Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I especailly appreciate members having a spirited exchange without things getting nasty. I grew up around treeing hounds and absolutely nobody cared if they were purebred or were registered. If they hunted hard and produced game(raccoons) then they were kept around and eventually bred to other good hounds. I am out of that hobby now, but I know that it is still being done today. I have had the pleasure of hunting behind a couple dozen good bird dogs. The abslutely best one that I was ever around was an ESP/Brittany Spaniel cross. Back then they were still called "spaneils' before the AKC and others changed their name. This dog flushed running pheasants and pointed tight holding birds. My long anticipated point is that these dogs worked for their owner. I have owned Boykin Spaniels for years. This breed continues to evolve even as of today. The introduction of new blood hs been necessary throughout the years to improve the health of the breed. If you ever get a chance to see a Boykin, take a look at thier eyes. i will give you one hint, think Chessy!

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
LOL @ big money in dogs!

From what I have seen, the only way to make big money in dogs is to become a private contracting business that imports and breeds dogs for government consumption and provides training for those dogs' handlers. Breeding and competing will never line your wallet unless you breed way to freaking much and don't care what you are putting into the market and in who's hands you are putting it.

Our adopted AB had a minimum of two litters before she was 3 . The two litters that I am aware of each had 11 surviiving pups. They all sold for $1000 bucks a pup. No health clearances were done to the best of my knowldedge. We dearly love our dog but she is showing some health related issues at the age of five. She has been spayed now ,but the damage has been done. Really irriitates me that she had to go through back to back litters and that all of those pups are now out there in the gene pool. Somebody made a ton of money but for all of the wrong reasons.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
Our AB walks among our small cow herd and has been known to take a nap with the chickens. She has also dispatched a raccoon, two possums and several squirrels this summer. I should also mention that she aggresively goes after coyotes but does not challenge the field fence . I.am also convinced that she would try to take down a deer if she could catch one. Good fences increase canine survival rates. We are lucky to have several acres fenced. The dog has a great deal of freedom but seldom leaves the house/barns unless an animal shows up.uninvited.Our barn cats and other very small dog are never harassed by her. Seldom a dull moment around here .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts