Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am new to this board, but you guys seem to have lots of good advice.

I am going to be graduating with my master degree in a couple of months and moving onto to the "real" world. I had a dog growing up, but haven't had one for quite some time now. I think that now might be a good time to go ahead and get a furry companion. I will be moving to Tampa, FL to begin working in January, and I am currently planning on renting an apartment.

Do any of you have any experience keeping an AB or APBT in an apartment? I understand that these breeds are full of energy, and I am prepared to walk the dog daily, and go to a dog park on the weekend. Also, I am considering getting a treadmill for myself, and I know that some people train their dogs to run on them as well. Is there anything else I should consider?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have an AB in an apartment. It has worked out well for me so far, and she is nine months old. All you have to do is exercise your baby and they are fine. If you are getting a dog from a breeder then I would pick the laid back one (which is what I did). The good thing about my girl is she is ready to go when I am, she is not crazy all the time. I do a lot of activities with her take her to the lake, parks, just stay active and you will be fine.

I also take her to the tennis courts and let her run free when no one else is around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
angie7349 said:
I have an AB in an apartment. It has worked out well for me so far, and she is nine months old. All you have to do is exercise your baby otherwise and they are fine. If you are getting a dog from a breeder then I would pick the laid back one (which is what I did). The good thing about my girl is she is ready to go when I am, she is not crazy all the time. I do a lot of activities with her take her to the lake, parks, just stay active adn you will be fine.

I also take her to the tennis courts and let her run free when no one else is around.
awesome, this is encouraging news! the tennis court is a really good idea :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I never had an AB but I would never own an APBT in an apartment. I rescued my boy at 7 months and he was living in a 1 bedroom apartment and the poor thing had NO room to move, it was really unfair. Pitbulls NEED to be run daily, and NOT in a dog park. PLEASE do some research about this breed and dog parks, it's a big no no!!

I think having any dog besides a small one in a tiny apartment is cruel unelss run daily, and many people don't have the time to do that!

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I did not notice the dog park comment, big, big no no!!!! Keep your baby on a leash and away from strange dogs. Both breeds are likely to be dog aggressive which makes dog parks a bad idea. And you could be luck 100 times then 101 strikes and your dog attacks another?!!!

That is why I take mine to the tennis court she can run free with no other dogs around in a gated area.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Yup it can be done. I used to live in an apt. with two dogs one a German Shepherd and an APBT. Very long walks is key(for the pups age) and maybe if you can have playdates with a friends dog INSTEAD of going to dog parks. And doggie treadmills are great for those times when its extremely cold or your pressed for time.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think it can be done too...but I really wouldn't advise it...

While most people start off with the best of intentions...eventually life intrudes...and you work late...or you're tired...and then the dog doesn't get the exercise it needs...and then it starts to 'misbehave'...etc.

If I were you, I'd suggest getting a smaller breed...something that can blow a bit of energy off tearing around the apartment. Maybe a Boston Terrier? French Bulldog? Then when you have a nice large yard...get your big dog...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
When I moved into my 1 BEDROOM apartment, Kate was just a year.

It is amazing how dogs will adapt.... at my aunts house and when we go back to my moms.... kate plays plays plays plays plays. At my apartment, where she doesnt have the room to do it.... she doesn't. She sleeps 99% of the time.

I think it is very possible and definitly an okay thing, but you do have to realize that walks are a necessity. Kate gets 2 walks a day. Those are her potty times. Then she goes outside randomly to just go pee

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
carpet mill and/or lots of excercise and you'll be good. If there's nowhere you can go to safely let your dog run, then plan on taking long walks.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Well, I think if you are going to attempt this then you should buy yourself a good quality, anti bark collar. Dogs do bark throughout the day (some more than others) especially when they are crated and not happy about it. I think if you are that close quarters with others then that is the least you can do. If you are going to have a dog in an apartment setting I think you need to respect your neighbours. If your dog barks or whines throughout the day, your neighbours will hear it. The least you can do is ensure they are quiet and not irritating everyone else in the building.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't recommend an APBT to anyone for a first dog. They are more than most people are ready for, especially if you've never had a dog of your own. I think I would do some very serious thinking if I were you. I don't mean to discourage you from owning an APBT if that is what you really want, and you are certain that you are up to it, but I walk through the animal shelter at least once a week and see far too many of this breed that I love looking out from behind a chain link fence because someone thought they wanted a "pit" and got a hell of a lot more than they were ready for.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Lisa said:
Well, I think if you are going to attempt this then you should buy yourself a good quality, anti bark collar. Dogs do bark throughout the day (some more than others) especially when they are crated and not happy about it. I think if you are that close quarters with others then that is the least you can do. If you are going to have a dog in an apartment setting I think you need to respect your neighbours. If your dog barks or whines throughout the day, your neighbours will hear it. The least you can do is ensure they are quiet and not irritating everyone else in the building.
The dog will get use to the noise! Legend never barked even when someone knocked on the door. But if you've got a barker then yes I think you should get an anti bark collar or the one that spray's instead of the correction thingy. Most of the people are at work during the day and could care less about barking. It all depends on your area. I know the guy I lived next door to had a little dog. Not sure what kind. that constantly barked everytime you came up the steps it was quite annoying. Especially late night when you come home and this dog is barking his head off!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Not everyone works during the day (for example, I work swing shift and my hubby steady midnights). It seems like much of the time at least one of us is tring to catch some zzz) If you were my neighbour and you had a dog that was barking during the day, believe me you would hear about it. Also, some dogs act differently when in the presence of their owners and when alone. I also think those citronella collars are a joke to any real bulldog. Hell, my AB barks right through the Tritronitcs bark limiter I spent a $100 for (yes he is extreme). Citronella? LOL.

Legends, why are you against the "correction thingy" collars? I assume you are talking about the ones who give an electronic stimulation? Like the Tritronic one I mentioned?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i currently live in a one bedroom with a 5 month old apbt mix and we do just fine. lots of walks and play time. my apartment complex is filled with people who have 1-3 dogs in an 1 or 2 bedroom apartment and all of them seem to be doing just fine.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
hanicus said:
Hi everyone, I am new to this board, but you guys seem to have lots of good advice.

I am going to be graduating with my master degree in a couple of months and moving onto to the "real" world. I had a dog growing up, but haven't had one for quite some time now. I think that now might be a good time to go ahead and get a furry companion. I will be moving to Tampa, FL to begin working in January, and I am currently planning on renting an apartment.

Do any of you have any experience keeping an AB or APBT in an apartment? I understand that these breeds are full of energy, and I am prepared to walk the dog daily, and go to a dog park on the weekend. Also, I am considering getting a treadmill for myself, and I know that some people train their dogs to run on them as well. Is there anything else I should consider?

Hey!
First off I would like to welcome you to Tampa! What area will you be moving to? Where will you be working?

It is very hard to find a good apartment here that allows large pets. Most places allow cats but make you pay a high deposit on them! Most of the apartments here have turned in to condos and the ones that havent are on the verge of doing so. Please before you get the pup make sure you can find an apartment that allows you to have dogs over 50lb! I would say best bet would be to rent a house (if that is aplicable) they are usually just a little more then apartments here and can be more giving on allowing dogs.

I don have experience in an apartment...but in a condo the size of an apartment yes. I had no downstairs or upstairs neighbors and I had a backyard...so not the same. But the size was a 1 bedroom small thing and the size of it made no difference. I have a AB and APBT in the home with me so even with 2 dogs it ws OK. Walking them everyday is a great idea. They do have tons of energy and in a smaller place they can drive you nuts. Dog parks not so good. Lots of times there are other untrained dogs there and its just asking for a confrintation. Best to keep bullies to walks and treadmils. you will have to teach them to use but many people on here do and the dogs love it. Other then that...

Tampa is a great place! Lots to do and lots to see! Hope you enjoy it here!!!

Lindsey

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Lisa said:
Not everyone works during the day (for example, I work swing shift and my hubby steady midnights). It seems like much of the time at least one of us is tring to catch some zzz) If you were my neighbour and you had a dog that was barking during the day, believe me you would hear about it. Also, some dogs act differently when in the presence of their owners and when alone. I also think those citronella collars are a joke to any real bulldog. Hell, my AB barks right through the Tritronitcs bark limiter I spent a $100 for (yes he is extreme). Citronella? LOL.

Legends, why are you against the "correction thingy" collars? I assume you are talking about the ones who give an electronic stimulation? Like the Tritronic one I mentioned?
That's why I said most not all and like I said it depends on his area.Sometimes I don't always work during the day either. If I knew either of my dogs barked excessively(meaning more then normal. You have to expect a dog to bark at some point) I would have someone petsit during the day/night.I had asked my neighbor does Legend bark during the day. He told me No I never hear him. I even hadfamily members check in on my dogs during the day. I asked did they bark when you came in NOPE! :D
I've seen the citronella spray ones work on alot of dogs(Labs,Goldens,Min Pin.,APBT's,EB's) I'm not saying they'll work on all dogs! Some dogs are stubborn! lol
I never said I was against "correction thingy" collar(yes,you know what I meant. lol). I wouldnt use it on my dogs unless they were Pain in the ass barker's!

Your dog barks through it??!! Go get your money back!!! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ChappsnHolly said:
I never had an AB but I would never own an APBT in an apartment. I rescued my boy at 7 months and he was living in a 1 bedroom apartment and the poor thing had NO room to move, it was really unfair. Pitbulls NEED to be run daily, and NOT in a dog park. PLEASE do some research about this breed and dog parks, it's a big no no!!

I think having any dog besides a small one in a tiny apartment is cruel unelss run daily, and many people don't have the time to do that!
ChappsnHolly said:

I am aware of the viewpoint that APBT should NEVER be taken to dog parks. I understand the reasoning that there maybe some latent dog-aggression, and that any kind of fight may be overblown by onlookers and involved parties given the breeds' notoriously bad reputations.

The dogpark was a suggestion presented to me by a woman who runs one of the local dog rescues. I was looking at a pitbull dog that she had, and it seemed to be getting along alright with the other dogs. I will, however, be sure to consider all the circumstances, and think twice about bringing a bully-type dog out around other, perhaps, unmannered dogs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Rue2 said:
I think it can be done too...but I really wouldn't advise it...

While most people start off with the best of intentions...eventually life intrudes...and you work late...or you're tired...and then the dog doesn't get the exercise it needs...and then it starts to 'misbehave'...etc.

If I were you, I'd suggest getting a smaller breed...something that can blow a bit of energy off tearing around the apartment. Maybe a Boston Terrier? French Bulldog? Then when you have a nice large yard...get your big dog...
I haven't signed a lease yet, so there is a chance I may be able to find a reasonably priced one or two bedroom home with a yard. I still have an open mind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Kate said:
When I moved into my 1 BEDROOM apartment, Kate was just a year.

It is amazing how dogs will adapt.... at my aunts house and when we go back to my moms.... kate plays plays plays plays plays. At my apartment, where she doesnt have the room to do it.... she doesn't. She sleeps 99% of the time.

I think it is very possible and definitly an okay thing, but you do have to realize that walks are a necessity. Kate gets 2 walks a day. Those are her potty times. Then she goes outside randomly to just go pee
awesome! the good thing about my work is that i will be able to work from home quite a bit and telecommute to work. so a long walk in the morning and/or afternoon combined with a shorter walk mid day are definitely reasonable. still working on a gameplan on what i would do for the days where i have to be on site, but all this feedback is very helpful :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
We have two dogs, one 5-month old APBT and the other a 13-year-old boxer/dalmatian mutt and live in a 1400-sq. ft. top-floor converted warehouse condo loft.

First of all let me commend you on seeking advice. Humble curiosity is a dying trait these days!

We've never believed in 'yards' for a dog. I see a yard and I see a prison. Dogs are meant to be walked. A LOT. Especially APBT's.

We do great living where we live with our two boys, but heed the warnings: APBT's do have a heck of a lot of energy and do need tons of exercise. Since getting Griz I've lost 14 pounds, and I attribute it to the long, vigorous walks we take with him, trying to wear his little punk a$$ out!

We have the advantage of being minimalists and having a HUGE open living space. The dogs BOTH can run and play like crazy inside in addition to their daily mileage on leashes outside.

I think you can do just fine with an APBT in an apartment within reason. If it's super small with no space for pitbull playtime, then no. If it's mid-sized but jammed with junk, furniture, and nik-nax then no. If you're not ready to commit to some serious walking, outside as well as inside (on a treadmill or whatever) then no. You can do it, just be ready for the hard (but rewarding) work!

I also agree, if you've never had a dog or haven't had one since childhood I'd go with something a little more mellow than an APBT...........I speak from experience here...........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.