Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mouse has now displayed full dog aggression to this one dog in the neighborhood. Both doss will stalk each other even thon they are separate "Moose on leash and dog in fenced yard. Is this something that bullies start to Show when they mature. Moose will be 18 months on Monday.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
I know Legend loves to play with other dogs but whenever is confronted by an aggressive dog he starts to lose his cool and will give a stare and then if the dog continues you start to see him get a crazy look in his eyes.I think some bullies do start to show aggression when they get older. Just try and nip it in the bud. I know the minute Legend starts getting signs of getting aggressive he is corrected ASAP....If its only this perticular dog it could be that they just don't like each other. If you have to walk Mouse past this dog walk him on the other side of the street on a either side of you where he won't be in full site of the dog. I would give him a correction if he starts to bark,pulling toward the dog and acting up. I use a squeaker from out of one of Legend's toys that he ripped up and take that on his walks with me in my pocket. When I can't get his attention asap i squeak it and he looks right at me.

· Super Moderator
14,605 Posts
I think it boils down to some dogs they like and some dogs they don't. If they do not like a dog it is best to stay clear of him. Is this dog outside all the time or just some of the time? Is this a neighbor you can talk to, like are you able to let her know that there is tension between the dogs? Maybe she /he would bring their dog in when you are going to walk Moose. I know I would. :wink:

· Registered
90 Posts
I think dogs are a lot like men.

Some guys I can approach, and they are calm, and there is none of that "testosterone" chest puffing crap going on. Then there are other guys you meet that you just know he's sizing you up, shoulder out, arms bowed, chest puffed up...if you are a guy, you know exactly what I am talking about.

The difference with our dogs, at least mine, is that they don't play around. Some dog even looks at Logan in a challenging way and he's all business. Sometimes I wish I were a dog....would make life a lot easier to issue an ass-kicking on occasion.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well first of all I'm not a guy but I have seen the chest puffing before. Second the dog is out sometimes. My problem is when Moose gets a bug up his butt he bolts and then he remembers he is not suppose to do that and drops to a down position. This has been going on since he was a small pup. What gets me is it only happens to 2-3 dogs in my neighborhood. Other dogs are fine.

· Registered
583 Posts
You need to redirect Moose when he is around this other dog. I'm sure you are just as anticipant of this dog as he is now...clear your head and walk by this dog with confidence..pay no attention to him and don't allow Moose to either. Give him a stern correction if he looks at the other dog and keep on walking. If that fails, try doing some OB work across the street..make Moose work with the mild distraction at first and get his attention on you..not the other dog.

· Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Carrie but one question, How can I refirect him? I've tried for months but he is so fixed on him. He knows he shouldn't do it because after he lunges he will drop to the down position. I will walk him in the street and he does OK with that but give him a chance he will bolt.
The other dog is no help either because he will stalk Moose.

· Registered
1,532 Posts
debs said:
Thanks Carrie but one question, How can I refirect him? I've tried for months but he is so fixed on him. He knows he shouldn't do it because after he lunges he will drop to the down position. I will walk him in the street and he does OK with that but give him a chance he will bolt.
The other dog is no help either because he will stalk Moose.
Maybe you could use a squeaker from a toy to get his attention or maybe some really yummy treats that he can't resist. And as you start to walk on this street where this dog is talk to him calmly with a treat out and as he pays more attention to you give him a treat and maybe you could teach him "ignore" or whatever word you wanna use. (But across the street from this other dog.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.