Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a little hand held vaccuum (two c's or one?) and Boss is afraid of it. I haven't had a vacuum before because my apartment is all hardwood, so i never really needed one.

Anyway, I was vacuuming the chair and couch cause there's friggin fur all over it, and Boss ran away lol. I swear, he's like 10x more afraid of it than the cat! The cat will just hang around, unless I start vacuuming right where he's lazing around. Any idea how I can help Boss to stop being afraid of it?? He won't even go near it when it's off for God's sake. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate would always bark and try to eat the vaccumn. So I always crated her while I did it. but then slowly I would do other rooms while I kept her out. and if she would come running in the room I was doing, I would stop moving the vaccumn and let her smell it and if she tried biting it I would continuely tell her no and eventually she stopped. Now she just sleeps on the couch while I do it

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
LOL, I had to laugh when I read this.I wish I could help but Buster goes insane when the vacuum is out.I have to crate him or else there is a fight with the vacuum.He barks,snarls and just goes mad.Do you think they know they suck up food........LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol he won't go near it! He doesn't bark at it or try to bite it...he just tries to avoid it at all costs! If it's off, he'll kinda go near it, but he's VERY nervous. What the hell?! None of the other dogs I've had were afraid of the vacuum. Our family dog used to chase the lawn mower and try to bite the grass that was spitting out into his face...but yeah.

Anyone know how I can get him to realize it's not going to hurt him?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Maybe since you just got it and havent had one around him it will just take some time for him to get used to it.......hopefully..........lol

BTW, The lawn mower story had me rolling :lol:

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
a pit bull scared of the vaccum. :lol:

Even my yorkie goes insane when the vaccuming madness begins.

Well, ignore your dog. It will get used to it.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Both of mine are not very friendly with the vacuum either! My mom's pug has literally destroyed 3 of their vacuums because she attacks it. My daughter's first word was "Bella", because I was vacuuming the den one day and she was in her playpen, and I kept yelling at Bella to stop, and she just stood up and yelled "Bella!". :lol:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
apbtgurl26 said:
Both of mine are not very friendly with the vacuum either! My mom's pug has literally destroyed 3 of their vacuums because she attacks it. My daughter's first word was "Bella", because I was vacuuming the den one day and she was in her playpen, and I kept yelling at Bella to stop, and she just stood up and yelled "Bella!". :lol:
LOL That's cute. :lol:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Kelly said:
Do you think they know they suck up food........LOL
:lol:

Bogart hates the big, bad vacuum as well. The on button is at the bottom and he's figured out to bite it there to turn it off. So now I have to put him in another room when I vacuum.

·
Registered
932 Posts
This is too funny!

Patch is PETRIFIED of the lawn mower and runs inside every time we mow the lawns. he HATES it.
We tried the hair dryer on him after his first bath with us.... that last 5 seconds... he was PETRIFIED!'
and the vacuum.... well,.... he's gotten to know the vacuum quite well, especially since i use it so freakin much to clean up his HAIR - he is so scared of it... he stands back in "attack mode" and runs aroung the house like a crazy maniac.
Occasionally he will approach it and then once he comes close he runs away in panic mode

it's very funny.

Tara<3boss - i think we just all have to face the fact that dogs and vacuums, or anything that make loud noises don't mix!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have one of each here... Zeke wanders off to another room til I am done but Titus on the other hand will keep running circles around me and god forbid if I pull out the pole and hose then he starts to try and run off with it and play with it.... the other day I kept telling him no and to leave it and needless to say he got a little too close and next thing I know it is sucking on his floppy lip :shock: as he was still trying to take it away from me, it was all I could do to hit the power button cause I was laughing so darn hard!!! :D

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
My dogs want to KILL the vacuum!! LOL!

I wouldn't baby the dog and agree with Peter. Just ignore him and make him deal with it. If you really want to do something you could try having someone else run the vacuum while you do some obedience with him. Make sure he is hungry and reward with food reward when he ignores the vacuum and focusses on you. If he gives you the finger because he is stressed about the vacuum, correct him for that. Just be sure he is solid with the commands you give him before you try this exercies or he will just get confused and stress out even more.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Lisa said:
My dogs want to KILL the vacuum!! LOL!
So does Chassis. Even if we put her outside, she'll bark at it through the door when she hears it. LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think Dion hates it, but she seems to play a game with it. Right when you bring it out she runs to the other room. But once you get started, she will come running into the room I am vacuuming and run past it really fast. Then she runs past it again. She does this constantly while I am vacuuming. It's funny!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts