping a pup is around $200 depending on were you live.I have also been told from many that you should really go and see were your pup is coming from,see the parents,see the temperament of the parents and pups this way you are not just going on what you have been told by the breeder.We finally found a breeder who we think we may go with.She is 7 hours from us but we are willing to take that drive just because I do want to see the parents for myself and see how the pups act.I am not saying that having the pup shipped is bad because I have known people who had that done and they got a great pup so it really depends on you.I searched on line for a month typing in everything from AB in PA and so on till I found what I was looking for.I also checked out shelters near me and the local paper.Another good tip was when I did find a breeder I was interested in I went online and checked her background with the better burro business( I think that is it) to make sure she didn't have any complaints,law suits and so on.Good luck with your search.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
RoxyV2 said:
(I have had some issues w/ APBT puppies, most all rescued ones in the area are aggressive already as puppies. With children in the neighborhood and other animals in the house, I cannot risk it. :cry:
APBT aren't normally human agressive as puppies, it's bad training and bad owners that make them agressive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts