Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AB is just over 7 months now and since we've had him, he does not like children. He will growl at them, try lunging at them, barking, everything and I'm really starting to worry about it. I don't know why he does this. He's excellent with other dogs and adults but it's the small people that he gets freaked out about. He's never been teased by a child or anything and hasn't really had any interaction with them. I am wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I can stop this behaviour before it gets worse. I am getting to the point that I don't want to take him places where there will be kids because I don't know what he might do. Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
spectrum4life said:
My AB is just over 7 months now and since we've had him, he does not like children. He will growl at them, try lunging at them, barking, everything and I'm really starting to worry about it. I don't know why he does this. He's excellent with other dogs and adults but it's the small people that he gets freaked out about. He's never been teased by a child or anything and hasn't really had any interaction with them. I am wondering if there are any suggestions as to how I can stop this behaviour before it gets worse. I am getting to the point that I don't want to take him places where there will be kids because I don't know what he might do. Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated...
Never trust this dog!Never. He is 7 months old, and it is going to be a challenge to change. It most likely will never go away, but can be controlled if you learn how to do it.

I'd definatly get the dog to someone who can try to figure it out, a behaviorist first. You will learn to de sensitize(how to go about) your dog.

Maybe he just wasn't around children that much I dunno. But that is a scarey situation, and one that you need to deal with asap. Before things get worse...and yes, they can get worse!!!Barking or aggression towards a human should never be tolerated. What do you do when he pulls his stuff??

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
SORRY BUT IF IT WAS ME ID HAVE THE DOG PUT DOWN ! if it's as bad as your making it out to be .......... how long have you had this dog ...........did you get him as a pup since 9/10 weeks ? did you get him from a breeder ?...if so with one ?.........has the dog been to obedance classes ?...........have you owned a bully breed before ?...........have a read !

http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=231

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What they said. Your dog is a headline waiting to happen, unfortunately. Either get to a SERIOUS dog trainer (PROFESSIONAL!) or put it to sleep.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I know that this is a tough pill to swallow but child aggression is a sign of serious issues. It is a breed characteristic for Bully breeds to have a natural love for children, and if a dog is expressing the opposite I would have to say there is something fundamentally wrong with the dog. Call a professional in immediatly, personally I would put the dog to sleep :cry: . Honestly, I would not waste any time or chance of a bite and put the dog down bc there is a serious flaw with training. The flaw is that training a dog takes time and this is an accident waiting to happen. You can not control every child runs up to your dog and this dog an accident, it could happen tomorrow. You could muzzle the dog when you walk but as i am sure that you Bully's are extremely strong and if your dog is determained then it could bust out of the muzzle especailly with their snouts muzzles do not really promise anything. I am sorry but I would put the dog down :cry:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Like everyone else said. Talk to a professional trainer and see what they think. But a dog should never show aggression toward a person espcially a small child! Granted some dogs don't care for children, but this behavior your dog is showing is not acceptable!

The best thing for your dog is to probaly be put down. It really does sound like an accident waiting to happen. Because speaking from experience I have owned a dog who had showed aggression toward people (adults and children) and as much as I loved that dog I knew I had to be responsible. I had to do the right thing, and sadly that was putting her down.

Even though it broke my heart to do it, deep down I knew I had done the right thing.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I too have to agree with everyone else.....Agression towards a child or ANY human is just headlines waiting to happen . You need to act now!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree with everyone to a point.

This dog needs to see a professional trainer that will train the dog to ignore children and the things it does not llike.

But I dont agree with having it put down right away until after trying to train it. I don't agree with human aggression or child aggression, but if this dog can be trained to ignore it and will not be around children, then it can still live a happy life.

I know my situtation, I can avoid children. It can be difficult as my aunts have young children but I do not NEED to bring Kate into those envrionments. And I have no children of my own and don't plan on having for a while. So if the situation is similar, it could work without putting the dog down

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Kate said:
I agree with everyone to a point.

This dog needs to see a professional trainer that will train the dog to ignore children and the things it does not llike.

But I dont agree with having it put down right away until after trying to train it. I don't agree with human aggression or child aggression, but if this dog can be trained to ignore it and will not be around children, then it can still live a happy life.

I know my situtation, I can avoid children. It can be difficult as my aunts have young children but I do not NEED to bring Kate into those envrionments. And I have no children of my own and don't plan on having for a while. So if the situation is similar, it could work without putting the dog down
you are right....I do not believe in rushing out to have a dog put to sleep. The OP should get to a trainer(professional!) and behavioralist asap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
More interaction?

I have an AB that is ten months old and he used to growl/bark at kids. I live alone with my fiance and he did not have much experience with little kids. He did not lunge at all, but when I took him on a walk and he saw little kids, he would growl under his breath until the child got close enough for him to see what it was. A lot of times, parents of children (when Im walking him) will ask me if their children can pet him, and now he absolutly loves children and will sit down (without comand) and let them hug or pet him - he also knows that they are too small to jump on, so he doesnt do that either. It may just be that your dog doesnt understand that a child is a person, simply because he is not used to seeing a moving being that is as short as he is. Like i specified in my post "funny habbit", sometimes dogs just dont understand new things and so they get freaked out when they see them. I think that if you allow him to have (extremely supervised) time with a child, where he can have a good experience (ie lots of treats and no rough play from the child) he may be able to develop better habbits towards children.
Its just a suggestion though... to start, maybe you should just have a child feed him treats through a cage and see how he does. Good luck.

·
Registered
979 Posts
"Its just a suggestion though... to start, maybe you should just have a child feed him treats through a cage and see how he does. Good luck."

I am so sorry, but IMO ABSOLUTELY NOT. First off whose kid gets to be the guinea pig. This dog lunges and snarls at kids. The best thing to do is have a behaviorist evaluate this dog's behavior. We do not have the benefit of seeing this dog in action to say that he is just curious or downright dangerous, but either way at this time having some child feed it treats is not a good idea.

Paula

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
"Its just a suggestion though... to start, maybe you should just have a child feed him treats through a cage and see how he does. Good luck."

I am so sorry, but IMO ABSOLUTELY NOT. First off whose kid gets to be the guinea pig. This dog lunges and snarls at kids. The best thing to do is have a behaviorist evaluate this dog's behavior. We do not have the benefit of seeing this dog in action to say that he is just curious or downright dangerous, but either way at this time having some child feed it treats is not a good idea.

Paula
I agree with you on half of this...because we don't know the dog and the way she describe it, the dog sounds very aggressive.

But if she just over described it and the dog is similar in manor to the person who suggested the treat through the cage then I think it would be alright.

Kate never grew up around kids so she would bark at them. well that was not acceptable because in order for me to have a nice vacation, she had to be around kids :D so she was in a chain out in the front yard of my grandparents and the kids just lived around her. Ignored her and left her alone. Every now and then they would try to pet her, she would bark, they would would walk away. Eventually by the end of 2 days, they were petting her and playing with her.

So to get to the cage part... well that was one set of cousins. The other set she didn't know so she had to be introduced to them in the some what of same manor. Well they were very scard of Kate cause she is a big girl. She coculdnt be chained outside because it was winter. so the first day we were all opening up presents and left Kate in her cage while we did which was about 2 hours. The kids would run by her cage but ignore her. Kate was very calm being in the same room as them so I had one of the girls give Kate a treat while Kate was still in her cage and then give Kate another treat when I let her out. It worked perfectly and Kate was very calm around them and ignored them for the most part

Now that my book is done being written, I think we need to give her multiple suggestions on what to do in this situation and not put down any but make sure the OP knows that if this behaviour is extreme it is not acceptable

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Re: More interaction?

rockysmama said:
It may just be that your dog doesnt understand that a child is a person, simply because he is not used to seeing a moving being that is as short as he is.
This was my first thought. Children are strange creatures to dogs that haven't been socialized with them. Children don't act anything like human adults and often have lots of erratic body movements and shrill voices. This doesn't justify aggression toward them, but it can help explain why a dog would act aggressively toward them. At 7 months, don't puppies usually go through a fear period?

·
Registered
72 Posts
About a month ago, my dog had a little stint where he was afraid of strangers. Concerned about his behavior, I posted a message on these forums. Several people suggested that he was a danger to society and that he should be put down. Now, a month later, he is completely fine. Its as if he just grew out of it.

Your issue sounds pretty serious and visiting with a professional is a good idea. The people here mean well and are very knowledgeable, but some are quick to jump the gun. Had I listened to those people, I would be without my wonderful boy right now. I'm by no means suggesting that child aggression is a trivial matter. This issue needs to be addressed, but I'm not sure that hastily putting the dog down is the right answer. Consult w/ a professional first.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Absolutely - see a professional. We can't tell you sight-unseen what the issue is with your young dog; it could be so many things. In the mean while I think what you're doing is good - take precautions against exposing children to risk.

Paula

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
7 months is like a morphing period..I strongly believe this. ALL of my dogs went through some weird shit at 7 months old. Including Dixie w/ her aggression and other animals, her 7 month visit to the vet is where I first saw it.

Get the behaviorist and a trainer.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
Absolutely - see a professional. We can't tell you sight-unseen what the issue is with your young dog; it could be so many things. In the mean while I think what you're doing is good - take precautions against exposing children to risk.

Paula
Agreed - you shouldn't be on a message board asking advice, you need to be AT THE PROFESSIONAL TRAINER so your dog can be evaluated - please DO NOT take anyone's advice on how to socialize this dog to kids at this point, it is TOO DANGEROUS. If the Trainer works with you and the dog to overcome this, great. If not, and UNTIL THEN, it's an accident waiting to happen and a child could lose their face or their life.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know that different people have different beliefs, so in light of this, I have a request. Please, Please do not make a suggestion to put a dog down. It sickens me to see that some people just care so little about a dog - that their first suggestion is kill it. You don’t really love a dog if you are not willing to make every effort to change a dogs bad behavior, before making the decision to put it down. My dogs are my children. If your child had medical problems and were for some reason hooked to life support, would your first decision be to disconnect it? Or would you rather try everything you can? Would you like it if someone suggested to disconnect your child or would you prefer suggestions that could possibly help? I know that was a little extreme - but - My point is, dogs are family members to a lot of people, and even if you consider yours to just be pets, please think of those people who love them like a child.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
rockysmama said:
I know that different people have different beliefs, so in light of this, I have a request. Please, Please do not make a suggestion to put a dog down. It sickens me to see that some people just care so little about a dog - that their first suggestion is kill it. You don’t really love a dog if you are not willing to make every effort to change a dogs bad behavior, before making the decision to put it down. My dogs are my children. If your child had medical problems and were for some reason hooked to life support, would your first decision be to disconnect it? Or would you rather try everything you can? Would you like it if someone suggested to disconnect your child or would you prefer suggestions that could possibly help? I know that was a little extreme - but - My point is, dogs are family members to a lot of people, and even if you consider yours to just be pets, please think of those people who love them like a child.

Trying "everything you can" is a great idea. Problem is, too many people won't even do THAT. They get on message boards and people tell 'em this or that and they DON'T consider having the dog professionally evaluated, only to have the dog injure someone and become another headline. Proper temperament in these dogs is CRUCIAL.
They might be like your kids but if your dog bit a child or was aggressive to humans and a bite risk I'd hope you would consider having the dog euthanized.
It'd be better for a dog to die in it's owners loving arms than being confiscated by animal control for biting a child in the face (or even killing a child!) spending months in a shelter and dying on death row in a shelter surrounded by strangers after a protracted court case!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I don't think anyone really said go put him down now. But mainly saying what that person may have to do if that dog get's but so bad.

I love my dogs like they were my kids, but you do have to look at the big picture sometimes. What if my dog got out and attacked a child? What if my dog killed a child?

I put down my female pit mix because her aggression became a very bad problem. People could pet her, stop and go to pet her again and she was snapping at em. She even took a bite out of someone and that's when we knew what we had to do.

It broke my heart more knowing she actually got to the point where she couldn't be helped. We talked to everyone we could, trainers and even met a few trainers and she was lunging and bitting at the trainers for no reason at all. I miss her and I still love her, but I just couldn't risk her seriously hurting someone and knowing I could've prevented it.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts