Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Just got a new pup in the house and my pit that has never shown aggressive tenndencies actually growled and bit me on the hand causing great damage.
He is now the alpha male it seems with me and I cannot walk him or go near him when he growls at the puppy. My husband wants to put him down because he feels he can't be trusted anymore. I'm confused and I don't want to.
are there any steps I can take to make him happy and adjusted to the new member of our family?
It is a female so there are no alpha issues there.
He is 90 pounds and so powerful , they are amazing beautiful dogs. And I love him But...........
:(

·
Registered
195 Posts
time to call cesaer millan........lol......i leave this one to the more proffessionals. best of luck tho.

imo= if i had a dog of mine bite any body in my house he would be gone.

but is there anything about the dogs past that could of cuased this. i know you said 7 years. so you obviously have had him for quite awhile.....like i said some one else on here will know more.
and WELCOME

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thankyou.
since that day I have found out he had an ear infection and I've been cleaning his ears with no problem and putting meds in them. And he has bad legs. we've had him his whole life and I really think he had a bad day.
the vet said that I should never have gotten inbetween two dogs. Best to let them fight it out.
so all has been well. I can't put him down now. He's back to his docile self. even the mailman came to is rescue. everyone knows him on the block.
and my husnand would be heart broken. also I've heard from a lot of people that they have been bitten by their own dogs. Half of all bites reported. amazing.
so everyone out there keep their hands out of the dogs mouth. and let them fight it out.
I have always told people big dogs growl warning and bite if you don't listen. little dogs bite first and ask questiions later. I should have listened to my own advice.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Uh, you can't let a full grown pit bull fight it out with any dog, the pit bull would wind up killing the other dog.
How old is the puppy? You were trying to break up a fight when you got bitten?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:? they were fighting over bones that buddy had not touched in three years ( alpha male complex perhaps)? and He started growling so I started to pick up all the bones and try and seperate them because he tossed her, she's a 8 lb. mutt. and when i went to take a bone from near him he turned my way and got my hand. it was so fast and such a surprise especially when the blood was pouring out of my vein like a bad horror movie. By the time I called 911 and got the cops there he was crying for me and his old self. and no problems since. they sleep together, eat together and play nice now.
I don't understand it. Is it possible for them to just have a bad day with a new dog in the house?
also our vet said no rough housing which all the guys around here love to do with him and tug of war which he always wins, even with his bad over bite. so all that has stopped.
He is our first dog and my love for him is so strong. he was the reject of the litter. they were going to destroy him because of his overbite and colitis and allergies and a tumor on his tail. he's 7 but acts 10 or 12. just lays around. can't walk too good. I figure he's not long for this world anyway.
thankyou so much all of you for this advice. it's helping me so much to talk it out. I don't know how I can thank you for all this. He was even gentle with my pet rats and degu's and gerbils. played with them and let them walk all over him.
I don't work so they are hardly left alone for more than an hour.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before Maggie passed, we had both her and Sasha (our bully) for about a year. About 6 months ago they go into it pretty badly a couple times. So we had rules. No being alone together, no rough housing aloud, and no food toys without direct active supervision. Everything went fine after we set those rules.
Maggie was actually MORE aggressive about food and toys than Sasha ever has been. So I think when they got into their fights, it was Maggie starting it, and Sasha was going to finish it (as has been said by many about bullys).
Now that Maggie is gone, we had Sasha around some of our relative's dogs and she plays with them like she is a puppy, never actually touching them, mostly doing a chase game, with a nip here and there to instigate a chase.
And we are thinking we will be ready (emotionally) to get another dog after the holidays, but I think the same rules will apply.
One just never knows and I would hate to walk into the aftermath.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts