Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I do them myself.. I've been doing it for 5 years so I guess I'm some sort of mini expert.
:oops:

Anywho, you pretty much do it when your dog starts to scoot. Some dogs you don't even have to do their anal glands
because they express themselves. Some dogs get their anal glands impacked and they can get infected.

The best option if you don't want to do it yourself is to have your groomer do it, it's usually only $5.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
i wud opt for the groomer doin them if i were you :lol: it is not a nice , fun, pleasant, interesting ect, ect job.
:pukeright: :pukeleft: :pukeright: :pukeleft: :pukeright: :pukeleft:

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
My sheepdog's used to back up...thank god Orson hasnt had that problem!
It is really foul!! I knew my sheepie's needed it when the horrible
"metal-like" smell came from her back end.
You can do it yourself...get a towel and put over butt and on either side of
hole you can feel round sacs, and just squeeze toward each other and
up & the "juice" will come out. :pukeright:

Easier to have vet or groomer do! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
16,023 Posts
The general rule is to express the anal gland when you are giving the dog a bath. Either in the tub or outside. Some dogs glands hardly develop anything and others develop alot. When you feel back there if it feels a little swollen and lumpy it usually is filling up and needs expressing. I do not find it a difficult thing to do, just stinky and messy. I had to learn this the hard way when I had a toy poodle that developed an impacted anal gland. They had to do a little surgery on it to release the impaction and then the vet taught me what to do and when. Easier to keep it expressed than to have surgery. :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just talked to a girl about this the other day. For some reason, I thought it was only something that small dogs needed to have done. Dunno why. Anyway, my dog is always smelly!! I have tried every shampoo on the market. Do ya think it could be the anal glands???? Humm, I don't have a groomer, so is it something my vet could do??? It sounds kinda gross, so I may not want to try it my self. Also, does it hurt the dog to do that to them???

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Anyway, my dog is always smelly!!
Is he smelly from his butt area...the smell only comes from back
there when its the glands. And it isnt a "poopy" smell, just like a
tart foul smell from what i remember...very distinct!
Ohhhhh, getting nausous remembering the smell....

·
Registered
623 Posts
LOL, he is just smelly!!! He is my little shiz tu, so he butt is close to the rest of him. I am going to find some one to drain those bad boys and see if that is what it is. He just smells, kinda sour all the time. Well, may be I can talk my husband in to doing it. Sounds easy, just nasty!!!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It could be a possiblity of why your dog may be smelly, one of many possibilities.
Anal glands smell a little like spoiled fish.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
coco said:
LOL, he is just smelly!!! He is my little shiz tu, so he butt is close to the rest of him. I am going to find some one to drain those bad boys and see if that is what it is. He just smells, kinda sour all the time. Well, may be I can talk my husband in to doing it. Sounds easy, just nasty!!!!!
We had this conversation some time ago. I was asking the same thing. My boy smelled like a spoiled, sour wash cloth. I tried everything... Then I switched his foods and the smell is gone!!! I don't know exactly what was in the food that caused this, I just know my dog smells way better now!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.