Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum...i have a 5 month old American Bulldog, from Sanders kennels in Georgia.
I had him in a basic obedience class at a local place, with a group of about 6 dogs, and he recently finished that. It was once a week for 6 weeks...This place does offer the next level of advanced obedience which is in december, another class, which ends in the Canine Good Citizen evaluation test...
The other option i have is training through the breeder (sanders kennels) i got him from. He offers all levels of training, including basic obedience, advanced (offleash) obedience, personal protection, scenario training etc...if you want to see at all what im talking about his website is sanderskennels.com...It is the type of training where i would leave the dog with him, i guess 'boarding training', but i dont know much about that or how good the benefits are, so thats why im posting this thread. The trainer we used now says it wont hurt but her point about the dog listening to his commands might not mean he will listen to ours seems like it might be somewhat valid...Ive seen this guys other dogs in action and they are great, and they have all sorts of certifications i guess...one other thing the trainer used for the class doesnt like is that this place would use choke collars...
I guess im just looking for some advice/opinions on this type of training vs. the class obedience type...I mean if it works as good as his dogs are, i would send him in a second
my pup flex at 11 weeks
flex's daddy
flex's mommy

thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
66 Posts

I would go with the breeder personally but like you said, there are potential problems with this boarding/training method. I would think with good communication prior to the training with respect to your goals and needs will certainly help limit these potential problems as well as a commitment from your family to follow the training guidelines established by the trainer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hey i just bought out of sanders also and that first pic u put up looks like meir i believe, which is the same male my female is out of and i was having the same thoughts on how i should go about training mya my puppy. I guess if i had the $ i would let the breeder do it for me .

let me know what u decide and how it works out

thannks eric

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
IMO I dont see how you can send your dog to be trained.
Your dog is supposed to OBEY you and if you are not the one
to give the commands or teach / help with training then why
would your dog listion to you??? I myself prefer to train my own dogs BO
then find a trainer if I want to go farther then basic OB.Sending the pup away
to have someone else train it seems like a easy out.I myself want to be involved in
my dogs training every step of the way.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Bustersmommy said:
IMO I dont see how you can send your dog to be trained.
Your dog is supposed to OBEY you and if you are not the one
to give the commands or teach / help with training then why
would your dog listion to you??? I myself prefer to train my own dogs BO
then find a trainer if I want to go farther then basic OB.Sending the pup away
to have someone else train it seems like a easy out.I myself want to be involved in
my dogs training every step of the way.
I agree, You need to be trained to train your dog, basically.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would go through all training yourself. In order for your dog to respect you and respond to you, you need to build a bond....the way you build the bond is through training. Continue to take your dog through your obedience classes yourself. Get a CGC or OB titles yourself. Your dog will respond much better to you if you have gone through all this together.

Now, if your breeder will train you and your dog together, that would be fine as well..but from what i gather on thier site, they want you to send the dog to them. Sure they may put the basics on your dog, but what good is that to you if the dog will not respond to you when it returns..or you have no idea how to work the commands, etc.....

Leave personal protection training to the professionals....if you got your dog for just a pet..keep it as just a pet. Not every dog is cut out for that type of training, and it takes a lot of time and dedication to train in personal protection...more than a quick trip to the breeder's, that's for sure. If you want to train in PP, look for a local club in your area doing Schutzhund or French Ring and train with your dog together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts