Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post here, I know this isn't the introductions section but I'll briefly tell you all that I live in Pennsylvania with my two dogs a 12 week old male American Bulldog puppy and a 3 year old female Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

My question/concern is regarding my pup. At 12 weeks he's at 25 lbs. He's a slender guy but chows down about 4 cups a day of dry kibble. When I took him to puppy classes there was a pit bull there who was 14 weeks but was much larger and surefooted, he also seemed more... I don't know how to describe it, just more "together" like a miniature version of a pit bull whereas my American Bulldog is quite awkward/goofy (poor guy!).

I want to know if 25 lbs is a good weight for an American Bulldog pup at 12 weeks. (I cannot find average growth charts ANYWHERE for american bulldogs, maybe because there's so many different lines with different sizes.) He's roughly 75% Johnson and 25% Scott. The sire was 85lbs at 1 year and not sure of the age of the mother but I know she was older and 65 lbs.

I'm just hoping my dog is developing correctly. I had no real worries until I say that pit bull and I remember when my staffie was a pup she was much less awkward/goofy as well. On a bright note though he's practically the best in the class, pays attention, very eager to learn and practice obedience...

Anyway, maybe some american bulldogger can help me out. Thanks.

-- mr c

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Hi and welcome! It's my first time owning an AB, and I noticed that he was very much so in the goofy stage until around 5 months or so. It's almost like they're bodies are so big, they don't know what to do. His weight sounds fine, too...get ready, b/c he's heading for a growth spurt!

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be able to help you.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Welcome! He sounds like he is growing properly. My APBT was 30lbs at 3 months old. And I know AB's and APBT's are sometimes in the same weight class. Yeah they will go through a goofy phase where they are clumsy and too small for there legs and paws! lol :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Your pup sounds very normal! My boy AB was clumbsy and goofy for a long time. They just seems to take a long time to grow into their legs and feet. Just when their bodies seem to catch up their legs stretch out again. At about a year and a half he'll become more stable.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Josie's Proud Mom said:
Your pup sounds very normal! My boy AB was clumbsy and goofy for a long time. They just seems to take a long time to grow into their legs and feet. Just when their bodies seem to catch up their legs stretch out again. At about a year and a half he'll become more stable.
same here and dont worrie your ab will pass that pit in no time

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes it's normal :mrgreen: Gunnar is so awkward still it is so cute and funny! His paws are sooo big when he walks they thump out infront of him and he's wagging his tail so hard he looks like he's going to tip over. I love this stage :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
All puppies are goofy and awkward! Bentley's paws and head were WAY too big for his body, he looked so silly trying to carry that noggin around. He definately grew out of it, they always do! (Bentley's heads still GINORMIC, but now he has a big neck to hold it up;)

·
Registered
719 Posts
...puppies can look really weird sometimes...depending on their breed...

Case in point? My mini-dachsie! For a while we thought she'd never grow into her big head... :shock:

Ignore the mess...my parrot was 'feeding' her... :wink:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Puregrover said:
Josie's Proud Mom said:
same here and dont worrie your ab will pass that pit in no time

Ditto, Buster is 9 months and has gone through many awkward stages.His head will be bigger then rest of him then his legs get real long so then he has a big head with long legs and short body but then it all evens out and then he goes through another growth spurt.I can always tell when he is going through these spurts by his head and legs.......lol

BTW, Welcome to the forum :D
Now were are some pictures of your babies :wink:

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the responses everyone. I just get worried, ya know? Not looking for him to be a hulking giant or anything, just want to make sure he's developing normally. Once I get some pictures on the computer I'll post them up for ya'll to see. He's got beautiful coloring and I had my pick of the males (he was the most relaxed, the biggest, and the nicest coat.) I e-mailed the breeder my concern and he said that the pups developing the way he should and that they'll go through awkward phases.

If I'm this paranoid with a puppy I can't imagine how I'll be with kids!

-- mr c

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
My AB was a bit akward around that age. Both of mine I would say. A little goofy while walking and such. Almost clumsy. Your pup will grow out of it. And welcome :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I remember when my AB was 10 weeks old and how awkward he was when he ran...those huge feet thumping along with that cute little puppy run LOL It was a sight!

At 13 months old, he seems a bit more graceful now and has finally grown into his feet! :D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Smaller breed dogs gain control over their muscles and joints much quicker than larger breed dogs. You see the awkwardness in larger breeds go on for much longer than a small breed dog. That's one way we determine if a dog is going to be small-medium size as opposed to a larger breed dog, but of course it's not a 100% guarantee ;)

·
Banned
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought everyone should know, went back to puppy kindergarten and my AB is bigger than pit! Not as wide but taller. Everyone remarked on how much he grew! :D Still kind of awkward though.

-- mr c :wink:

·
Banned
908 Posts
mr c said:
Just thought everyone should know, went back to puppy kindergarten and my AB is bigger than pit! Not as wide but taller. Everyone remarked on how much he grew! :D Still kind of awkward though. yes he will awkward for some time to come

-- mr c :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts