Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First again - My name is Mike and my baby's name is Jezabel - 15 Week old OEBD.
I trained my APB with no really issues but now I am running into little issues

1st - She don't like the stairs she'll go up but not down.

2nd - the people that had her before me paper trained her kinda. she will goto the paper but she won't use the paper for both urine and poo.
I crated my first dog but my GF doesn't like that idea especially for 7 to 8 hours I agree but with me working 14 hours hsifts and her unable to come home I am at a loss, I really don't want her thinking it is alright using the house as a toilet, and I would like her to get to using outside.

3rd - How do I get her use to the noise and activities of daily life if she won't walk, a friend give her no choice but I dont want her draggin behind me like I see these guys draggin their dogs down the street and having nothing but an aggressive or cowaring dog.

I use a harness with a 4.5 ft leash shortened to about 3ft - as far as housebreakng I wait about 45 minutes to an hour after she eats and then once every couple of hours around that.

·
Registered
451 Posts
1 - Most puppies are afraid of the stairs (especially going down) Boss wouldn't go down the stairs until about a month after we got him. Remember, puppies aren't very coordinated :D

2 - 14 hours is too long for her to hold it. Especially for a young pup. Once they're about 4 - 5 months old, they should be able to hold it for about 6 - 7hrs. Some can and will hold it for about 8 - 9. If you want, instead of crate training her, try keeping her in an isolated area with the papers down. Like the kitchen, or something.

3 - You don't have to drag her on the leash! Just gradually let her get to know the area and surroundings. For the first little while, try just taking her like 20ft back and forth and keep up with the "happy talk." Ensure her that the noises she hears and things she sees are ok and will not hurt her.

AND good luck :D Let us know how it goes :p

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Just hook her leash up to her around the house and let her run it around with it for a while. That will help her get used to somethhing being attached to her.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hey Mike, first of all I just wanted to let you know I love the name Jezabel!! It is just too cute!! :lol:

1. I think in time she will adjust to the stairs.

2. I believe in crates!! Is there anyway you or your GF could come home during the day to let her potty?? If not try to keep her in a bathroom or another small room with a dog/baby gate so she can't get out and keep paper down.

3. I agree with the letting her run around with the leash attached to her collar. This helps most of the time. I was watching the "Dog Whisper" the other night, and it just so happened there was a dog that was afraid of noises, people, cars etc. The guy on the show said if her tail is between her legs, just kneel on the side of the dog and hold the tail up for the dog. Then just hold it up for her for a while. It is suppose to make them feel more confident. Not sure if it will work for you, but maybe you could give it a try. He supposedly knows his stuff!!

Good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts