Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
Just a little query about anal glands :oops: Since I got Obi 9 months ago he has had his anal glands cleared 4 times. I think this is quite excessive as none of my other male dogs have ever had to have theirs done.

What i'm really wondering about it this....his anal glands tend to leak about once a month, onto the carpet in the living room and when they do woe betide any of the other dogs that go near him. Any ideas as to a) why his glands might be leaking this smelly stuff so frequently and b) why does he attack the other dogs if they come near afterwards??

I think another trip back to the vet is needed but just thought i'd come here first to find out if anyone has similar experiences?

Thanks Fee x x

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
My friend has a English Bulldog and her dog had to go to the vet every two weeks to have them expressed for awhile.
Your dogs anal glands could be full and thats why they could be leaking.
The fluid from the anal sacs should be dark brown to medium brown. If yellow color and/or blood is seen in the fluid an inflammation or infection may be present in the anal sacs. You may want to talk to your vet about it.

Here's a link on anal glands
http://vetmedicine.about.com/gi/dyn...ttp://www.marvistavet.com/html/anal_sacs.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't actually see a patch tonight when he did it but normally it's a creamy white colour?? I've just read one of the links Gazar put on and it says it's a territorial thing. I knew that but I always thought it was just when they were out on walks 'marking the spot' when they excreted. I guess this could explain why he gets nasty just after?

The last time I took him to the vet to ask why they kept excreting he gave me no answer other than "they seem ok now, so must of emptied themselves when they last excreted on the carpet"

I better take him back tomorrow I think.

Fee x x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts