Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cato, my 13 week old apbt has started something new this past week and I dont know why!

Everytime he even gets "the look" for something he has done wrong, he pees!

We have NEVER spanked him or even yelled at him. We always re direct and correct, only once has he had to go to time out.

Now, when its time to potty, he will hide, when you go to get him he pees. If you coax him out of hiding, he will go out and sit for the longest time, even attempting to go back in w/out pottying. When you turn him around he pees.

There hasn't been anything to scare him in the yard. He never has accidents anymore, but even if he is chewing on my table and I tell him no, he pees.

What the heck is happening with him????He acts as if we are beating him, and I dont know why!

Please help, it worries me.The others dont do this. I have even seen Chocy go to him like "Its alright" I have seen his mom "herd" him outside, but I dont know why he suddenly feels intimidated by humans!

He barks at the new neighbor kids through the fence, he meets many people and dogs every evening walking, but at home he seems scared!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
you are smart & experienced enough to know this is a major issue with nerve and temperament. I just hope none of the other pups that are gone are having this same issue. It could morph into something more serious.

I would monitor this very closely and make the needed decision if it comes to that

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You really think this is a sign of a nerve problem???

My opinion and from what I have ever witnessed with nerve problems was different, so I didnt think. He's so big and brave all the time, so smart(kinda!!!!!) .in his own special way. He is more immature then the other two, by far, but as far as nervey, I didnt suspect. I was afraid you'd answer with that, but didnt think!

I am in the process of videoing. My older son is home an hour before I am, and GOD help me if he is scaring him for some reason.

I will definalty keep a close eye on things.

Like last night, he was fine, went potty, played, had a good ole time. This a.m., hubby opened his pen and he just sat there wagging. So hubby sat down and called him, he came out walked over to him, and peed.

He jumped on his crate about 2 weeks ago just as I was letting him out, and the latch jammed his toe. He screamed and screamed and started peeing everywhere until I could get it off. I thought his toe came off.

Think that has any bearing???
I doubt it.

Thanks, Ill watch, and yes, with all the dogs and kids I have around my house 24/7, I know what to do if it persists.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
sajoseph said:
You really think this is a sign of a nerve problem???

My opinion and from what I have ever witnessed with nerve problems was different, so I didnt think. He's so big and brave all the time, so smart(kinda!!!!!) .in his own special way. He is more immature then the other two, by far, but as far as nervey, I didnt suspect. I was afraid you'd answer with that, but didnt think!

I am in the process of videoing. My older son is home an hour before I am, and GOD help me if he is scaring him for some reason.

I will definalty keep a close eye on things.

Like last night, he was fine, went potty, played, had a good ole time. This a.m., hubby opened his pen and he just sat there wagging. So hubby sat down and called him, he came out walked over to him, and peed.

He jumped on his crate about 2 weeks ago just as I was letting him out, and the latch jammed his toe. He screamed and screamed and started peeing everywhere until I could get it off. I thought his toe came off.

Think that has any bearing???
I doubt it.

Thanks, Ill watch, and yes, with all the dogs and kids I have around my house 24/7, I know what to do if it persists.
Is he doing it all the time, or just when you come home? It could be submissive urination, which will go away if you ignore it and try to build him up by doing some obedience.

·
Registered
790 Posts
bad nerves and aggressive towards kids............hmmmmmmmm sounds like a winner.

:?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think making a video and posting it would definitley be helpful.

Some dogs do urinate out of submission but the barking at children worries me. I have met a few submissive urinators, and every one of them I would also consider nervy. Take that for what it is worth as its only been a handful of dogs.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Lisa said:

Some dogs do urinate out of submission but the barking at children worries me. I have met a few submissive urinators, and every one of them I would also consider nervy. Take that for what it is worth as its only been a handful of dogs.
Depends on if he is barking aggressively, or playfully. If he wants to join the kids and is just excited, then i don't think it's a problem with nerves (in that respect), but should be corrected. He is still a puppy, but yeah i think video would help.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Exactly, peebles, and thats why I thought a video would be helpful...to see the dogs body language etc. I think if the pup is barking and backing up then that would warrant concern. If its barking out of excitement, well thats a different story entirely.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Lisa said:
Exactly, peebles, and thats why I thought a video would be helpful...to see the dogs body language etc. I think if the pup is barking and backing up then that would warrant concern. If its barking out of excitement, well thats a different story entirely.
yup! :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me clarify(ooops!) We have never had children next door until last week. Then they moved in (6 of them) SORRY_I LIE-2 weeks ago! Anyway, they started smacking the fence with shovels and what not. Cato barks when he hears this. But if they are just playing in their sand box next to the fence, he is all wiggles and happy wanting to see them. But when the kids get to banging and"barking" he cannot see them through the fence, he barks, but thankfully-no hackles!

He submissvely pees randomly. I am learning to read him. If I walk up to him and he thinks I am coming to him, it makes a difference if I open my arms-he likes that and wont pee. If he runs past me with a pencil he found in the yard and I go to grab, he pees.

No it is not just me, its also towards my husband.

Sparky used to be a pee-er, but quit 3 weeks before he left.

Im gonna try cookies and such, try to build him up again. Wish I knew what knocked him down!

The kids he visits at the home, he loves. The kids we encounter at the park and walking he loves. He just seems unsure of something.

The more I think about it, I hope to hell my oldest isnt scaring him. Ill kick his a$$. But thats how he seems for some reason.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, and as soon as cingular comes back on, its down in parts of Fla, Ill video and post it, I also want to post progress by Daizy on video. How do you post video?Need a hosting site as well?Have it on photobucket?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Og again.........and when he does bark at them, he is like 4 or 5 feet away from the fence, and listening. He kinda (imagine this) looks into the air and "smells" and barks upwards. Then finally the kids will poke finger through the fence(its a privacy fence) and he will approach wiggly.

All of our dogs are very much obedience trained. We always try to stay on top of training. We give commands and they follow. And he sees us do this, and we have started with him. We use cheerios(his favorite) He is sooo goofy, when he comes to see you he collapses on you for loving. He throws himself at you like a big oaf! he is so goofy.

I dunno!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
PeterC said:
bad nerves and aggressive towards kids............hmmmmmmmm sounds like a winner.

Maybe I misread, but where at all did she say he was agressive towards kids??? I know she said he barks at them through the fence, but what dog doesn't bark? I'm not meaning this in a bad way, so please don't take it that way... :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
apbtgurl26 said:
PeterC said:

Maybe I misread, but where at all did she say he was agressive towards kids??? I know she said he barks at them through the fence, but what dog doesn't bark? I'm not meaning this in a bad way, so please don't take it that way... :)
I didnt, he must have just misunderstood.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Lisa said:

Ditto..I have a female Boxer cross with AM Bull 16 weeks old with submissive urination (sp?) and I have not even made her available for adoption until I go figure a little more on her stability...She is treated extra special due to her issue and will still piddle..but she has never ever bark or anything just piddles everywhere :( ..even if you look at her she piddles :( ..

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will work on the video, because there are so many differences. Im confused.

He will pee if you give him "the look" but if you approach him huggy kissey open arms, he doesn't.

Like I said when hubby coaxed him outta the cage, this is the only time he wouldnt come out voluntarily, but he did pee then. He doesnt when he is approached by strangers and other dogs.

Just really strange.

How do I post a video once I get my phone back up??? Cingular has had outages for 2 weeks almost, on and off, and we just signed a contract with them the day before. Im ready to take it back and cancel my contract. My cell is an emergency cell as well for work for clients......lotsa good its doing if its down, huh??!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
"she said he barks at them through the fence, but what dog doesn't bark?" YOur quote.

This is not a form of aggression? Perhaps fear based? No?

I would watch that dog. Good luck.

Question.........Suppose there was no fence there and the kids were playing next yard, very boisterously and loudly, like most kids dog. Just wondering what YOU think would happen.

If the dog would be playing and happy, then I would say, no problemo.

If the dog can NOT be trusted (YOU cannot trust the dog), then you just answered your question.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The dog can be trusted. As of right now, and if you read, I also stated that the dog will get all wiggly and happy when the kids poke fingers through and talk to him.

If there were no fence, then he would run right outside and jump(I mean flop) into their laps and kss them to death.

The reason I think he is barking when they do this is because he cannot see what the heck is making all that dang noise.

he doesnt pee when he hears them!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Aren't the kids next door wild? They could be scaring them or if your son plays rough with them that could do it......I know this sounds silly but does your husband have a soft voice...MytCHihuahua was scared of men for a little bc he was mainly exposed to women and the voice difference scared him until he had been around men for a little while

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No, hubby has a deep voice.

Yeah, the kids next door just moved in. They can see sideways through the slats in the fence and the first day they saw the dogs they started banging with shovels against the fence, and once they started barking, the kids barked back. Remember I posted about neighbors who dont speak english???

Ever since then he barks at them, until he actually sees them and they quiet down.

The barking Im not really worried about simply because of the way he acts in public......if he were like that anyways Id worry more. I understand there may be a connection......

The kids treat them as babies-well Clay Jr does. Never rough playing with him.

The older boy, he is hard to explain, alot like my ex, his dad, very vein, very spoiled. he collects and wears $200 pairs of shoes and I have heard him yell at the dogs to get away from his shoes.......and I flipped! But thats a whole different story!

Thats why I may think he yells at them or shooooos them away. Hed never beat or hit them.................

1 - 20 of 28 Posts