Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have sally who is an OEB, a year and a half and we just adopted Otto and EB who is almost 4 months. so far so good but it has only been since yesterday. Does anyone have any advice at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
limit play time until the dog you adopted has settled in. Keep bones and toys up and bring them down individually when it is play time with one dog. and feed them seperatly until you can know how they react to their food and the others food

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Kate said:
limit play time until the dog you adopted has settled in. Keep bones and toys up and bring them down individually when it is play time with one dog. and feed them seperatly until you can know how they react to their food and the others food
I agree...I have 2 bullies my self (APBT and AB). When we first brought the puppy home it was hell. The older dog was sooo excited about the pup. We had to watch them 24/7 cause Scarlet (older dog) would just run and plow Clutch over wanting to play play play. It was instense excitement for about 2 weeks. After that they got more comfortable. We still dont have bones in our home...thats something that is just asking for trouble. It may cause a fight one day. We do allow toys but we supervise...and we give them the toys, they arent just lying around. There is a set toy time. We feed them in seperate rooms but its just kitchen and dinning. They can see each other but there is that space between them. Feeding them together is the same as bones...its asking for trouble. But other the that its not real hard. The first few months are the golden months...allows you to watch and learn and be able to predict whats next. Once you know your new pup and you know the older dog you can tell when somethign no good is about to happen. The main thing about having more than one is supervision...you always..ALWAYS...have to watch the dogs. Dont leave them alone together with out you there. Dont let them out back with out you there. We have been like this with my 2 and have never had a fight or scirmish between them. Now there have been times we noticed aggrivation but thats the key...we were able to predict their behavior and stop it before anything started!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
From everything I have heard about the English Bulldog they do get along well with other dogs, but they can be aggressive when food is present.

But the best thing you can do is to keep them supervised during play time and when things start getting alittle to rough, seperate them and let them calm down.

Also never leave them unsupervised if you are going somewhere, even just outside for a minute.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I've noticed that spending some alone time every day with my two dogs has really helped. I walk them each seperatly and practice some basic obedience with each and this seems to reinforce that I'm the boss. It also gives us the chance to bond without the other dog fighting for attention.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your advice. We have not left them alone at all without myself or my husband there. The only problem is feeding. the new pup will gobble up quickly but Sally, the older, eats when she wants. The pup tries to eat her food so we have to put it on the counter while he's running around. This is something we are gonna have to figure out. Sally doesnt eat the same time of day everyday either. It could sit there for a couple days, then she eats. Weird dog i know! Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts