Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from taking Shadow to the vet for a checkup, plus I wanted to have him checked out anyways since I noticed his fur looking alittle thin on his side. I thought that maybe he was getting mange from Sassy or something.

He does have some fleas, and it p*sses me off because my dogs never had a problem with fleas until I started walking them around town more. Never again...

But they said the main reason his fur was looking thin is because he is allergic to the flea bites and that is causing his fur to be thin. I've heard of dogs and cats having this, but I've never had a dog that was actually allergic to em.

They gave us some pills to give him that is supposed to work in 30mins and it kills fleas. So we're gonna try that and see what happens. Luckily the my dogs fleas are very minor right now, we're getting them all dipped soon and spraying the house and yard so we can go on and nip it in the butt so it won't get worse.

Does anyone else have a dog that is allergic to fleas? I would really like to see how other peoples dog have reacted to this.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I don't think you need to spay the house.... When Kate got fleas when we first moved into the apartment. The vet gave me advantage and said that it will kill the existing fleas and keep using it until the ground has been frozen at least 3 times. Because the fleas will be drawn to her more because of the advantage and when they bite they will die. I haven't noticed a flea since then and that was last October. When the weather started getting warmer again, I started using frontline (because of the ticks in Iowa)

So as long as you keep vaccuming your house, you shouldnt have to spray, the pill the doctor gave you should work, or get some advantage/frontline

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
hey no problem! I just figured that would be cheaper then spraying the house. Get your other dogs on advantage too though so they don't get it.

The woman (s) who lived in my apt before me had I think 2 cats and 2 dogs :)shock: in a 1 bedroom apt) so I believe that is how Kate got the fleas, they were just sitting around from the previous owners animals

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know how they could stand that, I think one dog would be enough for a 1 bedroom apartment. But then again people probaly think I'm nuts cause I have 4 dogs running around my house.

I'm gonna rub some frontline on everyone tonight. That's the bad side about having so many dogs...it just goes back and forth. I think I know where they got it from, theres a couple that lives behind me and they have a dog they keep outside and I always see him/her scratching so I'm guessing they came into my yard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts