• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I say, go for it! What have you got to lose besides having a great time with your dog? You don't see it very often, but depending on how active and well fit your EB is, sometimes you see them in agility training or shows. Just sign up for a session of beginner classes, see how you and him like it, and take it from there.

Your next question is probably, how do I sign up and where do I find classes?
-Go to http://www.cleanrun.com
-Go to "Agility Info Center" and then
-Click "Agility Club and Schools"
Then press search and type in your area and it'll bring ones up in your state

Hope I helped and I hope you find the right agility school or club!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, thanks!

i'll check into that. i looked at an AKC site and found a local "club" that has agility, OB, and rally? <~not sure what rally is, but they have it....

anyway, i'm starting OB with her next week, she's so eager to learn, and active, oh my..... i can take her for a 2 mile walk and the dog park and she's still raring to go!!!

thanks for info! :wink:

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I would say in most cases no, but there are some nice athletic EBs out there. Carrie, who doesnt post much, has one. I would say give it a go. If she can go for a two mile walk and not be winded, go for it! It wont hurt anything.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
snarky said:
cool, thanks!

i'll check into that. i looked at an AKC site and found a local "club" that has agility, OB, and rally? <~not sure what rally is, but they have it....

anyway, i'm starting OB with her next week, she's so eager to learn, and active, oh my..... i can take her for a 2 mile walk and the dog park and she's still raring to go!!!

thanks for info! :wink:
No problem, I would go with the local club though. There usually cheaper and let you use there equipment on the side of classes for nothing.

Rally obedience is with a set of cones that have directions on them like, Turn your dog left at heel, or have your dog sit and do a 360 degree circle around you. If your dog is good at OB, it might be something your interested in or just do it on the side of agility. I tried it with Abby, but I liked the excitement of agility much better.

Just wandering, for most of the people answering to the poll "no", what are your reasons? If you need proof of EBs that do agility, I can show you.

Some people just don't believe they can do it, prove them wrong my friend!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Here's some pictures of EBs doing Agility:

I'll find some English Bulldogs that have agility titles later for you, but there's some proof for all you non-believers out there :wink: !

·
Registered
62 Posts
ebs

i vote yes... after hearing about this guy i think there capable of a whole lot more than most would think. his name is big block he is the current #1 rated 40lb class dog with a best pull last i read of 2100LBS. pretty impressive for a 38lb dog i'd say.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i love all the photos, thanks guys!!

i would enroll her today for agility if i could but the class is already full!!! i thought, it couldn't hurt and if it does, we'll stop.... i think she would enjoy it though...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Agility

I am looking into starting Lyla in Agility classes next month.
I asked them to email me the cost....
they said. "agility classes are $90.00, and run for one hour, for 6 weeks"
I asked her to clarify the price, but haven't heard back yet.

What do you think? $90 for each week, or for all 6 weeks.
one sounds very expensive and the other sounds cheaper than I expected.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I voted "yes," but it really depends on what you're looking for. Are you likely to break any records and clean up at competition? Well, probably not. But if you're looking to have some fun and build a great bond with your dog - go for it!!

All the "beginner" and "intermediate" classes I've seen start with VERY low jumps and working 1 or maybe 2 pieces of equipment at a time, so it's safe to give it a try (you won't be putting undue stress on your dog). My guess is that the $90 is for the 6-week course - my club runs $120 for 6 weeks, so that's reasonably close. If it's the weekly fee - WOW - $540 for six weeks would be astronomical!

Beetle - as a side note, Mary was my first dog trainer (with my mom's Bernese Mountain Dog), and she is my personal model for "great dog breeder/handler/trainer/all-round dog person"!! It's great to see Page and Puffin doing so well - Page came to test for her CGC/TDI at my dog club last year (and passed with flying colors, naturally)!!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Re: Agility

Lylasmum said:
I am looking into starting Lyla in Agility classes next month.
I asked them to email me the cost....
they said. "agility classes are $90.00, and run for one hour, for 6 weeks"
I asked her to clarify the price, but haven't heard back yet.

What do you think? $90 for each week, or for all 6 weeks.
one sounds very expensive and the other sounds cheaper than I expected.
I agree with Chynas mom, $90 for 6 weeks of classes isn't that bad. Until I recently joined an agility club, I use to pay $125 for 6 weeks of classes. I payed that for each level, until we got to intermediate. Then they keep you in the intermediate class until you can complete a novice course succesfully, but I was afraid my money was going down the drain. So I joined an agility club and they have classes with one of the top international and national competitors in agility. I can't wait to start working with her!

But anyways, good luck with agility! :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
thanks

The girl emailed me today...it is $90 for the six weeks.
I haven't signed up YET, but will. I am excited about it.
I am hoping it will give her some confidence. I haven't mentioned this
before (because I am not interested in hearing about what a fear biting mutt she will turn out to be), but she seems to be afraid of males, unless/untill she knows them well. She does the barking moves in close, then backs up. (tail wagging all the time) She is obviously lacking some confidence for some reason, so I am hoping to help her...but most of all, I want her and I to have some quality fun time together.
Wish us luck....I'll keep you posted.
Julie

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds like great fun!!

baylee is the same way, low confidence....but not with ppl.... with things and objects and sounds....

yes, keep us updated on lyla's progress :wink:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have found that agility can really help with confidence issues. Mostly because you really have to teach agility through positive methods (kinda hard to enforce "play" with punishment). Since the dog is having fun and being rewarded for trying new things, they really start to blossom!

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
886 Posts
i said no

i said no because when i did research on bulldogs it said EBs dont like exercise and also have a hard time with it, due to breathing problems. Now if you said Olde English Bulldogge then i would have said yes

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Re: i said no

bigut64 said:
i said no because when i did research on bulldogs it said EBs dont like exercise and also have a hard time with it, due to breathing problems. Now if you said Olde English Bulldogge then i would have said yes
I'm sure Snarky knows that. If you think that he is having a hard time breathing or needs a break then give him a water break. There will also be intructor on site of course for classes and they will let you know too.

As for not liking exercise, I think that depends on the dog really. As Snarky has said, her EB loves walking and can walk 3 miles with out getting tired. That's so much I can say for some American Bulldogs :roll:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes, it is VERY rare to my pup pooped out.... when we take our walks, at the end she is literally 6 ft in front of me pulling me up the hill :shock: it's so embarrassing, then once inside, she keeps going and going and going....... kinda like the energizer bunny!

don't worry anyone, i won't push her if i see signs of stress.....

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I think most dogs can do it. I am not saying at a competitive level but at some level. You can't expect a EB or even an AB be at the same level as a border collie.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Re: ebs

DK's said:
i vote yes... after hearing about this guy i think there capable of a whole lot more than most would think. his name is big block he is the current #1 rated 40lb class dog with a best pull last i read of 2100LBS. pretty impressive for a 38lb dog i'd say.

That is one awesome dog!!! Impressive for an EB, its really too bad that breed has been ruined so much

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.