Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my dog will not stop biting! OMG. I know that English bulldogs are chewers, which is why we spent god awful amounts of money on all kinds of chew toys for Eleanore when we got her. She has a rope toy, 4 different rubber squeaky toys, an ASPCA stuffed dog (you know the long ones they show on the PetSmart commercials), as well as a couple of rubber chew bones that are flavored like chicken and beef.
But every time I try to play with her, she attacks me and always bites my arms. I look like a cutter! I have bitemarks all over my arms, hands, and feet where she will start biting at my feet when we're cuddled up on the couch together. I've tried ignoring it so she doesn't think me resisting is playing with her, but she just bites harder and it hurts.
What do I do??

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Do you have a crate?, I would give her time outs. Do you offer her a toy to chew on in exchange for your body parts? Is everyone in the house being consistent on letting her know that this is unacceptable? Have you tried hand feeding instead of bowl feeding? I would also sign up for obedience classes. How long has this been going on, I believe she is four months? I always train bite inhibition right from a young pup.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
By that age your pup should have learned not to play bite - what have you been doing to break her of this? Sounds like you need to work on some basic obedience and training with her. She's not being aggressive she is a puppy who hasn't been taught what not to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have tried swapping our body parts for chew toys. Doesn't work; she comes right back to us. We have tried telling her 'NO' in a stern voice and then praising her when she stops biting. Doesn't work. We have tried the spray bottle with water, which was recommended to us by a friend who is a trainer. Doesn't work. Believe me, we have been trying to train her. Nothing we've tried is working.
I'm getting frustrated 'cause I want to let her out to play and train her more often but she bites too hard and too much and I'm scared she's going to get ahold of one of my kids. My 2-year-old is allergic to her saliva; everytime Eleanore licks or bites her, she breaks out in a rash and swells up, so I can't let Ellie around my 2-year old very much. For this reason, she has to stay in her own little area by herself a lot of the time. I hate it; if I had known Caitlyn was allergic to dogs, we would never have gotten one 'cause it's not fair to us or Ellie. But as soon as the baby's down for her nap or bedtime, Eleanore gets let out to play and I do let her out in small increments of time all throughout the day, too. I just don't know what else I can do to help us all be able to live together. I don't want to have to give my dog up. :(

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
It sounds like you should get seek an obedience trainer, It also sounds like your are getting very frustrated and I'm sure your dog is sensing it. It will take a lot off your shoulders having a well trained/obedient dog. When you use the word "aggressive" do you mean as in puppy play? I would act immediately especially if she is biting your 2yo daughter. I also noticed you have piles of toys, it's better to have one toy out at a time. I believe four months is the teething time, are the adult teeth in yet?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you use the word "aggressive" do you mean as in puppy play? I would act immediately especially if she is biting your 2yo daughter.
Well at first she is playful about it. Take this morning... She was on the couch with me and started nipping at my hand through the blanket. At first I didn't react, 'cause I didn't want her to think I wanted her to play with me by biting. I stayed still and her biting got harder. So then I pulled my hand out from under the blanket and said "NO, Eleanore!" I gave her the rope toy I had out for her and she stopped for a minute, and started biting the toy so I praised her. After about 10 seconds of biting the rope, she started biting my forearm. She got my arm in her mouth and clamped down. I yelled out and said "NO! NO, Ellie" and gave her her rope toy. She sniffed the toy, but came back to my arm and bit yet again. I yelled "NO" again and tried to pry her teeth off my arm. She wouldn't let go. So then I tapped her on the nose and yelled "NO! STOP!" and she growled and released, but then she barked and bit down even harder and broke my skin. Keep in mind that the entire time this was going on, my 2-year-old was less than a foot away watching it. I was crying, it hurt so damn bad when she bit me, and when I finally managed to get her off my arm, I put her in her crate.
My arm is ok and the damage is minimal, but WOW. She has NEVER growled like that at me before. I'm the one who takes care of her the most, and she's always been so playful and loving with me. It scared the hell out of me to think "What if she had bitten Caitlyn's arm instead of mine?" The strength she was biting with felt like it was snapping my bones.
I just called PetSmart and got her enrolled in obedience training starting tomorrow night. I hope to God this works. If not, we'll have no choice but to get rid of her. :(
I also noticed you have piles of toys, it's better to have one toy out at a time.
Oh, no, we don't have them all out at once! She has a basket we keep her stuff in, and we pull out one toy at a time for her to play with.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
You need to make the rope toy at least as fun as your arm. Are you just handing her a dead rope and hoping she will sit there and gnaw on it? That's no fun for a puppy who wants to play.

How old is this dog?

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I'm not familiar with Pet Smart's course, Kim from my store said the one near us store was a bit of a joke. Did you ask them if they know how to deal with aggression or do they simply teach basic obedience? Zeus does a totally submissive growl during play, mostly to say lets play but he has never growled aggressively or clamped down on my arm or leg. It's hard to tell from reading on a forum if this is rough puppy play or true aggression.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
You need to make the rope toy at least as fun as your arm. Are you just handing her a dead rope and hoping she will sit there and gnaw on it? That's no fun for a puppy who wants to play.

How old is this dog?

+100

play with the dog, with the toy. play tug, play fetch, hide the toys and have the pup find them, make the pup work for the toys, have her do a sit or down before giving the toys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How old is this dog?

No, I place the rope in her mouth and then pull to play tug of war with her. Isn't that the purpose of that kind of toy? Sometimes I will dangle it in front of her face first to get her to latch on.

She's 20 weeks old, so still a puppy.

I'm not familiar with Pet Smart's course, Kim from my store said the one near us store was a bit of a joke. Did you ask them if they know how to deal with aggression or do they simply teach basic obedience? Zeus does a totally submissive growl during play, mostly to say lets play but he has never growled aggressively or clamped down on my arm or leg. It's hard to tell from reading on a forum if this is rough puppy play or true aggression.
I asked them if they handled agression and the guy I talked to told me that they do. He said the first half of the course is basic obedience, but then the last half is working on any "problem areas" the dog may have.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts

How old is this dog?
+100

play with the dog, with the toy. play tug, play fetch, hide the toys and have the pup find them, make the pup work for the toys, have her do a sit or down before giving the toys.
That's so true, Zeus loves his squeaky toys but he will sometimes put it beside me a nudge it with his snout to say "look this fun lets play, throw it please". As for his rope he we shake it a few times then lay one side of it by my feet or arm so I will play tug. It's very rare that he will just chew on a rope, it's not fun at all for him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really really hope this course will help her. My husband is fed up and wants to get rid of her, but she's just as much my baby to me as my blood children are, and I don't want to have to sell her. :( I'm going to try to work with her more, too, but I am already working with her as much as I feel is possible given the fact that my daughter's allergic (which we did NOT know til after we had already bought Ellie). I don't want to make Caitlyn miserable, you know?

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
20 weeks old? your pup is bored.. if she is kept away when the baby is out and isnt gettng any exercise whether mental or physical she will be a bundle of energy not knowing how to release it.. at 20 weeks she is NOT aggresssive, she is playing and from being cooped up she has way too much energy to know how to deal with it..

all pups play growl and bite hard, they have to learn to not bite hard.

sounds like she is just a pup with alot of pent up energy and no training and needs to learn proper house /kid manners like all pups do.. but i dont see anything in her behavior as being aggressive at all..

if your husband is fed up with her tell him to get off his butt and start training the 20 week old PUPPY so that she learns stuff instead of not learning a thing ... sorry but i just hate when someone says that the dog better learn or else, but doesnt do anything to help the dog understand the house rules or take the dog to obedience training.
puppies are a handful and not for everyone

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would agree your dog is probably cooped up to much. I am always surprised at how much energy Sammy my 11 month EB has. He goes non stop.

Sam gets nipish right when I get home sometimes. I give him lots of attention, feed him, take him for a long walk and then he's usually good to play with his toys while I my own thing.

What I've done, and I don't know if anyone will agree with this, is if he gets to nippy or doesnt stop after being told, is I will flip him on his back and grab the scruff of his neck and get right up into his face and say NO! SAM NO! NO BITING! and I will stay there a moment before backing off a bit. I'll keep my grip on the scruff of his neck until he is calm and let him go. It seems to have curved the behavior pretty well other than when he just gets too excited, but I think it happens then because he is so young.

From my short experience with my bully, just saying no, or giving them a smack seems to be more playing to them. I think with Sammy I'd have to hit him pretty hard to make any kind of impression and I am NOT about to do that - Theyre tough little guys. I think you need to make it clear that some behaviour is unacceptable and own your dog on it, be dominant in the situation.

hope that helps

EDITED to remove "doing myself" LOL!

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
What I've done, and I don't know if anyone will agree with this, is if he gets to nippy or doesnt stop after being told, is I will flip him on his back and grab the scruff of his neck and get right up into his face and say NO! SAM NO! NO BITING! and I will stay there a moment before backing off a bit. I'll keep my grip on the scruff of his neck until he is calm and let him go. It seems to have curved the behavior pretty well other than when he just gets too excited, but I think it happens then because he is so young.
Some dogs won't take so kindly to that.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
i would agree your dog is probably cooped up to much. I am always surprised at howmuch energy sammy my 11 month eb has. He goes non stop.

Sam gets nipish right when i get hope sometimes. I give him lots of attention, feed him, take him for a long walk and then he's usually good to play with his toys while i do myself.

What i've done, and i don't know if anyone will agree with this, is if he gets to nippy or doesnt stop after being told, is i will flip him on his back and grab the scruff of his neck and get right up into his face and say no! Sam no! No biting! And i will stay there a moment before backing off a bit. I'll keep my grip on the scruff of his neck until he is calm and let him go. It seems to have curved the behavior pretty well other than when he just gets too excited, but i think it happens then because he is so young.

From my short experience with my bully, just saying no, or giving them a smack seems to be more playing to them. I think with sammy i'd have to hit him pretty hard to make any kind of impression and i am not about to do that - theyre tough little guys. I think you need to make it clear that some behaviour is unacceptable and own your dog on it, be dominant in the situation.

Hope that helps
some dogs won't take so kindly to that.
+1000000

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
I have an AB you can alpha roll Devnal. Lemme know how it works for ya. Best of luck to you with your training techniques. You're gonna need it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would use an alpha roll on a dog that growled aggressively at me in a heartbeat, but I haven't had an alpha type dog in the house for a very long time.

I also use the the pressure in the mouth thing. When the dog places your hands in it's mouth put pressure on the tongue and bottom jaw - not enough to hurt, just make it uncomfortable for a few moments. Some people here don't agree with this method but I have always used it, and it works very fast.

No matter what you decide to do remember to be consistent. NO hand play wrestling or letting them mouth your hands for any reason.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts