Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned Angel (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) for 9 weeks now. She's a great dog loving , faithful etc. The problem is she doesn't listen to me when I want her to do something. For example when weve been in the garden playing and I try to get her back in the house she won't do it. Also she try's to pull my slippers of my feet as im walking and wont stop, which is dangerous because she keep's tripping me up.Iv'e tried shouting at her and it doesn't work. She will listen to Lee and if he raises his voice she does what she is told when he tell's her to do something.Im on my own with her all day Monday to Friday, I feed her and walk her. It seem's to be worse when she is in a playful mood. She know's the commands sit, down, come and if a treat is involved she will do it. It just seem's like she doesn't hear me when she's in play mode.
Any advice anyone could give me I would be very grateful.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think you are expecting a little much from a 9 week old puppy. Puppies are supposed to be mischvious and annoying. If they were'nt I would think something was wrong with them.

I also don't know too many 9 week old pups who will sit, down, and come realibialby. Heck, I know alot of 2 yr old dogs who wont do that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Is the dog 9 weeks old or an older dog you have had for 9 weeks?

The best thing I can suggest is walking the dog and making her walk behind you at all times. Sounds like the dog has little to no respect for you.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
jleonar said:

The best thing I can suggest is walking the dog and making her walk behind you at all times. Sounds like the dog has little to no respect for you.
souds like a normal puppy to me

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out to me. I guess my eyes aren't fully open yet...lol.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
jleonar said:

souds like a normal puppy to me
How do you know the dog is a puppy? :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I really didnt explain that Angel is 11 months old. I have owned her for 9 weeks. Sorry to have confused you all :oops:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Has the dog ever recieved any actual training? Does she understand the commands you are giving her? If she does understand fully, are you putting yourself in the positiion to correct her when she doesn't comply?

·
Registered
92 Posts
donnar said:
She know's the commands sit, down, come and if a treat is involved she will do it.
I'd keep using the treats until the association becomes a little more firm. It wouldn't help to add "NO" to her reputore. :) Sadie is getting used to the words of "outside" to come outside the house, and "In" when it's time to come inside. Outside is her favorite word, I think... it gets her more excited than anything. We are working on "In" daily, but she's actually pretty good about coming inside 98% of the time- rarely it takes a trip around the entire house at full speed but she comes in.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Gender issue...

I am thinking this is possibly a gender issue.
My pup is only 11 weeks old and he is pretty obedient for such a young pup.
The thing is... he doesn't really listen to me.. but he listens to everything my husband says!
He sits when told... goes out for a pee when told... stops jumping up onto the lounge, etc.
but with me... all he does is bite my slippers when i'm trying to walk, jumps up wanting to play, tugs at my pants, bites me... etc
the thing is... im the 'loving' parent who spoils him and my husband is the one always instilling discipline!

so i think the key is to be tougher on him, and he'll respect you and obey you more!

it's so hard though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's really no different from animals in the wild. Family groups, etc... Watch documentaries on lions and such and you'll see similar relationships in the pride. The lion instills discipline and is followed to the tea (teeth). ;)

Other cubs are playful with each other and frolic... the matriarch of the pride has a relationship spanning both groups. Cubs are playful and, often, annoying but the mother tolerates it with loving passion. However, when pushed to her limit she can get the cubs to listen by raising her voice or with a firm swipe of the paw. I bet you'll find your relationship to be very similar to any matriarch in a family group. Stay firm on the big issues and let your pup know you mean business and you'll see... you'll still have a time with the biting of the slippers. I mean, what's a cub to do? ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your advice. I am trying to be firmer with her and raising my voice to her more often especially when she's biting my slippers it works to a point she leaps away but then comes bounding straight back. I'll get there eventually with her after all she is still only 11 months old :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts