Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,123 Posts
staring contests

I always look my pups in the eyes when I talk to then , But to just stare down a pup can be iffy I have seen people do this to pups
and they think its a game and lung for the face and bite it (Not Good) . My pups are out of that stage now (Thank God LOL)
But I would just be persistant at yelling ouch or a yelp or a firm NO when they bite to let them know it hurts they usually let go right away at least they should. And then give a toy that they can bit on. This is just what worked for me but it wasn't over night puppies chew and bite their teeth are like little needles. They have to learn how to play and have control over there bite. There just being puppies right now

· Registered
1,123 Posts
I agree

bella said:
So if the puppy freezes up when you say "NO," why is is necessary to take the additional step of pushing her over? Haven't you caught her attention enough? Why not re-direct into something positive like playing with a toy...set her up for success rather than failure. If the puppy isn't even trying to be dominant, why would you put her into a submissive position?

Different strokes for different folks, but your method has been blasted by very well respected dog behaviorists.
I agree with this totally

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.