Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me say I have never had this issue with any dog I have owned.

I am at a wits end with Dozer. We got him last Saturday. He is now 9 weeks old. He seriously does not care if he pees or poops in his crate. He will sleep in it, roll in it, whatever. He just doesn't care. At first I thought he was having trouble adjusting and we were expecting too much out of him.

His crate is sectioned off so small that he has just enough room to turn around and lay down. No extra room at all.

Out of this past week he hasn't pooped in his crate at night twice. Tuesday and Wednesday night. Every night he pees in his crate. Time since his last poop or pee seems to be irrelevant. Like tonight, we took him out at 4:30 and he pee'd and pooped. We put him up while we went to dinner. Get back at 6:30 and pooped everywhere and he pee'd. I am about to lose my mind from taking his entire crate outside and hosing it off. Then using spray on pet order killer all over it and rubbing it down.

Here is our schedule during the week.

We wake up at 5:30am and she goes to work around 7am. I stay at home until about 8:45 then I go to work.
She comes home around 3:00 to 3:30.
So he has to hold it during the day about 6-7 hours which I understand is asking too much.

I honestly thought that might be the problem. On Wednesday I stayed at home because I was sick. Since I wanted him to adjust to being in the crate regardless if we are here or not. I would crate him every so often for 30 minutes to an hour. Almost everytime he would pee in the crate. If we are just hanging out playing in the house, then we can catch him before he pees or poops.

Today, we kept him out most of today except tonight when we went to eat. Sure enough we come home to a crate with tons of poop.

We are going through 5-6 towels a day from his bowel movements.

I would understand this behavior if he had been raised in a cage like at a pet store but that isn't the case.

I just don't know what to do with him. He just doesn't care about laying in filth. I feel sorry for Lucy since she has to smell it when he does it.

Also we are feeding him 2 cups a day of Dick Van Patten Natural Balance food.

·
Registered
886 Posts
that is just to much time to spend in the crate. When my pup was that young i put paper in the crate and didnt section the crate off. I know thats what everyone says to do put my dog is the same, he would just poop and lay in it, i tried not leaving anythign the first day and lets just say he need a bath.

So anyway leave paper in one part of his cage and towels in the other. He will just peeing and pooping in the paper and sleeping on the towel. Tthen when he is old enough to hold it for that long then you start not leaving the paper in. He will start not wanting to pee on anything soft and only paper and when its gone he will not wanting to go in the cage.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
9 weeks old being in a crate for 6 - 7 hours straight you are going to find accidents.
I wouldnt put the paper down though cause he is only going to chew,shred or eat it.
I really cant help you much more on this but I feel ya.I hope you get this solved.

·
Registered
704 Posts
He is only 9 weeks old..5+ hours is way too much time in a crate to expect no accidents. When I am crate training a young one, they go with me almost everywhere and are in thier crates a maximum of 2 hours. They go outside to potty after eating, after napping and after playing, and especially right before they go back into thier crate. I do everything I can to keep them from having to potty in thier crate. Once they start going in thier crate, it can be really tough to break them of the habit.

I also try to keep the experience as stress free as possible..I leave a TV or radio on for comfort sounds, some good toys (that they only get in thier crate) and I never make a big deal of leaving or coming. (that can lead to separation anxiety)

I would say maybe see if someone in your neighborhood can come and care for the pup while you are away. Or, if that's not an option, set up a kennel in the yard or a puppy pen in the kitchen/bathroom so the pup will no longer have the option to potty in the crate. Crate training requires consistency and if there are times of the day that you cannot be around, it will only confuse the pup.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Carrie said:
He is only 9 weeks old..5+ hours is way too much time in a crate to expect no accidents. When I am crate training a young one, they go with me almost everywhere and are in thier crates a maximum of 2 hours. They go outside to potty after eating, after napping and after playing, and especially right before they go back into thier crate. I do everything I can to keep them from having to potty in thier crate. Once they start going in thier crate, it can be really tough to break them of the habit.

I also try to keep the experience as stress free as possible..I leave a TV or radio on for comfort sounds, some good toys (that they only get in thier crate) and I never make a big deal of leaving or coming. (that can lead to separation anxiety)

I would say maybe see if someone in your neighborhood can come and care for the pup while you are away. Or, if that's not an option, set up a kennel in the yard or a puppy pen in the kitchen/bathroom so the pup will no longer have the option to potty in the crate. Crate training requires consistency and if there are times of the day that you cannot be around, it will only confuse the pup.
Excellent advice!!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree with Carrie - if you can't get someone in to give him a break, is there somewhere he could be x-penned so he'd have enough room for a SEPARATE bed and "potty"?

And also - that seems like a lot of poop for your puppy - have you had him checked for worms? Ozy came down with a case of whipworms when he was a few months old - and just about DOUBLED his "poop production" (it also got much softer and more sudden - the poor guy never had a chance to tell us he had to go out)!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
deuce's mommy said:
My little boy is 5 months. How long should he be able to hold it?
General rule is 1 hour for every month.

But that varies with each dog. Lucy was able to hold it 8 hours at 12 weeks. That didn't happen on purpose but one time my wife and I both got held up at work late one day. Lucy held it no issues.

Just an update. I am still having issues wth Dozer. His stools have sofened up since the complete switch over to Dick Van Patten's Natural Performance. He was on Nutro.

He can't hold it more than 30 minutes sometimes. Basically if he gets the urge then he goes. I have just realized that every morning I have to wake up to nastiness until his stool gets more solid.

Took him to the vet early last week and he had no parasites or worms so I believe it is stress and food related.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
My pup is a little over 8 weeks, and I Crate him at night in the guest bathroom..first couple nights he went both and dragged the puppy pad into his crate.. but then I figured I need to section off his crate....Although the other night he did really well he just went pee on the puppy pad and im sure it was accidental that it was perfectly on puppy pad..

I take him out every 15 minutes and wait until he goes some.. I too have no other means then crating him for 8+ hours during the day but I dont lock him up I leave his crate open and put his food and water in the guest bathroom with him and some puppy pads to go on and just close the door...

Im hoping as he gets older and can develop bladder control that he can eventually hold it long enough for us to get home and sleep in our room at night..

Anyone know of a sure fire way to puppy pad trian cause as of right now he wont go on them he just goes if we dont catch him..?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He is doing much better now with the pooping side of things.

He is on a rock solid schedule for pooping outside. He does it three times a day. No poop accidents in his crate for a while. We figured out that some of the natural good quality treats we feed lucy didn't sit well with his stomach. We had also been overfeeding him.

As for peeing, he still does it. Not as much and he isn't consistent. He may hold it for 4 hours one day and not be able to hold it for 1 hour the next. Hopefully he will start growing out of it.

Two nights ago my wife had a breakthrough with him in regards to obediance. This dog is about as stubborn and thickheaded as they come. We couldn't hardly get him to sit with treats and positive reinforcedment the past two week. My wife, bless her heart, has been working her butt off with him. Then on Tuesday night, Holly told me that it finally clicked with him. 2 weeks of solid training everyday and it finally clicked. He can now do sit, stay, down, shake, all with Lucy in the room too. I questioned his intelligence at times but I just think he is so obsessed with eating, that treats make him go crack crazy. I think it probably also helped making him get into a sit and down position prior to allowing him to eat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts