Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my new EB from the breeder on Tuesday and since then he's been refusing to eat dry food. I've been mixing in canned food, dry food, and a little bit of warm water and he loves it. I don't want him to get used to eating canned food. What would be the best way to wean him off the canned food and to eat dry food exclusively?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I would put a little water in the dry food to soften it, then start adding less and less water. Or you could just start decreasing the mix that you made making it more and mre dry food until it is all dry........What was the breeder feeding the puppy? Are you feeding it the same thing? Have you tried to weened it to your brand? It can be very rough on there little tummies to do an immediate change yo always have to ween any dog from one brand or type to another brand or type.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your breeder should have sent you home with a small supply of the food he was feeding him. Angie7349 is right about slowly decreasing the amount of wet food mixed in with the kibble until the wet is out of the equation. I add a little water to Bellas kibble to help it stay in her mouth. She used to fling kibble everywhere! :eek:

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Are you free feeding? When you feed him leave it down for 20 min then pull it up. Do the same thing at the next scheduled feeding time. When he gets hungry he will eat. I would also soften it with water as also suggested.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
OMG!! I can't get mine to eat wet food. Hubby brought her home yesterday and along the way he stopped to get her a can of puppy food until he could go to petco and get her some dry food. She won't touch it!! I had to give her some chicken this morning just so that she would have something on her belly. He is on his way home now with dry puppy food :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts