Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, Here are some new pictures.. He is growing soo fast.. Its funny, before he would barely eat, now he chows down.. He finally is starting to get used to his leash.. Usually he just follows me w/o it.. But he can't only get used to that.. Let me know what you all think!
-Matt
Enjoy!! :D

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I think I want to kiss that cute little puppy belly!!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Ohmygosh! He's so freakin' cute!!! He really makes me miss Bella when she was that age. Be extra careful with that choke chain, though. I hope that's not his regular around-the-house collar. They should only be used for training as they are HUGE choking hazards. A flat nylon buckle collar would be a much safer alternative to the choke chain. I'd hate to hear of anything bad happening to this sweetie pie!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I was going to say the same about the collar, but she beat me to it. So I get to just grin and giggle and say what a cute baby he is, and that I want to razz his fat puppy belly! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I love the wrinkles on his bellly!!!!!!!!! He is soooo cute!!!! Looks so much like Bella.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
bella_blue said:
Ohmygosh! He's so freakin' cute!!! He really makes me miss Bella when she was that age. Be extra careful with that choke chain, though. I hope that's not his regular around-the-house collar. They should only be used for training as they are HUGE choking hazards. A flat nylon buckle collar would be a much safer alternative to the choke chain. I'd hate to hear of anything bad happening to this sweetie pie!
i second that. a choke chain is NOT a collar to be worn regular, it should be used for training and training only, and even for training i dont recommend them because they cause so much damage to a dogs neck

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
He's adorable. Heidi almost hung herself with a nylon collar when she was about four months old. We don' even do those anymore. I'm way too paraniod. She slippied off a planter and hung herself on a sprinkler pipe. Thank god I was there! She snapped the pipe and water went spraying everywhere!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everybody.. I have a nylon collar for him also.. I got him the choker chain because it is what we have used with my parents chow chows, and my uncle has them on his pit-bulls.. I dont put any stress on the chain though when he is on the leash.. I had him on a harness and he didn't like it at all.. What do you all mean as far as choking hazard? like getting it stuck in his mouth and gagging him?? Also, the only time he really wears it is when I take him w/ me to my girlfriends or to my parents, and when he gets there I take it off.. Its used more or less when we are out.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
he can hang himself with it. Or if he's scratching, his face his foot could get caught in it and pull it tight to choke himself. All kinds of horrible things could happen. He seems extremely young to be using that when yo go on walks too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the most part, he doesnt even wear the leash right now.. he walks by my side.. I need to get him used to the leash also though, because he wont be able to walk leashless when he gets bigger..
-Matt

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chico.Heidi said:
he can hang himself with it. Or if he's scratching, his face his foot could get caught in it and pull it tight to choke himself. All kinds of horrible things could happen. He seems extremely young to be using that when yo go on walks too.
Hi, I just saw in your avatar that the dogs are wearing the harness.. Do you feel that would be the better thing for Achilles to have?? I do have one for him..
-Matt

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
We had a bad accident a couple months ago with my dogs. Heidi somehow hooked her lower jaw under Chico's collar and was choking him. The more she would try to break free, the tighter the collar got and the more he choked. He ended up vomitting alot of blood and we had to take him to the E.R. His lungs were swollen and full of blood and he was in shock. After that, I'm a little leery of letting my dogs wear collars. They are at that age where they just want to wrestle all day and they are constantly grabbing at eachother's throats. My situation is a little diferent though because I have two dogs. We've had a couple of incidents though and now I'm just overly cautious I guess. These breeds are extremely rowdy and capable of getting into all kinds of trouble. All of our accidents have happened with me or my husband standing within 10 ft. of our dogs so you can imagine if they are left alone.

I usually use a prong collar on both of my dogs when we go on walks so that we can work on our training. I use a harness though when I take them to the park because I don't want any accidents when they are playing. There have been a couple of articles posted on here or the old forum that talk about the dangers of choke chains. They are very strenuous on a dog's neck and spine. Prong collars are much more humane. Despite the looks of them, they do not cause the same kind of stress to their spine. I'm really kinda new to this and sorta just relaying info that I've read on this forum. I would recommend trying a harness because your puppy is so young. I had problems just getting my dogs to walk at that age. You wouldn't want to give them a negative experience at such a young age in my opinion. Also, getting into some puppy obedience really helped me. I learned how to properly give corrections and so forth.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem Heidi, I appreciate the information b/c I deffinately dont want any accidents with him and the coller!! That is what is so good about forums like this! I would have never known! Anyways, I gotta run.. Thank you also for the comment on the banner.. Im going to try to make a better one later, I just made that last night real quick..I'll probalby have more pictures of him during the weekend b/c i'm going away to my parents vacation house up in Tampa.. I will talk to you all later!!
-Matt

O and one other question.. What do you all feed your dogs?? My g/f's brother is the manager at PetCo and he gave me Nutro Large Breed Puppy.. Achilles loves it, but I was wondering what everybody else is feeding their dogs.. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
OMG what a cutie pie! Those wrinkle, that belly....love it!!

Since everyone already touched on that choker, i'll respond to your food question. I use Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Lamb and Rice Formula and my dogs do very well on it. :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I wouldn't put the choke collar on your pup if no one is around to keep an eye on him.Take it off when you are not home or are unable to watch him.My dog had one and some how it got stuck in her crate on the wires and she had also got it stuck in one of our floor vents so the collar went buy buys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts