Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an American Bulldog thats currently not nutered(March 17 he will be) he's about a year and half old and is just always excited and never seems to calm down. On walks and trips to the vet he is hard to control cause he just gets so excited. When he was a pup we went thru the puppy training classes and they told me that this is just his personality that was all fine and dandy when he weighed 30 pounds but now at 130 he is lil hard to handle. I can walk him fine on his choke collar but i have to correct him alot but he does understand when he does something wrong. Im not sure if i just need to practice more and more with him or if I should try some more classes with him. My vet told fixing him wouldnt change his energy level but everyone else says that this will change him alot. Just would like any opinions on if fixing your dog change his activity level or not?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have heard that, but I don't personally know anybody's dog who clamed down after. I would suggest more classes. Jaz is always a spaz. It takes lots of training to get her to be calm, especially around kids, but she has learned. I let her be a spaz all day pretty much, unless we go out, or have company.

I'm not an expert, but I would suggest before going out, taking him for a long walk, or run. Play fetch, whatever. Just make him a bit tired before you go. It seems like Jaz has energy to infinity!!!! But it helps when she's exercised well.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Get a carpet mill.
Get them tired out. Simple.

AB is supposed to be high activity level. What did you expect?

I like a dog that is insane. YOu can do a lot with enthusiasm. Makes life easier. Easier to motivate.

Think about how to harness his energy rather than making him calmer.

Where did you get your dog? Your dog seems to have odd coloring for an ab.

·
Registered
790 Posts
TRAIN it to love it.
If you hang a weiner in front........trust me..........your dog will like it.

If you just strap it on.........it will hate it.

After awhile, they go nuts when the harness comes out.

behavioral modification. Simple.

Just because humans do not like treadmills does not mean dogs don;t
LOL

·
Registered
78 Posts
PeterC said:
TRAIN it to love it.
If you hang a weiner in front........trust me..........your dog will like it.

If you just strap it on.........it will hate it.

After awhile, they go nuts when the harness comes out.

behavioral modification. Simple.

Just because humans do not like treadmills does not mean dogs don;t
LOL
i know, i just can't help mentally picturing paris hilton and a little chihuhua running on treadmills together, seems too hollywood for me! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.