Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Boss was 6 months old we were walking him around a near by lake and a collie dog came out of nowhere and attacked him, it didnt hurt him but really shook him up, since this incident he hates other dogs and when he sees one he growls constantly and his heckles go up.

Is there anything i can do to try and reassure him and get him out of this, as i fear that one day he might actually bite another dog, which is what i dont want to happen.

any suggestions would be a great help

·
Registered
136 Posts
We've just been through a council case where an offlead dog came and started a fight with Storm. The offlead dog copping a few injuries. :(

One thing is if you know your dog doesn't like other dogs always have your dog onlead when out. Because Storm was onlead the case was dropped and the other owner was told by council if he wants it to continue (as he wanted Storm caged and muzzled) he'd be the one copping all the fines.

The thing my trainer started me on was finding a really placid quiet dog and get the owner just to place it in a down position at a park or somewhere without distractions. You then walk your dog past the other dog. You may have to start out 30metres or something and then move in closer till you find your dogs comfort zone. We got Storm within metres of his attack dog before she tried going for it and then he used her prong popping it a few times.

She soon learnt if I want to go after this dog I'm going to get annoying things happen to me and still not get the dog, whereas if I ignore the dog I get praise from my master once I'm past the dog and nothing bad happened to me by the other dog either.

You vary the dogs position in the centre too, once your dog gets comfortable with passing a dog laying down (I should say walk your dog past it's back so theres no eye contact) you can then get the dog in the centre to a sitting position and later to a moving position.

Seeing a good trainer would probably be best, but they're things you can do to try to teach your dog that not all dogs want to fight.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Stormy said:
We've just been through a council case where an offlead dog came and started a fight with Storm. The offlead dog copping a few injuries. :(

One thing is if you know your dog doesn't like other dogs always have your dog onlead when out. Because Storm was onlead the case was dropped and the other owner was told by council if he wants it to continue (as he wanted Storm caged and muzzled) he'd be the one copping all the fines.

The thing my trainer started me on was finding a really placid quiet dog and get the owner just to place it in a down position at a park or somewhere without distractions. You then walk your dog past the other dog. You may have to start out 30metres or something and then move in closer till you find your dogs comfort zone. We got Storm within metres of his attack dog before she tried going for it and then he used her prong popping it a few times.

She soon learnt if I want to go after this dog I'm going to get annoying things happen to me and still not get the dog, whereas if I ignore the dog I get praise from my master once I'm past the dog and nothing bad happened to me by the other dog either.

You vary the dogs position in the centre too, once your dog gets comfortable with passing a dog laying down (I should say walk your dog past it's back so theres no eye contact) you can then get the dog in the centre to a sitting position and later to a moving position.

Seeing a good trainer would probably be best, but they're things you can do to try to teach your dog that not all dogs want to fight.
That seems like a really sensible and logical way to deal with it!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always keep him on the lead unless im in my horses field which is private property and there he can run around 7 acres of land without the worry of any other dogs being around, i will try getting a freinds dog and do what you sais its worth a try, i dont think he is being nasty i think he is just scared because of his experience.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
He probably is just scared, I would definately try working with him as much as possible so he see's the praise he gets when he ignores the other dogs. It'll be well worth it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would take a chair and plant my butt outside Petsmart and let people and dogs go by all day long (at least a few hours). I've done this with Maxi a few times and now she could care less about other dogs unless they show aggression towards her. It's like going to a nude beach for the first time. At first you're shocked and then after an hour you're like "ahhhhh, just another naked person" LOL!!! :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
^^^^ I like this aproach. but then the people going in and out of petsmart with a 75+ pound bulldog sitting there growling and showing its teeth might not like it so much lol and here you are the owner sitting there with a cold drink like nothing is happening.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well, I'd like to think a li'l bit of control by the handler would play a part. This is from experience. Socializing stopped many behavioral issues with my rescue apbt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts