Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
TRUE alpha dogs don't come around too often and the ones that do exist are not going to let someone roll them on their backs without a fight. Most times when people describe their dog as "dominant" or "alpha" they really aren't..

I have seen dogs that their owners describe as "dominant" that are not dominant at all...they just have weak owners..

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have seen dogs that their owners describe as "dominant" that are not dominant at all...they just have weak owners..
What's sad is so many people don't even know they are showing a dog weakness. I just got up to let Daisy back in the house and when she ran in she stole my spot on the sofa. When I made her move my daughter asked why I didn't just go sit someplace else. I told her because I'm the boss that's why. :)

BTW I had 110 pound unaltered Rhodesian Ridgeback male who I alpha rolled. He didn't want to let me do it when he was younger but I was bigger then him then. When he was 110 pounds I was 108 pounds and if I needed to I could still alpha roll him, but only because he knew I was the alpha by then.

Also this was 20 years ago. Alpha training is what we taught all the puppy owners coming into our AKC club for lessons & "Mother knows best" was the book on dog training.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know Eleanore probably is cooped up a little too much. But the way our house is laid out, it's impossible to put up baby gates or anything to give her more room; our downstairs is pretty much one huge great room with nowhere to really block it off for her. My income tax money is coming soon though, so i'm going to invest in one of those really big playyards for her to stay in so she can be "out" but not too close to my daughter.
Some of you need to keep your snarkiness to yourselves, with the comments meant to say that we're not working hard enough to train her. My husband is in the Army with sometimes 16 hour days, and I'm doing all I can while still going to school full time and raising two very young girls along with our puppy. I came to this forum for help, not XXXXX who want to judge the way I'm raising my dog. Believe me, she is in no way mistreated, and aside from her getting too rough when she plays, she is a very happy puppy. We give her the best food, she is well groomed and taken care of, and played with as much as our day allows. But I'm not going to make my child suffer with her itchy rash and swelling up if Eleanore licks her, and that's why it's necessary for me to work things the way I am.
I think if we just stick with it, Eleanore would probably grow out of it, but I do want to try to make her stop biting us. Her chew toys should be more than sufficient for her. But if they're not and obedience training won't work, I'm not going to put my kids at risk by having a dog who might turn on them.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Some of you need to keep your snarkiness to yourselves, with the comments meant to say that we're not working hard enough to train her.
I totally agree with you. People here do tend to get a bit snarky. If you don't train like they do, if you don't feed what they do, if you crate your dog to much or not enough, and oh god don't tell them your going to breed or you bought a cross breed. :rolleyes: I think that's why most new people don't stick around long. There are tons of intros but very few of those people post more then a few times. The posts here tend to come off as "snarky" so people leave or are to scared to post anything.

Here's the trick. Take what you can from it and try to leave the rest. Try and remember that much of what is posted is written and can come across much harsher then if it were said in words.

I lived in dog world, I started showing when I was 13 and I was a vet tech for 8 years of my adult life (I'm pushing 40 now). I lived, breathed, ate dogs. Then I had a child that turned my world upside down. She had a lot of issues most doctors never see so therefor wasn't diagnosed until she was 8, so I went through hell with her as a baby/small child being told by doctors that her condition was my fault for being a stay home mom! After my 2nd child I became very ill and since 2007 I have been in the hospital every year near death - TG for blood donors keeping me alive! So I hear you, but I also know the world some of these peeps live in because I have been there myself.

You love your dog and you are trying to do what is best. Thank you for coming here and looking for help. Some of the advice isn't always delivered well, but it's still good advice and they mean well.

This is what I got for Daisy, maybe this can work for you also.
Flexi Metal Walk-Through Gate w/Small Pet Door and Extensions - Gates & Doors - Dog - PetSmart
It can do a really large opening and the gate is great because you don't have to try and climb over.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Here hon try this article,

Puppy Biting

The part under "no bite" is the technique I use but they explain it much better then I can. Also I don't always take the time to be sure the dogs tongue is out of the way because I want the correction to be immediate, I don't want to be digging around in their mouths before I correct. I have never had to go so far as use lemon juice but it's an interesting idea.

I use this technique because it works in a matter of days if you are consistent and don't confuse the dog by doing hand wrestling games. It actually works right away for a while but they forget fast at this age and start up again. Some people here don't like this technique but they don't have to deal with a child who will scream for 2 hours if the dogs teeth so much as brush her skin. ;p

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
All you got to do is go for a long walks with her.. she s so full of energy and the only way to show it is biting..

don t forget a good dog is a tired dog...

i guess your hubby doesn t want to go for walks with her since he s already tired of her ways..just tell him after the walks she ll be a good girl:)

People here a very passionate and yes sometimes they come off rough..it s the passion for dogs thats talking...don t get offened...you get some good info here...nothing personal..

it s so easy excercise= good dog...try it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
All you got to do is go for a long walks with her.. she s so full of energy and the only way to show it is biting..

don t forget a good dog is a tired dog...

i guess your hubby doesn't t want to go for walks with her since he s already tired of her ways..just tell him after the walks she ll be a good girl:)

People here a very passionate and yes sometimes they come off rough..it s the passion for dogs thats talking...don t get offened...you get some good info here...nothing personal..

it s so easy excercise= good dog...try it...
See dog world, I bet your wondering if they ready your whole last post. Let me translate that into a I'm a crazy busy woman with small kids solution because it's great advice - and they were really nice about it. :)

Your husband works 16 hours, he doesn't have time to walk a dog & she needs exersize in that 16 hours he is gone. You have two small children there is no way you can take a dog for a walk with the children in tow. My guess is she still walks weird on a leash. Maybe pulls, walks in front of you so you nearly trip or ties you up + children can be a handful on a walk all by themselves. But this is really good advice, so maybe you could find someone else to walk her for you. Do you live near other army people, like on base or near one? Do any of them have a high school student that could walk your dog? Maybe throw a ball for a while? Think about it and see if you can come up with someone willing to help you out a little.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
ok no one is being an asshole here so please refrain from using that language. honestly, with your husband gone alot and you raising 2 small children you are better off returning her to whom you got her from. puppies take ALOT of work,and with 2 small kids and your husband already threatening he wants her gone for now returning her is your best option. plus if your daughter is already allergic that is not good either, as that means the dog will always be segregated from her .

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
ok no one is being an asshole here so please refrain from using that language. honestly, with your husband gone alot and you raising 2 small children you are better off returning her to whom you got her from. puppies take ALOT of work,and with 2 small kids and your husband already threatening he wants her gone for now returning her is your best option. plus if your daughter is already allergic that is not good either, as that means the dog will always be segregated from her .
Honesty stings a bit but after reading this thread I would have to agree with Mary Ellen and say with what you have on your plate the last thing you needed was a pup, bad timing I guess.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Ditto!

·
Registered
19 Posts
"I have an AB you can alpha roll Devnal. Lemme know how it works for ya."
- Are you saying this doesnt work? or are you saying its impossible to to it to an AB?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
i think it needs to be said that if you choose to "alpha roll" your own dogs, that is your business. Some dogs will take it, others WILL NOT, and will retaliate. Also, not every human can do it, and you combine a person who does not have the constitution to perform an alpha roll, with a dog that will not tolerate such bullying, there will be stitches needed.

If you have found that method successful, fine, but DO NOT recommend it to someone else, especially a mystery person over the internet.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
I'm saying it's not a good idea and a last resort training technique. I'm definitely not saying an AB can't be rolled but you would suffer some serious hurt trying to roll my youngest AB. He's weak nerved and does not like to be on his back. It's got nothing to do with dominance on my dogs part. He would fear bite. It would be the same as backing a dog into a corner when it doesn't wanna be there. If it works good for you then great. But I'm gonna stand by what MM said about recommending it to someone else. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thank you to the ones who have been helpful; I definitely appreciate the suggestions you've given. It's obvious to me after my experience with this thread and others on the board that there's a real reason why a lot of the newbies don't stick around this forum for long, and that's sad. But whatever... Thanks again for the advice, you guys!!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Thank you to the ones who have been helpful; I definitely appreciate the suggestions you've given. It's obvious to me after my experience with this thread and others on the board that there's a real reason why a lot of the newbies don't stick around this forum for long, and that's sad. But whatever... Thanks again for the advice, you guys!!
You asked for some advice, and got quite abit of it. Sorry that Mary Poppins didn't fly in with her umbrella and coat that advice with a spoon full of sugar for you. Bull breeds as a group take a great deal of responsibility on the owner's part. Trust me, I have 3 working bulldogs. What you view as a problem I would take as a blessing! You want a well behaved dog then you have to put in the work and train it. I don't know where this "I don't have the time" comes in. It takes minutes a day to train a dog. Just 2 10nminute sessions can make a difference. Is your plate so full that you can't find 20 minutes a day?
I work a full time job, 10 plus hours a day and I still find the time to train with 3 dogs.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
britdaw like i said before..the people are very passionante here...sometimes the sentences come out rough but the people mean good..

it s to bad your daughter is allergic...

what i would try is owning the space your daughters in...show the dog not to go near your daughter...i don t know if it would work but i would be ready to try anything..

when there excercised there easier to train...

anyways i wish you good luck..

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Britdaw, I mean no harm or malice in anything I say. At times people do come off a bit harsh and there are reasons for this. Many here, myself included, know firsthand what can happen when things go wrong with our dogs. In some cases it's nothing short of horrific. Some of us are very matter of fact about certain things and we say these things out of concern and well being for peoples dogs. Many bully's come with baggage that is genetically wired into their genes and it takes time and perseverance to overcome some of these things. The advice given here is tried and tested over and over again and though it may be a bitter pill to swallow at times listen and learn, there's a solution here to every problem.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
The advice given here can be harsh at times. It's not always rainbows and butterflies. Many of the owners here are passionate about the breed, and when someone new comes along, posting something that has been repeatedly posted, throwing out excuses as to why things won't work, we will get concerned. Many of us have had scares with BSL in our areas. This is a public forum, you aren't always going to like what you read, but when you post a topic, you are opening yourself up to those comments. I'd like to ask you to go into the News & Events section, and read some of those stories posted. They are horrifying, we are trying to help prevent you and your dog from becoming the next story.

·
Registered
248 Posts
It is quite obvious that many of you have great dog skill but your people skills are a little lacking.

I often tell my daughter she is in trouble not for what she said but the way she said it. Or as my gran says you catch more flies with honey then with vinegar. Caring passionately about something is a good thing but if you don't learn to share your views in a way that make others want to learn from you instead of drive them away you will never be heard. It's a shame, because you all have a lot of knowledge that could be helpful to people and dogs that need it, but with the attitudes some show here people will never stay long enough to learn.

Most forums I belong to would never allow this type of flaming - the Mary Poppins post?!?! Are you kidding me? Your all just mean sometimes. I mean really, really look at how many people you all have run off. How many people join and intro, post once or twice and never come back, and it's not just the ones you are answering either, it's also all the ones reading that are to scared to post because they may get this kind of treatment.

You say you care passionately about what happens with these dogs, and yet you don't really try and help. You gloat you supposed superior knowledge over the newbies and brow beat them for what they don't know, when you could give them the EXACT same knowledge with supportive helpful advice. Yet you choose not to.

You all must really like talking to each other, because you sure do a good job of running all the others away.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Point well taken. Thing is though, you think the newbies, as you call them, are the only ones who get their backsides spanked here. All of us here do by our pears from time to time. Perhaps you do have to be a bit thick skinned to be here but it's the desire to learn more that has kept as many people here for as long as some have been here. This forum is mild in comparison to many other related forums and the staff here keep it family oriented as best they can for being what it is, and that is a passion for our bullys. Perhaps we're a bit over the top but it's always in the best interests for all even if it's misunderstood We do try to help, the problem is getting people to listen.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts