Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 4yr old pitbull attacked my 3yr old american bulldog tonight,they have been raised together since we got the am bulldog,they alway play with one another but never fight,tonight it took all i had to pull the pitbull off the bulldog,i hate to put the pitbull down :( .will this aggression be an ongoing problem now??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Read other posts about similar problems , but from what I have read it will be a continual problem or have the possibility to always erupt . I wouldn't put the dog down , but you will probably have to supervise their interactions closer and think about rotating crating them and not let them play together anymore.

Both breeds have a tendency to be dog aggressive so they will probably always feud . Are both the same sex ? I have heard that is a big no no . I am sure later some more experienced posters will have more info for you .

mike

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
that is a big problem right there having the same sex in the house. They feel the need to compete more then different sex dogs do.

There is a very good chance these dogs will not be able to be around each other any more. If they can be, they need to be supervised 100% of the time with no toys or bones lying around and you need to feed them seperate.

But you need to be prepared to crate and rotate these 2 dogs. Dog aggression is very very normal with the bully breed so there is NO NEED to put either dog down. If you are not able to crate and rotate, the best bet would be to find a new home for one of the dogs by taking them to a rescue. The rescue will work with the dog and keep the dog alive until they can find a great home for her.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why would this happen just now?like i said before they have lived together for years and never had a problem. we took both dogs to the vet late last night and the wounds on the am bulldog were all superficial,we decided to leave the pitbull there overnight to calm down all morning the am bulldog just laid around the house,as soon as the pitbull came in the door the bulldogs tail started wagging,they sniffed each other both dogs started wagging their tails,licked each other on the face a few times and now its like nothing happened.was the fight last night a one time thing? i'm confused on this one like i said before these 2 dogs are always glued together and never even growled at one another before.any help or idesa will be helpful.thanks

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
was there something that caused it.... were they rough playing? were they playing with a toy? eating? something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kate,not that i can recall,i know the bulldog wasn't felling well late afternoon,she had 2 episodes of vomiting,today i've been keeping a close eye on them and they are following one another around if one lays down the other lays down right beside her,they are constnaly licking one another,its almost like they know they did something wrong and are trying to make up to one another.i don't know what to think

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Well I dunno then.... I'm really curious as to what provoked this. But from their reactions after being together again, it sounds like they might be okay living together.

you must NOT ever leave them alone again though. And watch for little movements, or lack there of I should say. If your pit bull starts getting stiff and looks irritated, stop the behavior that is currently going on immediately.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I know ANY dog who is sick or hurt or all around not feeling well can
snap or bite anything that gets too close. Sounds like what happened to me.

The pit prob. got too close and the bulldog snarled or growled or gave the pit the
wrong look so the pit took it upon herself to attack and say "hey, you can't talk to me like that"

Just keep a close eye on them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree keep a close eye on them and confirm your role as pack leader.

Ive two intact boys(staffies) and although they dont fight they do play hard and if its getting a bit to much I walk at them and shout no they never fail to stop.I also do this from time to time when they are just gentle playing.Then they usually come to me and start creeping around my feet.Vigilance is the only answer in my limited experience of things Pit Bull people seem ready to put them down at the slightest problem when there really isnt a need IMHO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tried cagging them,unfortunatly my wife had the pitbull out of her cage and she was going to pet the am bulldog and the pit got between her and the bulldog,out of control fight neither dog culd be pulled away local police dept had to euthanize in the midde of living room,pit bull almost killed bulldog before pd got there :cry: i can't believe this happened to my babies,this is like a bad dream to me but thank you to everyone who posted an idea for me to try :cry: :(

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Sorry to hear about what happened, sadly these are things you have to be aware of when you own bully breeds. It's just in their nature to be aggressive toward other dogs, don't get me wrong SOME can learn to live happily with other animals if properly supervised.

I have 4 dogs of my own and we have 2 females and 2 males, one happens to be a pitbull. All of my dogs get along great and there have been so problems or aggression shown. But I always make sure I keep them supervised at all times when they are playing. When I'm not home I put them in crates.

Not trying to insult you reggie101, but I recommend you do some reading up on American Pit Bull Terriers, and other bully breeds just in the event you would want to own another.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well hopefully it was any isolated incident. But I have always heard that female dogs fight to eliminate the other. So just be careful and never leave them alone together. I know it can be very scary!!!! I had a female boxer who when she was about 3 just started attacking my shiz tu. We had had her from the time she was 7 weeks old. They would sleep together, and one day she just snapped. I had to give her to a friend of mine who had no other animals. She was a great dog just did not having him around. We still see her all the time and she is just a sweet as can be. I hope all works out for the best with your girls!!!!!!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
coco said:
Well hopefully it was any isolated incident. But I have always heard that female dogs fight to eliminate the other. So just be careful and never leave them alone together. I know it can be very scary!!!! I had a female boxer who when she was about 3 just started attacking my shiz tu. We had had her from the time she was 7 weeks old. They would sleep together, and one day she just snapped. I had to give her to a friend of mine who had no other animals. She was a great dog just did not having him around. We still see her all the time and she is just a sweet as can be. I hope all works out for the best with your girls!!!!!!
coco, you missed a post, they both had to be put down in the middle of another fight.

I'm sorry you had to go through such a horrifying experience. I hope neither you or your wife were hurt... very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks,i just can't believe this,my house is destroyed and the dogs are gone,they lived together for 3 years and never a problem,hell they slept with each other,the bulldog usually with her head on the pitbull

·
Registered
979 Posts
reggie101 said:
thanks,i just can't believe this,my house is destroyed and the dogs are gone,they lived together for 3 years and never a problem,hell they slept with each other,the bulldog usually with her head on the pitbull
I'm so sorry this happened to you Reggie. I wish I had the words to comfort you, but of course I do not. You guys are in my thoughts.

Paula

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Wow. That must have been so scary, and sad, to see your two dogs behaving that way. I'm very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
99 Posts
wow that is very sad to hear. Did the bulldog die to? When i was studying up on the bully breeds i read in a magazine how they can just turn aggresive just like that one story was about two bully dogs that had been together from 7 weeks on. Its like Kate said it only takes a bad look, food, toy or anything like this to trigger it. And 9 times out of 10 they will never be able to be around each other after the fight. I am very sorry for your loss. I can not even imagine how u must feel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.