Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

am. bulldog pregnancy

14K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  angela doran 
#1 ·
I mated my am bulldog recently. If she is pregnant she is about 30 days along. She looks fuller in the tummy, she has been eating more and sleeping more. Her tits are hard and dark pink. My question is if there is anyway I can know for sure. She has a vet appt. for next week. I have palpated her tummy but I think I feel something and then I don't . I am confused.

#2 ·
The vet should be able to palpate at day 30(minimum).If you are new to this,you may not be able to tell by palpating on your own, and can actually damage the puppies if you do not do it right.

If she is changing on day 30, it is a pretty good bet that she is pregnant. You can get an ultrasound that will not hurt the babies 2 weeks after mating, but it is very costly. X rays cannot be done until day 53 or so, it can be detramental to the babies if done too early as well.

Wait until the vet appt before you go feeling around any more by yourself.

#4 ·
I am not positive, this is what my vet told me.

You shouldn't even try to palpate until they are farther along, when the babies are easy to feel and they feel like walnuts, not marbles.

I dont know, imagine little tiny puppies forming and you jabbing them with your fingers, guess it is bound to mess something up!

If she is 30 days, then in a couple weeks, you should start seeing the puppies almost as large lumps in the belly, and actually see them move!
Do a search on the net for a dog pregnancy calendar, this helps tremendously. I have a link, but it is at home. I can send it to you tonite if you want.

#6 ·
I'm not trying to insult either of you, but I think this thread just goes to show that most people need to do more research and at the very least have a mentor (professional, ethical breeder) that will allow them to watch the entire process of mating, gestation, and whelping before they even consider breeding their own pet.

#12 ·
pitmommy said:
NO Fact just Bellas single minded opinion
Fact: These people don't much about the breeding process (don't even know how to feel the puppies!)
Opinion: They should have had an ethical breeder mentor to show them these things prior to breeding their own dogs.

I don't know how anyone could think that opinion is malicious and single-minded.

#14 ·
Opinion: They should have had an ethical breeder mentor to show them these things prior to breeding their own dogs.

This is a better suggestion, everyone is a first timer at something. The FACT is that the dog is pregnate , many do think they will just go with it as it happens. I am hands on myself with everything I do.

#15 ·
bella_blue said:
pitmommy said:
NO Fact just Bellas single minded opinion
Fact: These people don't much about the breeding process (don't even know how to feel the puppies!)

I don't know how anyone could think that opinion is malicious and single-minded.

Bella.......no one here stated one time that they knew it all. That's why we asked questions. There is a different story for each of us, but both of us need help. Don't we all need help once in a while??? We are just stating the fact that being a general public forum, we the general public have every right to ask a question, no matter what it regards, and that being a modern civilization, we should all be alittle more respectful towards others feelings and we are all competant enough to act like grown ups. And as far as feeling for the puppies, do you know how to do it? I didn't, but I asked, I found out the do's and don'ts of it, and offered my knowledge to someone else.
That's all.

Can we please drop it now....this is getting real old real fast, and no one is gonna give, so whatever. Everyone is just following a trend, and it has become"whose side r u on??" which is unfair to those who sincerely need advice. It's getting hard to follow.

Everyones opinions are known now, so be it. I am sure when it comes down to it, we will get advice when needed.At least I hope.

#16 ·
sajoseph said:
Bella.......no one here stated one time that they knew it all. That's why we asked questions.
I'm sure there are people out there who are considering breeding their dogs and are reading this forum for advice/suggestions/support/etc. I would like THEM to see my suggestion of being a mentee to an ethical, professional breeder. I'm not trying to insult you or angela; I'm trying to offer suggestions for people who are considering breeding and happen to stumble on this post.

No, I don't know how to feel puppies, but I am not breeding Bella. So your point is moot.

I'm done with this post now...just wanted to clarify myself because apparently I'm becoming one of the least-liked people on this board.

#20 ·
How is your momma doing? Dixie is ok. I felt the puppies last night! Lay your female on her side, gently put one hand, flat, underneath her and use the other to feel just below her ribs. GENTLY press palms together and feel around, press the palms,(NOT FINGERS) You will feel them. Like little hard golf balls, funny! I was upset at first the way things happened, but now I cant help but be excited!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.