Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if someone could tell me the best way to teach my 8 week old pitbull pup to walk on a leash. I put it on him and he dam near chokes himself. I've never had a dog before and i wanted to get one while my daughter is young so she can grow up with him. while i'm asking questions; how long does it normally take to house break a puppy?

Thanks alot.

Tim

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Your pup is too young to go on walks, but if you just attach the leash and let her walk around with it on, you might want to get a cheap on cause she'll chew on it. Your gonna want to teach her to come. give her a small treat, cut up hot dogs works great, every time you call her and she comes, You want her to think that coming to you is a great thing. about house traing your pup, it all depends on the pup, just like kids the timing differ. your better off to get a crate, will make potty training go much easier.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For walking on the leash. I normally start them with getting use to a harness (or collar if you choose) on them first. After a little bit to a couple days, depending on their reaction, I attach a light weight leash and allow them to drag it around. Just don't leave them unattended, because it might get caught on something.

I encourage them to follow me using their prey drive. I normally drag a favorite toy or a rag to stimulate the puppy's instinct to chase. As the puppy gets used to this, I bring the object in closer and closer to me until I am holding it. This gets the puppy's attention focused up on you. Praise any eye contact. At intervals I stop and sit the puppy, then allow him to play with and mouth the toy. After about 10 -15 seconds I ask for the toy back and off we go again. During this time, pick up the leash while the puppy is moving forward readily. If he stops, do not pull him. Use the toy to entice him foward and praise him when he moves.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We had problems with Tanner at first. I first just had a regular collar for him and tried putting the light leash on and letting him drag it around but that did not work. So I bought him a harness and the first time I tried, he walked. I think he liked it better. Good luck. Of course our walks at the point were just around the front yard. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks alot for the info so far. I think this will help. I am starting to crate train him, but he whines ALL night long and I feel like i'm hurting him.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Another thing you could do is warm up a hot water bottle and wrap it in a towel and put it in your pups crate. I used this when I brought my Apbt home and he slept all through the night! Cute puppy by the way! :D

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
I would just put his collar and leash on, and let him walk around the house with it.

As for the pulling/choking...if you allow him to pull, he'll pull. If you go forward, he sees that pulling is ok, and he'll get where he wants by pulling. Our trainer told us to stop...give a firm "eh-eh" sound, and the second he lets up just a bit, tell him what a good boy he is and continue walking. Repeat the process as necessary. It takes a while, but our big boy doesn't pull at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts