Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm definitely not a dog behavior expert, but I think people read way too much into this dominance thing. He's biting you because he's a puppy, and that's what puppies do; they put everything in their mouth to explore their world (kind of like human babies!) He simply hasn't learned yet what things are not acceptable to put in his mouth, and he hasn't learned how hard he has to bite before he hurts someone. When he bites you, let out a shriek like he's killing you so he knows he's hurting you, and then offer him something else to play with.

Because he's a puppy, you don't really have to worry about dominance problems right now. Just set firm rules for him, practice obedience, and make him do a trick before you feed him, play with him, pet him, put on his leash, let him outside, etc. (also called the Nothing in Life Is Free program) This makes it very clear to him that you control all of the resources in his life and are his leader. You can be the "alpha" without doing silly things like having staring contests with him or flipping him on his back to "show him who's boss."

· Registered
1,180 Posts
ares said:
make him lay down turn him in a way his belly would face u, make him stay like that, puppies hate it and it should be the last thing to do to prove you're alpha...
Alpha rolls are outdated and terrible ways of "proving you're alpha." A good leader doesn't need to prove anything. Alpha rolling your dog is a good way to A.) lose his trust, and B.) get bitten (in older, stronger dogs). Controlling your dog's resources (food, toys, play time, access to the outdoors, etc.) is absolutely the best way to be his leader. A true alpha never forces his (or her) pack into submission by alpha rolling.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
jleonar said:
Why is it then that dogs naturally do the roll when they are submissive. I would never attempt an alpha roll with an older dog or a dog that I have not worked with but I definately made my puppy get on her side to show submissiveness when she did the wrong thing.

The alpha roll is also not the only thing you need to be doing. You should be a leader is every way with your dog especially during walks.
Dogs naturally roll without having to be pushed by the alphas. A strong leader exudes confidence and doesn't need to force his/her pack members into submission. Forcing your puppy into an alpha roll is confusing and scary for her. I would never risk ruining my relationship with my dog (by confusing her, scaring her, making myself look emotionally unstable) by forcing her into submission using a potentially dangerous technique that might not even get the message across.

· Registered
1,180 Posts
jleonar said:
You act like it is physically hard to do with a puppy. The moment you say "NO" in a strong assentive voice, they freeze up and I basically push and the dog falls over
So if the puppy freezes up when you say "NO," why is is necessary to take the additional step of pushing her over? Haven't you caught her attention enough? Why not re-direct into something positive like playing with a toy...set her up for success rather than failure. If the puppy isn't even trying to be dominant, why would you put her into a submissive position?

Different strokes for different folks, but your method has been blasted by very well respected dog behaviorists.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.