Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
But she was listening, she enrolled her dog into obedience classes. You all were helping! Then someone told her to tell her DH to get off his butt and it was like flipping a switch. You raise her guard and put her on the defensive and listing stops there!

Instead of saying something insulting how hard is it to instead ask if there was a reason her DH wasn't bonding with the puppy as much as she was. Guess what, I bet she would have told you he was in the army and working 16 hour days, and maybe a solution could have been found to help her get her husband to bond more with the pup.

For example. On nights dad gets home early maybe he could take over doing the bath, bed time routine with the kids while she walks or even runs the puppy. Dad gets one on one time with the kids and puppy gets worn out before dad sees her. Then when dad has the kids in bed maybe puppy will be ready to crash and snuggle in front of the TV with dad giving them bonding time.

Had the conversation went that way she would still be willing to listen.

I think you all should try it - I would challenge everyone that offered a snarky, negative response to see if they could find it in themselves to give a pleasant helpful one. Not one that fits your lifestyle but one that fits hers. You all are good at what you do and I know you can think of ways to help in this situation if you wanted to.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Her question has been asked numerous times over the years, a simple search of the forum would have saved her some snarky responses. There are over 226 topics that come up when the term "puppy biting" is searched. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, but as someone once said(I can't remember who?) it is not OUR job to educate you on YOUR terms. You ask for advice, you're going to get both the good and the bad, the snarky and sweet.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
I had to go back through the first couple of pages to where this thread got off topic. All advice given to the OP was sincere, polite, and informative. The comment from a member suggesting perhaps her husband needed to step it up wasn't out of line at all. The fact that the OP took offense to that is unfortunate, but the advice given is true never the less. All other banter between members related to this post is off topic and really has no relevance to her. We do wish her the best in solving her issues with her dog.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Very well said HausMommy. I've been following this thread and there is some very sound advice. To own a bull breed one must have a thick skin because we deal with the public, the good and the bad. I learned a long time ago that I just had to let things roll off my back and take the advice that I was given whether it was snarky or sincere because the people here know what they are talking about and want to make sure that we are able to keep owning such an awesome type of dog that the "public" wants to elminate. If bull owners want to ignore the advice of seasoned trainers and owners no matter what kind of tone it is in then one day we won't be able to own our pets some day.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
When i got Nitro i didn t even know what an AB was..i thought a bulldog was an EB..

i didn t even know there was a Johnson & Scott bully..

i joined here asking stupid crazy funny uninformative questions cause i didn t know crap about a bully..

i read took notes tried all the tricks they gave me and other people and tried it out...some worked with Nitro some didn t ...i was gubbing all the info..

don t forget Knowledge= power no matter which way it s given..
when you know better you do better..that worked for me..

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
When i got Nitro i didn t even know what an AB was..i thought a bulldog was an EB..

i didn t even know there was a Johnson & Scott bully..

i joined here asking stupid crazy funny uninformative questions cause i didn t know crap about a bully..

i read took notes tried all the tricks they gave me and other people and tried it out...some worked with Nitro some didn t ...i was gubbing all the info..

don t forget Knowledge= power no matter which way it s given..
when you know better you do better..that worked for me..
Many of us have similar stories!

When I joined 4+ years ago, I didn't know jack about bully breeds. I came across BDB while googling training tips for dogs. I joined, posted an intro and a pic or two and started asking my naive questions. I didn't know what a BYB was, or why it was horrible to support them, I thought Science Diet was a good food, had never heard of raw feeding. I've learned a lot over the years, and have tried to soak up as much info as I can(I have a 2" binder full of info.) I'm just a pet owner, I don't do any sports with my dog. He's just a pet, but he's a fairly well behaved pet. The most important thing I have learned over the years is that each and every bully owner should be an advocate FOR the breed, since they cannot speak for themselves. Bully ownership isn't for everyone.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Had it not been for this forum both of my ABs would have been PTS. Now they both are turning into great OB prospects. I've taken a whooping from members here, members who know more than I. Their knowledge, advice, and the guts to call BS on me kept my dogs from an uncertain fate. I can't speak for anyone else but me but I think that's pretty damn cool someone would want to go through all that effort. And most here do, day after day after day.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most posts to that point were kind and helpful but it was not said that her husband needed to step it up, it was said he needed to get off his butt. What words you use makes all the difference when they are being read instead of spoken as there is no tone of voice to let the reader know how harsh something is meant to be. You know the person that typed this but try seeing this as someone that doesn't know you all but knows her husband is working his rear off in a job that defends this country so you all can have the freedom to fight for your dog breeds.

On that note Phil the poster doesn't own one of the breeds that the cities are trying to ban. I may be mistaken but I have never heard of a city banning EB's. Beings this owner owns an EB and not one of those breeds the public wants to eliminate that point is pretty moot.

I find it sad that none of you will take my challenge. I find it sadder that none of you can see by the example that I posted how much more we could have learned from each other just by choosing our words more carefully and treating others more kindly. And sadist of all that a person that obviously loves her dog and is trying to do the best by reaching out to you for help was driven to the point of anger and hurt you drove her to and you defend your actions and words.

Yes it must be all her fault, her skin just isn't thick enough to deserve kindness and understanding. I'm sorry Britdaw your just going to have to give up your dog and become a hateful hard*$$ before you can own another EB. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
We're going to have to agree to disagree. The "attitude" on this forum isn't going to change. It's been this way for years. You do have the sweeter members(gazar comes to mind) and you have the no BS tell it like it is members(Lisa.) It's just like real life, not everyone is going to agree, and not everyone is sweet and polite.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
We are not saying that she has to be a bad*** before she can own a bull breed. It doesn't matter what kind of bull you own but if a bull is crazy and out of hand and ends up harming someone even if the dog wasn't being malicious then our dogs are frowned upon even more. I for one want to keep my dog and with BSL running a muck they could be in my town before I know what happened... they've tried countless of times but with a lot of Buckeye transplants these days who don't like bulls we will see BSL in the future and I want my dog to be an ambassodor for the breed. So I will do whatever it takes to make sure that my dog is well behaved and if advice comes with some "spank" then I probably deserve it.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
We're going to have to agree to disagree. The "attitude" on this forum isn't going to change. It's been this way for years. You do have the sweeter members(gazar comes to mind) and you have the no BS tell it like it is members(Lisa.) It's just like real life, not everyone is going to agree, and not everyone is sweet and polite.

Posters take things too personally and often get offended when someone tells them they that how they are doing things doesn't/won't work. I too have been on this forum for 5 years - one of the original members still around. One of the reasons that people come in, intro, and never come back again is that they are BYBs trying to get on to post litters and we end up banning/deleting them because they continue to ignore the rules or when they find out they can't advertise they disappear. Also, people NEVER bother to search through the thousands and thousands of threads with useful information on them and ask pretty basic questions - when they get answers they don't like they freak out. I don't think anyone was out of line on this thread. I suggest that we end this debate about how we give advice here - if you don't like it deathbycannon then why do you stay? You staying to attack others on the forum about how they offer advice does no one any good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ditto Hausmommy, I'll agree to disagree. :)

Sorry bodazafa I am thick skinned so your stuck with me although I do apologize if my posts came off as attacking others as that was not at all my intentions. It would be counterproductive to attack others in a post about that exact topic. ;)

So I apologize for any hurt feelings.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Ditto Hausmommy, I'll agree to disagree. :)

Sorry bodazafa I am thick skinned so your stuck with me although I do apologize if my posts came off as attacking others as that was not at all my intentions. It would be counterproductive to attack others in a post about that exact topic. ;)

So I apologize for any hurt feelings.
I was going to tell you that you to were snarky..you wanted to defend her with a passion and thats what we were trying to do with a passion...

so if you talk to her tell her that were dam good people here:)

now i m laughing...

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
i am the one who told her to have her husband get off his butt and help train the puppy.. i dont regret what i said . not once did the OP say her husband worked long hours, if she had i would have still said it. and i dont think me saying he should get off his butt and help was really that bad at all.

irregardless, raising 2 small children,a husband that works 16 hours, her one daughter allergic to the dog, her going to school, that is no time for a rambunctious puppy to be there. putting the pup in a playpen wont work either, the pup needs training and proper exercise, and in this instance would be better off in another home or returned to where they got her. puppies are hard to handle for some folks with 2 toddlers, jobs, school, and its not fair for the pup to be segregated and :hope she grows out of the biting stage:

·
Registered
69 Posts
NILIF is widely used by many here and is a great training method.
I keep forgetting about NILIF..But yes it is helping. He sits before he gets his meals.

Cannoli is going through teething hell with me right now. My arm looks like a gladiator from the arenas.

He only does this when playing so I need to keep staying on top of him. He does frustrate me at times but this post has helped tremendously in trying out new techniques. In two weeks I can take him for walks around my block and that will also start tiring him out.

Need to stop typing and get back in the arena with Cannoli-King of all puppy biters.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
The biggest thing in training dogs is consistency. Your dog must always know
that you expect him to behave. He should know the words NO and SIT. If he
does the biting will stop. Never let him get away with it or he will think he can again.
NILIF is a great tool and many members find that it is a great help with dogs
between the ages of 8 months to a year and half. Have fun with your pup and
let him know your boss. :)

41 - 60 of 61 Posts