Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

My wife and I have recently become the proud parents of a beautiful 5 month old red-nose brindled AmStaff boy. We got him from a boy going off to college on a random evening, but she'd wanted an APBT for some time. We've been absorbing every piece of liturature, training, and breed advice we can find, along with Caesar Millan's training materials. We've already had the family freak-out session, and have dealt with it, but we'd like to be good breed ambassadors by maintaining a strict environment and a perfectly trained dog.

I guess I'm sort of here just looking for advice and experience from people that have owned these dogs before to good effect.

Some of the things I've heard from many books that I'd like advice about:

The dog's temperment changes significantly at 18 months. (??)
Dog-agression is more prevalent if the /other/ dog is poorly controlled.
As an adult dog, he should ALWAYS be crated when unsupervised.
He can never be walked off leash.
He can never be taken to a dog park.

Currently we walk Red twice a day, for a half hour each before feeding in the morning and at dusk, and spend at least two hours playing with him to wear him out :) He's very well behaved, heeling perfectly with minor pulling (we use a choke collar which I try to keep high on his neck, but it tends to slide), he sits immediately when meeting another dog - something we require, allows us to take his food, and does not chase the cats. He does seem to be wonderful at ignoring me when he's impatient though. I've been just waiting him out and not giving in, as I've read if you give in once it's all over.

During the day while we're at work he's crated to prevent mischief. We have several cats and currently he cuddles up to them happily, but I've read that he wont tolerate them when he's older.

I'm hoping to learn from y'all how much truth there is in all of this - I'm a bit overwhelmed now. To sweeten the deal though, here are some pictures of my boy :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
465 Posts
FIRST OFF WELCOME THE FORUM :hello2:
You should be able to get lots of good info from this site there are lots of people that will try to help out any way that they can. Just keep checking this post in sure alot of people will be posting replys very soon. From what you wrote allready you sound like you got alot of things under control

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Welcome to the fourms
only surgestion i could give is to get a prong collar to replace the choke collar
these are much more safe for your dog as they aply presure evenlyaround the dogs neck
where as a choke collar put all the pressure in the front which can damage a dogs lyrnx
it sounds like your doing your reserch and all and im sure your new pup will do great

agian welcome

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Biscanton said:
only surgestion i could give is to get a prong collar to replace the choke collar
All right! I'll try to hunt a prong collar down tonight after work. The other option I'd looked at was another style of correction collar with a differential. Looked like a nylon choker to me but with another loop - I forget what they're called.

Does anyone have an oppinion on these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts