Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, well after the runny diarrhea followed by blood, find out that he has cocidlia. A week pass and taking the Antibotic he was doing really good and his stools are nice a hard. Now after taking him out I caught him eating what I though was bark and when I made him take it out it looked like dry poop. I think he might started to eat his own poop now in his crate cause every morney his crate has a bad odor but I cant seem to see whats causing it. How can i stop this bad habbit of him eating his own poop. I feed him 3 times a day and I'm sure it is enough. He eliminates regularly also. Have you EB owners went through this bad habbit with your pup before??? If so how do come to correct this bad habbit. I also work all day and I feed him morning and evening. My wife feeds him lunch and puts him out to do his thing. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
one thing could be that he is getting toooo much food. How much are your feeding him at those 3 meals?

Ususally when dogs eat poo it isnt because they are hungry but becuase they are lacking nutrition and are trying to make up for it by eating their waste. What kind of food is he on? The food could also have caused his cocidlia

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't really think that it is because they are lacking nutrition, but I am not sure??? I know that they can go potty and eat their poo because their bodies are not absorbing all the nutrition, and to them it still smells like food. I went through the same thing. My vet said to sprinkle a little meat tenderizer on their food. It doesn't do anything to the dog, but when they poo it smells bad to them so they won't eat it.

Good luck though, I feel your pain!

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
There is a product that you add to their food. I think it is called Deter (sp???) Apparently it doesn't have a taste or smell before it gets digested - but it does after. Not sure - never had to use it (THANK DOG!)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
There is a product that you add to their food. I think it is called Deter (sp???) Apparently it doesn't have a taste or smell before it gets digested - but it does after. Not sure - never had to use it (THANK DOG!)
My vet sells the same stuff! But....It is the same exact ingredient as meat tenderizer!!! You just pay a ton more for it.

Just like the glucosamine I bought from the vet. I can get the same thing at Costco for less than half the price of what I paid at the vet. Of course he told me this AFTER I bought his product :roll: .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kate said:
one thing could be that he is getting toooo much food. How much are your feeding him at those 3 meals?

Ususally when dogs eat poo it isnt because they are hungry but becuase they are lacking nutrition and are trying to make up for it by eating their waste. What kind of food is he on? The food could also have caused his cocidlia
I feed him eukanuba and I fill the bottom of his bowl nothing more 3 times a day. So the meat tenderizer should work huh? I will try it then and see.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
boxerdanica said:
I feed him eukanuba and I fill the bottom of his bowl nothing more 3 times a day. So the meat tenderizer should work huh? I will try it then and see.
Well hopefully the meat tenderizer will work for you.

Just FYI, check out the food sticky thread at the top of this section. This might be why he is eating his poo. Eukanuba is not a very good food. It has lots of fillers in it such as corn which just go straight through the body leaving no nutrition to be absorbed

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kate said:
Eukanuba is not a very good food. It has lots of fillers in it such as corn which just go straight through the body leaving no nutrition to be absorbed
Actually it says corn meal, not corn.

Corn meal is corn with most of the protein, oils and fiber removed, leaving mostly carbs.

Corn = 8% protein, 62% carbs, the rest fiber, oils, etc..

Corn meals is mostly carbs.

Corn gluten is the opposite, mostly corn protein. Not a good protein source because it lacks in essential amino acids.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
alot of times when dogs eat poop it is a lack of chloraphyll in the diet. adding holkamix, kelp supplement or green veg to the diet will sometimes completely eradicate the problem. other times, well it is just poop eating and training is the answer

·
Registered
66 Posts
we feed our dog dvp duck and potato and he eats his own poop, we gave him detur and i worked he hasnt eaten his own poop since. now when i go to my parents house he just eats my parents dogs poop so i cant win.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
flaxseedoil1000 said:
Kate said:
Eukanuba is not a very good food. It has lots of fillers in it such as corn which just go straight through the body leaving no nutrition to be absorbed
Actually it says corn meal, not corn.

Corn meal is corn with most of the protein, oils and fiber removed, leaving mostly carbs.

Corn = 8% protein, 62% carbs, the rest fiber, oils, etc..

Corn meals is mostly carbs.

Corn gluten is the opposite, mostly corn protein. Not a good protein source because it lacks in essential amino acids.
wouldnt this make it even worse?

·
Banned
205 Posts
ryno255 said:
we feed our dog dvp duck and potato and he eats his own poop, we gave him detur and i worked he hasnt eaten his own poop since. now when i go to my parents house he just eats my parents dogs poop so i cant win.
:laughing8:

Maybe you could carry some tabasco sauce in your pocket and sprinkle it on all the poo you come across. Well, actually that may not be a good idea for a number of reasons, top of the list being that you would look insane. :lol:

-- mr c

·
Registered
91 Posts
My buddy used this Solid Gold product:

S.E.P (Stop Eating Poop) (Not Available in TX, IA)

3.5 oz Container Price: $9.67

Product Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The active ingredient in S.E.P. is Glutamic Acid. When Glutamic Acid is mixed with the stomach acids, the stool becomes bitter to the taste, which deters the dog from eating the stool.

Protein, Min. 14%
Fat, Min. 2.16%
Fiber, Max. 11%
Moisture, Max. 11.7%

Ingredients
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dicalcium Phosphate | Rice Flour | Glutamic Acid | Peppermint | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Beef Liver | Oil of Parsley | Natural Flavoring |

·
Registered
66 Posts
mr c said:
ryno255 said:
:laughing8:

Maybe you could carry some tabasco sauce in your pocket and sprinkle it on all the poo you come across. Well, actually that may not be a good idea for a number of reasons, top of the list being that you would look insane. :lol:

-- mr c
thats funny :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 5 month Staff. I read that the main ingredient in tenderizer is an enzyme from papaya juice. Because I live in Chile I think papayas might be cheaper than any kind of other product. Do you think papaya pieces would work the same or is it some other part of the tenderizing product?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I WAS having the issue with my female puppy APBT.....she ate her own poop, fresh or old....i was told it was because females apparently like to clean up after themselves....but as she is getting older, she no longer does it

But I guess its not true about the females "cleaning up after themselves" if your male is doing it too :?

·
Registered
182 Posts
are you taking him out to potty in the night?
At his age he's only good for about 6 hours.
When is his last meal?
Any way if he's gotten in trouble for poo in his crate or in the house ..and he has to go at night, he's learned to hide (eat) the evidence, so he doesn't get into trouble.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts