Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(This is cut and pasted from an email i sent to the breeder, no reply yet)

Background: I feed Loki 3 times a day, first thing in the morning, then around 5pm, and last thing at night. His food is about ¾ a cup of Supercoat Puppy, and 1 fork full of raw chicken carcass mince (which he loves), I mix it all together to give him something nice, as he is not always too keen on just dry kibble.

Now, over the last week, I have noticed he is sleeping upwards of 18-20 hours a day and mopes a lot (looks sad, doesn’t do much), he just sleeps! He doesn’t seem interested in playing that much, but I take him for walks down to the beach, and around the block, and try and get him active, so far I have put it down to him being a growing pup, and needing sleep, he also has had his 12 week C5 shots (I got them done 3 days early). I have been socializing him, and when he sees other dogs, he really pick’s up, its like a new dog. I have friends with dogs and pups, and he loves seeing them. Its like he gets really depressed when he isn’t around other dogs.

Now, yesterday, I got up in the morning and fed him, and put him in the back garden (where he stays when I’m at work) with all his toys, and kennel etc. I got home yesterday after work to find a nice big puddle of diarrhea near the back door on the grass, now he has had the run’s a little before when I change his diet, but nothing close to this, it was like water. He ate that night and I took him down to the beach for a quick walk, when we got home, he slept, he pretty much didn’t move all night, and didn’t want his evening dinner, so I let him sleep. Now, we are getting the toilet training thing down, and he sits at the back door when he needs to go, so I put him out for a pee, and then let him back in, about 5 seconds later, he had this diarrhea all over the laundry floor, it was just like water. I was a bit concerned at this stage, as he has never had this before, and I haven’t changed his diet.

I got him cleaned up and then put him in his crate for bed (he stays in my room), about 4am, he woke me whimpering etc, and I took him out for the toilet, same deal, nothing even close to solid poops.

Back to bed, again I got up this morning and took him out for the toilet, same thing again. Now he was very lethargic this morning, didn’t come when I called him, just walked slowly etc, and didn’t even want to know about his food, which he normally goes crazy for in the morning… He wouldn’t even eat his liver treats that I put in his kennel when I go to work, and he just whimpered at the back door which he never normally does….

When I came to work this morning, I didn’t leave his food down, as the vet said I should pick it up after 10minutes, so he realizes he eats when I put his food down etc etc.

Should I take him to the vet? If he doesn’t start eating by tomorrow, ill start to be worried… He loves his food!

Any ideas? Have you seen this before?

PS. Are raw eggs bad for dogs? Do you give your dogs anything apart from kibble to give them a change in diet and make them more keen to eat it? The vet told me eggs are bad for them for some reason.

PSS. He always has plenty of fresh water, but it has been quite warm here in South Australia lately, so that may be why he is sleeping?

Thanks, any advice would rock! The poor guy is being very un puppy like, he doesnt even want to play, he plays for about 30 seconds, gets un-interested and then goes and sleeps...

Steve

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Aww...I hope he's okay! I'm not really sure what could be wrong with him, but I have heard that it's bad to mix raw food with kibble because of the different rates of digestion. Maybe that has something to do with it...

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i would take him to the vet . there are a couple of different thing that come to my mind and the sooner you get it diagnosed the better for loki.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might, but he was at the vet a few days ago for his shots and a checkup and the vet said he was fine.

To be honest, i dont have the cash to take him to the vet until next week, and my girlfriend is interstate seeing family with our cerdit card...

Can you guys give me some other ideas? Should i fast him for a few days, then start him just on dry kibble with no chicken? Im stressing for the poor guy....

Steve

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
I don't mean to be rude, but if your dog is sick and you can't afford to take him to the vet, maybe you should reconsider having a pet. My dog recently had bowel obstruction surgery and he had the same symptoms. If I would've waited two more days to take him in, he would've been dead. Just something to think about. Maybe Loki just has a bug, but he really needs to see a vet now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When he had that bowel blockage, was he still able to do diarrhea? He ate yesterday afternoon, and he isnt vomiting or anything. Would it have anything to do with my girlfriend being interestate? Is he missing her?

Steve

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Kasco said:
I don't mean to be rude, but if your dog is sick and you can't afford to take him to the vet, maybe you should reconsider having a pet.
It may sound harsh, but it's the truth. Many vets offer payment plans or credit. Those can be lifesavers and are definitely worth checking into! Bella's $500 surgery from this fall is being made in 12 monthly installments of $40, which is much more manageable!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If he doesnt pick up by tomorrow, i will take him to the vet and work something out. The vets in australia are pretty $$$, its a money making business. The ones i have spoken to all want payment up front.

I emailed the breeder, she is going to contact her vet and see what they say.

Steve

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Aussie Wolf said:
When he had that bowel blockage, was he still able to do diarrhea? He ate yesterday afternoon, and he isnt vomiting or anything. Would it have anything to do with my girlfriend being interestate? Is he missing her?

Steve
When Chopper had the blockage it started out with diarrhea. He had "accidents" in his kennel, which he outgrew 8 mos ago! It was a mess. Then he got real lethargic. He vomited yellow foam (bile) He wouldn't eat or drink and when I took him in he was dehydrated. I doubt your pup could miss your GF that much. It could be any number of things, but a puppy can become dehydrated very easily, especially if it's a warm climate and he's got the runs. Please don't wait. If he's not better tomarrow, call the vet. Even if it's something simple, you'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If his poop becomes solid again, is that a good sign that its not a blockage? Is it possible to have solid poop and have something stuck in there?

Im going home today at lunch to try and get him to eat and check him. If he isnt good by tomorrow morning, we are going to the vet.

Steve

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
when you say that you leave him in the garden while you are at work, is it possible for him to eat any plants? I would be very careful about that because my dogs used to try and eat anything and everything at that age (actually they still do).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The garden doesnt have that much bad stuff in it.. Lets see.

Peach tree, but i have never seen him even try and eat one. We have grapes, but they dont drop. He trys to eat the odd weeds, and i have seen him trying to eat grass seeds etc. There isnt any other plants, i lifted up all the potted ones.

Hopefully the vet can give me some sort of insight tomorrow.

Steve

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Wondering if you had the appointment yet and how it went? :-k

·
Registered
380 Posts
Aussie Wolf said:
I might, but he was at the vet a few days ago for his shots and a checkup and the vet said he was fine.

To be honest, i dont have the cash to take him to the vet until next week, and my girlfriend is interstate seeing family with our cerdit card...

Can you guys give me some other ideas? Should i fast him for a few days, then start him just on dry kibble with no chicken? Im stressing for the poor guy....

Steve
Was he wormed, I know I talk about worms alot but they cause so many problems in dogs and people. They (the worms) are smart enough to live on the host suck all the nutrients and still keep the host alive. They dont want to loose the host. I also feed my dogs raw eggs and cooked chicken. But you know you could probably cook the eggs (not in the microwave). Worm your baby for hook and round worm starting every two weeks, then once a month for preventive. The chicken should help with the coat, so you could cut out the stuff for shiney coat.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
What Happened??????????

What happened with you dog??? I hope you took hime to the vet.They do have something that is called CARE CREDIT,sort of like a credit card but you use it at the vet and you can apply and be approved while waiting there,its really easy and fast and free to apply.
I hope eveything works out.Doesnt sound good from what you are saying.Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Doesn't saound good. Pinch his skin and if it stays lifted he is dehydrated. Try to give him ice or water to hydrate him. It sounds like he is in rough shape and I would take him into the vet and figure something out before it is to late. Good luck and I hope he will be ok.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts