Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the owner of a 4 and a half month old American Bulldog pup named Boomer. He is a very good dog, and we have been going to puppy training classes which have been working pretty well. But recently my husband and I have noticed that he gets somewhat aggressive around strangers. For instance our neighbor was outside yesterday and asked to pet Boomer. Well when he aproached, Boomer was very willing to sniff him out but then after a few seconds of sniffing, he proceeded to stand very still, and then went to nip at the man. He then got very aggressive towards him and sort of kept growling at him. The man got a little weary of Boomer, and asked if he bites. I told him no, but he was still content on just checking out Boomer from a distance. Anyways, I've noticed that he's showed this behavior a couple times after this last incident and it's beginning to make me worry. I don't want to have to shelter him from people because I want people to feel like they can come up and pet him. I've asked the trainer at our puppy classes, and shes said to take treats with me when we go for walks, and when someone wants to pet him to tell them that hes a little timid around people, and to have them feed him treats to show that they are being friendly. This has actually worked pretty well when I tried it, but I still get a little nervous.
My husband and I have come to the conclusion that we will get him neutered in hopes that it will calm his aggression a bit. I'm not sure if Boomer is being protective of my husband or I, or if he is just a very aggressive dog. We've tried to stop playing aggressive games like tug-o-war with him, and other things like that as small steps to making him less aggressive.
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this sort of problem, and what they have done to deal with it. Also wondering if anyone who has neutered their male has noticed a significant difference in their behavior. Any advice or reply would be great!!!

Thank you! :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi. we've had the same problem with murphy. he is a 10 month old neutered american bulldog. we got him neutered at 6 months, but it really didn't help much. we also have socialized him ALOT, even from the very beginning and he still acts aggressive sometimes. it is basically the same thing you said. he will be so great and submissive with some people, and then other times he just kind of freaks out. he hasn't bitten anyone, but he just starts barking and growling and acts really scary. we have done alot of training with him, and i've talked to alot of trainers about it, and none of them really have any answers. i think it happens when they start to feel threaten for some reason. it's if someone really stares him in the eye, he feels he is being challenged and wants them to know he is boss. we always correct him, but he has still done it several times. we really don't know what to do either? i'm just always really careful now, and always warn people. it's a difficult thing to deal with.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
You pup has bad/weak nerves. It is genetic, where did you get him from?

It will never fully go away, but you can work with him to get it in control. Getting strangers to feed him probably won't help, you just need to work on getting him to pay attention to YOU all the time. You need to get this in control before he gets bigger, and can turn in to a fear biter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts