Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After switching Harley from Diamond Puppy Lamb & Rice for large breed dogs we went from 6 cups per day down to 4. But now she acts like I am starving her. She appears to be hungry all of the time. Always looking for food around her bowl and anywhere else she can find food. Is this normal?

·
Registered
208 Posts
physical appearance is the best judge about if you are feeding too little or too much. Post some side pictures and people might be able to give some advice. Usually if you are feeding quality food then 6 cups would be way overkill. I feed Lucy 2-3 cups of Dick Van Patten Natural Performance food.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some pics taken of her tonight. Something I have noticed with her which really concerns me is now she is going to the garbage looking for food. I obviously don't want to over feed her but at the same time if shes still that hungry...... I also think I am going to have her tested for worms. I wormed her back in January, but maybe it's time to do it again.

Kelly

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
If Harley looks the same way he does in your banner then I wouldn't worry about a thing. We are only feeding BUB 4 cups a day as well. I bet he'd eat 20 if we gave it to him :D .

You just have to be the judge on what he gets.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Of course they will always want more food :D I think 4 cups a day is plenty. Like someone just said, physical appearence is the best judge. Shes fine :p

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
She looks very nice in your banner and she should maintain the same body type. When she is really hungry, a raw bone with a bit of meat on it would probably quiet her for quite a long time. :p Seriously. Saturday night Loki chewed on a raw bone for about 5 hours. It was great.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
kogeki said:
She looks very nice in your banner and she should maintain the same body type. When she is really hungry, a raw bone with a bit of meat on it would probably quiet her for quite a long time. :p Seriously. Saturday night Loki chewed on a raw bone for about 5 hours. It was great.
LOL, thats what I do when I want some quiet time!!

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Heck, I feed mine 3 cups per day. They act hungry, but look good. You can just barely see their rib cages (except Montana, she's currently very pregnant and eating 5 cups per day), but they look healthy. So, I wouldn't worry about how she acts, as long as she's not getting too skinney.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Four cups a day is what I feed skinny-bones Dion (who weighs 40 pounds) and TWICE what I feed chunky-butt Buster (who weighs 90). It really depends on the food and the dog. You just have to look at their bodies to decide if you are over or under-feeding. All of my dogs would eat the entire bag if it was available, and still ask for more. Ravenous little piggies, they are. :D She looks good in her pics.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Haus only gets 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If Harley looks the same way he does in your banner then I wouldn't worry about a thing

She does. I did do things a bir differently today though. I gave her the normal 2 cups in the morning and then when I got home from work I gave her 1 cup of dog food w/ a 1/2 cup of rice. And a little while ago I did the same. She's not acting hungry or going near the garbage. Is this ok to do on a regular basis? Will this cause exessive weight gain? Would it cause any other issues?

Her dog food is chicken soup for the dog lovers soul.

Kelly

1 - 12 of 12 Posts