Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby hasn't been feeling well, today or yesteryday. While we were gone, she ate 5 biscuits and some wraps that I accidentaly left on the table. So we didn't feed her dinner or breakfest to clean her system out. Well yesterday it was really hot and we only went on a short walk, but her poop was bright yellow and i'm guessing that was from the biscuits and stuff. But lately, all she's been doing is lying around and she's not drinking the spring water I left her in her bowls. Is it the heat? Or could this be something else?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I has been soooooo hot all over the country this past week and into this coming week. I want to say the weather.

Does she like water? If so try playing outside with a sprinkler to cool her off and see if that helps. If that doesn't brighten her up then maybe I'd take her to the vet. I'm not one to jump on the gun and go to the vet for every little thing unless I know 100% that something is wrong

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, she's terrified of the sprinkler. But i'll take her outside and see if she drinks some water from the sprinkler (she will if it's low enough). I think she thinks I put medicine in the bowls or something cause when I bring the bowl up to her face she curls her lip back and makes a disgusted face much like when I try to give her her Benadryl. I really don't want to take a trip to the vet, but her gums are getting pale, so if she doesn't drink water soon, I might not have a choice.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What sort of wraps are you talking about? I'd take her to the vet to be on the safe side, especially if she isn't eating or drinking. Have you tried offering her any other liquid, or something she normally wouldn't say no to?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Poor Abs give her a hug for us :cry:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
That sucks.If her gums are pale and sticky to the touch I would get her in to the vet if she doesn't start drinking soon.
Keep us updated.This heat will surely upset there bellies

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Poor Abs! Keep us updated if you can. :(

·
Super Moderator
16,018 Posts
Sorry Abby is sick. You could try boiling some chicken in water and then giving
her that water to drink. It could be she just is tired from the heat but if it goes on and she is not drinking she could dehydrate so to the vet you should go.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Sounds like she's dehydrated...pale gums are NEVER a good sign. Could mean dehydration or i know
it also is sign of heat stroke. Take to vet for sure, better to be safe than sorry!!!
At any rate, i sure hope the little bugger is gonna be ok! :cry:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Poor Abby! I hope she is feeling better soon!!! And Pat can you always give them water off of boiled chicken? Just curious. That is one way we fix chicken alot is by boiling it and I am sure Tanner and Molly would love it.

·
Super Moderator
16,018 Posts
Faith Marie said:
Poor Abby! I hope she is feeling better soon!!! And Pat can you always give them water off of boiled chicken? Just curious. That is one way we fix chicken alot is by boiling it and I am sure Tanner and Molly would love it.

I would not replace their water with the chicken stock, but there are a lot of chicken nutrients in the stock plus some salt that helps dogs to rehydrate and want to drink more water. It is good when they are sick or need hydrating. If you gave it to them regularly it might lead to them drinking to much flluid and that would not be good for their kidneys.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've got good news! Abby is feeling all better today, back to her old hyper self!! I think she just likes scaring me every now and then. She did drink some water and I was so happy, especially because i'm in the middle of switching vets because I don't like the one I go to now.

But just a warning, if you think it's too hot then don't take them out. I'd rather have a hyper dog that needs some exercise than a dehydrated tired dog coming back from a walk.

·
Super Moderator
16,018 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
gazar said:
Kasco said:
How's Abs feeling??
Ditto me too on that question. Is she doing any better or drinking any water?
We posted at the same time. :lol:

:D Well, I am glad to hear that she is doing better and I do agree with you
about not taking them out in this heat. Just not good for them.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I'm glad to hear that Abby is feeling better. She sounds kinda like Shadow, he can't stand extreme temps and with this NC weather it really messes with him. He can't even be outside for more than 20mins and he'll start to get dizzy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts