Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - it just came over our local news that our area is now providing a rabies
shot that lasts three years. First timers still have to get a booster after the first year
and then it is every three years. This is cool and is suppose to help the old pocket book. Anyone else heard of this in their area? This should definately help to encourage people to adopt if they do not feel it will be as costly.
:D

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I've heard of it, but I don't know if it's available around here. Definately will be nice!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
That would be nice! How much do rabies vaccinations typically cost? I could have sworn Bella's wasn't more than $9 or $10.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
bella_blue said:
That would be nice! How much do rabies vaccinations typically cost? I could have sworn Bella's wasn't more than $9 or $10.
Haus' cost $9 for the shot and then $9 to register him with the county health department. But when you throw the visit in there, it can get expensive. You know how our vet works!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
bella_blue said:
Haus' cost $9 for the shot and then $9 to register him with the county health department. But when you throw the visit in there, it can get expensive. You know how our vet works!
Oh...that's right. We mailed our registration in about a day before it was due. I think we would have had to pay twice as much if we had gotten it in past 30 days. :)

Yeah...I pretty much hate our vet. The next time Bella has to go to the vet for anything, we're going to check out a new one.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
bella_blue said:
HausMommy said:
bella_blue said:
Oh...that's right. We mailed our registration in about a day before it was due. I think we would have had to pay twice as much if we had gotten it in past 30 days. :)

Yeah...I pretty much hate our vet. The next time Bella has to go to the vet for anything, we're going to check out a new one.
We're going somewhere else too. One of my customers is a vet tech at Fairway Knolls. It's all females there and they are around our age. I'm going to check it out I think.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
HausMommy said:
We're going somewhere else too. One of my customers is a vet tech at Fairway Knolls. It's all females there and they are around our age. I'm going to check it out I think.
Cool! Let me know how that works! We're going to try Ambassador. A lady I work with has dogs with allergies, and she highly recommended this place.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Well you guys got me thinking :-k What about a sticky where you could put the Vets. you liked down. I'm pretty sure I've seen this before on another forum, not anything where you bash a vet but you could say who does well with bullys or offers payment plans etc. Just a thought :?:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think the majority of vets out there use a 3yr vaccine. The 3 yr vaccine is nothing new. The problem is some areas have laws stating you must do it every year (even if the manufacturer states its good for 3yrs) and since some people don't know any better you have alot of vets taking advantage of people by administering the rabies shot every year even in areas where the 3 yr vaccine is legal. I have a friend who lives in my area and their vet has been givng their dog a rabies shot every year for the last 5 years! I told him to question his vet and he thought he he would have to do it every year to get a dog tag which isn't true. My vet will give me a health certficate or rabies tag each year if I need it even though I only give my dogs the shot every 3 yrs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We have 3 year Rabies vaccines at the clinic I work at but because it is Texas and we have lots of Rabies outbreaks around here (mostly because of the large skunk population) we do a 2 year vaccine. Some of our clients who travel with their pets alot get a 1 year booster because of certain states and areas that require it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have lived in North Carolina and they have the 3 year one and they give you a Certificate with the tag # and the date that it was given and the date that it runs out to keep for your records, here in Virginia where we live now they have it and give you the same certificate but in the county that we live in you have to have a dog license as well and you have to give them a copy of the certificate in order to get the dog license

1 - 12 of 12 Posts