Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's fascinating reading this thread. I live in a serious pig hunting area and American Bulldogs seem to be getting quite popular here as pig dogs or to breed with other Australian Pig Dog types. I thought I would add this link so you can see how they are viewed over here. The majority are used as working dogs although I did meet a big Johnston type at the vet the other day. His owner was a wild life carer and said he loved all animals and had no problems with the orphan joeys she looks after. Our little AB APBT cross is strictly a pet (although she was bred as a pig dog that didn't make the cut) so I found that very comforting.
I'm just happy for my dogs to make noise and chase pigs away but from what I know of pig hunting dogs work in a group and need to be able to get along even when excitement is high.
Hunting Pigdogs of Australia - American Bulldogs
Cheers, Ann

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Gazar, My experience is that if a working dog is raised around other animals and scolded when it chases it they will learn it's unacceptable. Lucy our Cattle Dog x Tablelands Pig Dog killed a duck when she got her (we adopted her at 9 months) She got in big trouble and never has done it again, she actually tends to avoid poultry.
AB were originally bred to be farm dogs and catch cattle as well as hunt, not an easy job without being stomped or hurting the cow. They would've come in direct contact with farm animals on a daily basis.
This is sort of why I find this thread so interesting. I think here ABs are being bred for their original traits of hunting and farming.

Cheers, Ann

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know what you mean. We've always had Red Heelers which are Australian Cattle Dogs who love to look longingly at our neighbors cows but wouldn't have a clue what to do with one if it got up close and personal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts