Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problems with aggressive play and nipping.

Well Bozkoe is at the age now where he is teething and learning his strengths... one of which is dragging anything and everything around the house. But we are having a problem with him being very nippy, more so than we have experienced with our past dogs. He is very playful and loves my 3 year old but gets very nippy with her as well and it has gotten to the point that she doesn't want Bozkoe around her cause of his puppy sharp teeth. He is also playing this way with my elderly beagle (who is getting very frustrated) and 2 of the cats. I believe it may be because the original owner seperated him from his Momma (him and all his brithers and sisters, because the Mom was only just a bit over 6 months old) and therefore he never got to learn what does and doesn't hurt and what is and is not acceptable. Otherwise he is a great dog and we have so much fun with him, we have considered getting a friend for him to rough house with but we need to get this painful nipping thing under control 1st. Any suggestions???

Thanks all,
Alicia (AKA bozkoesmommy)

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Every time he nips yell ouch and stuff a toy in his mouth, afer a wile every time you say ouch he will get a toy to bite instead of you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, my daughter has the ouch part down, believe you me, now lets see if we can get her to shove the toy in his mouth, she usually just gets up and runs and of course Bozz goes after her as if it were all a big fun game... we'll work on it though and hopefully before too long this teething and nipping thing will be out of the way.
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bozkoe is just over 9 weeks old now, we took him at 5 weeks cause the Mom didn't want the puppies, they allowed her to get pregnant her 1st heat and she was just 6 months old when she gave birth, she kept them around until about 4 and a 1/2 weeks and then we intervened and brought Bozkoe home, we had to bottle feed him every other meal when we 1st brought him home, a lot of work but well worth it in the end... we believe thought that seeing as how he was seperated so early he never had the time to socialize with pups his age, and that is crucial, they learn cues from their fellow play mates on what is and is not acceptable and what does and does not hurt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts