Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, this is for any of you who have done any agility with your dog(s). Boss and I had a class today, he's good with the jumps and the tunnel and target/touch and everything. However, I can't get him to figure out the weave poles :? The trainer told me that I can't lure him with a treat and I can't really do anything other than stand there and wait for him to go through the poles. So, we stood there for a couple minutes and he didn't get it, so we stood some more and he started to whine 'cause he got bored :lol:

Ambulldogpup - How did you teach this to Abby? Any tips anyone?? Thanks!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
What method are you using to teach the weaves? Are you trying luring while the weaves are close together? I find that method completely useless. What I used to teach Abby the weaves is weave-o-matics which are PVC pipes that you are able to pull apart every other way. With the leash attached, lead your dog through the weaves (just make sure he doesn't jump over them). Do that for 2 weeks and then put them a little closer, and use them spread apart like that for a couple weeks until eventually there completely together. Also, make sure Boss enters the weave poles always with his right shoulder, it is considered a fault if he enter from his left. Some dogs take on there entries quickly and others not, Abby learned her entries in one day.

Here is a picture of weave-o-matics:
spread apart:

close together:

If they don't have those at your agility school, you can make them yourself and the directions to make them are at http://www.agilitytrial.com I made my own, and it was rather cheap to make them.

The best of luck to you and Boss in agility training and I hope I helped you!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I can lead him through with his leash? 'Cause the trainer told me there's no command for it and I have to basically wait for him to go through on his own and then reward. :?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Tara<3Boss said:
Ok so I can lead him through with his leash? 'Cause the trainer told me there's no command for it and I have to basically wait for him to go through on his own and then reward. :?
Yes, you can lead him through with his leash. At least for the first couple times. At first, there shouldn't be a command, you really don't need a command until you compete and start doing sequences. Let him understand whats asked of him first, then confuse with a word later :D

When I took Abby to beginner training classes, we had those targets, do you know what those are? We used the lids off of cream cheese plastic containers. We put three targets within the weave poles and while the owner was holding the dog about to enter the weaves, we put diced treats in the targets and the let the dog go. The dog would then w/out even knowing, just concentrating on getting the food, would form his body a little bit to the weaves. Each time we moved the poles closer they would form more. Remember, weaves aren't natural for dogs, jumps and clmbing frames are, so it takes time and loads of patientce. But in the end, you'll be impressed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts