Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12 week old American Bulldog puppy who isn't eating like it should. I feed him about 1 1/2 cups of puppy food. It will eat a little bit of his food out of his bowl and then stops. If I put his food on the floor he will eat all of it, and then sticks his head back in the bowl to eat a little bit more (wierd dog). The puppy food he's on is Diamond Puppy Food. I don't know weather to change foods or what. All though he's not eating alot he's still growing. Is this normal? I had him for a week, and I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday for 13 week shots. I thought I might ask the question on here before I take him to the vet. Thanks

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
mydawgjordin said:
I have a 12 week old American Bulldog puppy who isn't eating like it should. I feed him about 1 1/2 cups of puppy food. It will eat a little bit of his food out of his bowl and then stops. If I put his food on the floor he will eat all of it, and then sticks his head back in the bowl to eat a little bit more (wierd dog). The puppy food he's on is Diamond Puppy Food. I don't know weather to change foods or what. All though he's not eating alot he's still growing. Is this normal? I had him for a week, and I'm taking him to the vet on Thursday for 13 week shots. I thought I might ask the question on here before I take him to the vet. Thanks

Hi! I had the similar problem with my fella. Is your dog pooping normally, or is loose/runny? Have you noticed any scratching/itching problems?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! I had the similar problem with my fella. Is your dog pooping normally, or is loose/runny? Have you noticed any scratching/itching problems?[/quote]

My wife says he had one loose stool yesterday. That's the only one I know of. When I got home and took him out it was normal. He scratches around where his collar is at, but not all the time. I'm thinking he's not use to his collar or something. I've been bath him twice since I've had him to put him on a twice a week schedule. Other than that he dosen't scratch that much. He loves grass, I don't know what that's about. Thanks

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
mydawgjordin said:
Hi! I had the similar problem with my fella. Is your dog pooping normally, or is loose/runny? Have you noticed any scratching/itching problems?
My wife says he had one loose stool yesterday. That's the only one I know of. When I got home and took him out it was normal. He scratches around where his collar is at, but not all the time. I'm thinking he's not use to his collar or something. I've been bath him twice since I've had him to put him on a twice a week schedule. Other than that he dosen't scratch that much. He loves grass, I don't know what that's about. Thanks[/quote]

Hmmm, I'm not sure, then. Some around here were saying that the puppies will not eat and kind of test you. I hope someone more knowledgeable comes to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I'm not sure, then. Some around here were saying that the puppies will not eat and kind of test you. I hope someone more knowledgeable comes to help you.[/quote]

It's all good. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
If he eats off the floor, but not out of the bowl, perhaps he doesnt like putting his face in the bowl. Or maybe hearing his 'snuffling' echo back bothers him. You might try a low sided bowl maybe, then work up to the type of bowl you would like to use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CowBella said:
If he eats off the floor, but not out of the bowl, perhaps he doesnt like putting his face in the bowl. Or maybe hearing his 'snuffling' echo back bothers him. You might try a low sided bowl maybe, then work up to the type of bowl you would like to use?
That sounds like a good idea. I will give that try. Thanks Bella!

·
Banned
3,504 Posts
Also, if you've only had him a week, he may just not be used to his new surroundings yet. As long as he's healthy adn not showing signs of any illness, my gues is he'll become a little chow hound in the next week or so, as he settles in little more.

Good luck...and post some pics of him if you get a chance!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Maybe he has parasites? Have you had a stool sample tested?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Diamond "Natural" Large Breed puppy

I feed my AB Diamond "Natural" Large Breed puppy food, the chart on the bag has been fairly accurate, but remember the charts aren't gospel. 1 1/2 cups might be ok depending on your puppy's weight.
Get a couple good long tug play or retrieve the ball sessions in a day, the appetite will increase :wink:

www.diamondpet.com/products/diamond_naturals/dogs/dry_food/large_breed_puppy_lamb_and_rice_formula/

lbs...................6 - 11 weeks........................3-4 months
3 - 5................1 - 1 1/3 cups........................--------
5 - 10..............1 1/3 - 2 1/4 cups..................1 1/4 - 2cups
10 - 20........... 2 1/4 - 3 1/2 cups................. 2 - 3cups

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To the vet.

I took him to the vet today to get his shots and deworm. The vet says he's really healthy. He thinks its his dog food. The breeder I got him from had him on Diamond Puppy food, and that's what I've been feeding him. The vet recommended IAMS or Science Diet if I didn't want to try their brand IVet. I got a bag of IAMS today and mixed a little with the Diamond so it won't upset his stomach. He's eating the mix much better. I just hope IAMS will make him big and strong like his Sire. Is IAMS really a good food?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=642

This link is the first thread in this Health and Exercise section. It has a formula to "Rate your dogs food" . Get your Iam's label of ingredints and check it out. Diamond isn't bad food, I think it's one of the better rated, but not expensive and usually easy to find, I bet that's why many breeders use it. My dog was on it when I got her, she's doing great. Lots of Vets recommend food that they sell ie Science Diet. There's a lot of posts here about what others have found out with their switching.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tycosales said:
http://www.bulldogbreeds.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=642

This link is the first thread in this Health and Exercise section. It has a formula to "Rate your dogs food" . Get your Iam's label of ingredints and check it out. Diamond isn't bad food, I think it's one of the better rated, but not expensive and usually easy to find, I bet that's why many breeders use it. My dog was on it when I got her, she's doing great. Lots of Vets recommend food that they sell ie Science Diet. There's a lot of posts here about what others have found out with their switching.

Ok I thanks. I will checkout the link.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts