Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for some reason for like the past month Angel has become a little aggressive not so much towards me but toward Alexis.
It's strange cause Alexis plays with her and while she is more affectionate towards him cause she likes guys...sometimes for like no reason she come up and bite at his hands and run away and if he gets mad at her she'll growl or bark at him. obviously he gets very upset. I blame the way he plays with her and torments her sometimes but he says that's not it.
I dunno what else to say or do.
she doesn't do that with me.
also i was hoping with time she would stop jumping all over people when people come over but she doesn't and i have no idea how to get her to stop doing that either....
i really don't have the money to pay 500$ for a personal trainer to come to my house...
please help
someone.....
anyone :cry:

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Chico went through a little phase where he would jump on people and punch them in the gut. Sometimes he would pinch their belly with his teeth to try and get their attention too. Obviously, this was not acceptable! What I did was asked my friends to pick up a squirt bottle that I had conveniently placed outside my front door and when he jumped up, they would squirt him right in the face. Right after, I would ask him to sit and when he did he would get lots of praise and a treat. He pretty quickly realized that he would get more attention from sitting than jumping. I don't know if it will work for all dogs but it worked really well with mine.

We took obedience classes through the local recreation department and they were only $69 for 8 sessions. I'm sure they weren't the best trainers out there but we were very satisfied with the trainer we got. You may want to check and see if you have something like that in your area. It really helped me to bond with my dogs and also to establish that I was the one making the decisions. I liked the class so much, we took it twice. I'm planning to enroll in a more advanced class in the spring.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
If Alexis is tormenting her and egging her on he deserves what he gets. Some dogs have more backbone than others and will not tolerate people or other dogs trying to dominate them. IMO people do not respect dogs enough and alot of people who get bit deserve it.

·
Banned
3,926 Posts
Lisa said:
If Alexis is tormenting her and egging her on he deserves what he gets. Some dogs have more backbone than others and will not tolerate people or other dogs trying to dominate them. IMO people do not respect dogs enough and alot of people who get bit deserve it.
LISA YOUR ALWAYS SO :evil: BUT TRUE SO TRUE I AGREE 100%

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
I agree with Lisa as well. Dennis plays extremely rough with Haus, and usually ends up getting bit. Haus isn't like that with me. I always tell Dennis 2 things. 1 is to not play with him like that because I don't want Haus to think EVERY time someone is on the floor that he can get rough(ie Dennis' 3 year old nephew) and 2 not to whine to me when Haus kicks his butt!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Chad always tries to wrestle with Dozer and I say NO!!! to both of them. Chad loves to wrestle with dogs, so I had to train him as well. I now tell him if he wants to play he can grab the tug toy and that is their play time. Chad has gotten used to it and everything is great.

As for the jumping up, I think Chico and Heidi's idea is great. My trainer told me when ever the dog jumps turn away from them and ignore them. They jump on them to get attention and if you ignore them they will stop. It will take longer then the spray bottle, but it works.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lisa said:
i actually totally agree with you,
it just makes me so mad because he gets mad at her when she gets aggressive with him. but i always tell him he can only blame himself but he says it's not his fault cause she should know that he is her master and she shouldn't act like that. but see the way i see it is if we are supposed to be the ones in charge and we need to let the dog know that we got it's back and then he isn't acting like that with her he's trying to scare her and bother her and get her to bark then she is never gonna believe that his intentions are good, so she will always feel threatened by him if he messes with her.
it angers me cause he complains and he makes me think she is a bad dog. but she doesn't act like that with me.
she's usually very good with me.
grr its like how do i train my boyfriend not to be a friggin nerd

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chico.Heidi said:
Chico went through a little phase where he would jump on people and punch them in the gut. Sometimes he would pinch their belly with his teeth to try and get their attention too. Obviously, this was not acceptable! What I did was asked my friends to pick up a squirt bottle that I had conveniently placed outside my front door and when he jumped up, they would squirt him right in the face. Right after, I would ask him to sit and when he did he would get lots of praise and a treat. He pretty quickly realized that he would get more attention from sitting than jumping. I don't know if it will work for all dogs but it worked really well with mine.

We took obedience classes through the local recreation department and they were only $69 for 8 sessions. I'm sure they weren't the best trainers out there but we were very satisfied with the trainer we got. You may want to check and see if you have something like that in your area. It really helped me to bond with my dogs and also to establish that I was the one making the decisions. I liked the class so much, we took it twice. I'm planning to enroll in a more advanced class in the spring.
the only places that have that here are petco and petsmart.
we looked in to getting a personal guy to come but it was gonna cost up like 500-600$ and that's insame and i don't have that kinda money.
so maybe i'll try taking the petco class and see how that goes. i think the main problems is she is a very hyper puppy.
and i'm hoping with age she'll grow out of it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lisa said:
oh and in response to her having back bone.
Angel usually doesn't take shit.
she isnt mean but she is very assertive.
and she knows very well what she likes and doesn't like.
we have a lot of dogs in this neighborhood whose owners let run around off leashes most knwo to mind there own buisness but some of them get ballsy and run right up to her and get all up in her face. she'll never growl or bark but she'll get up in there face like you need to leave me alone.
with alexis he will chase her around the house or put his arms up and growl at her frankenstein style and she'll freak out and be scared at first but then she stand in front of him and growl and bark at him she won't bite him (although she has on occasion when they;re playing)

my thought was that i think her actions are due to his behavior with her.
but i wanted to run it by here to verify cause i don't think its a problem with her but i could just be naive

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
to break my dogs from jumping my trainer told me ,that every tme they jump just turn around and ignore them. walk in another room if you have to. just dont give here no attention for such as yelling, eye contact , etc. then make her sit before she can get petted. they catch on that if they jump they wont get any attention.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Our trainer told us to use the pinch collar on Titus for the jumping, when you know someone is coming have the pinch collar on and leave the leash by the front door, that way before you open the door make the dog sit and stay while you open the door, if the dog gets up then make them go back into the sit stay position. Let the person greet and praise your dog as long as they are in the sit stay position. It has worked for us with Titus..... good luck! oh and tell him to stop scaring the poor puppy!!! those little bites sound like puppy pay back to me...LOL!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Angel's Mommy,

Please don't waste your time and money on a Petsmart or Pet Co "trainer". Notice I have the word trainer in quotes. That's because the people who they hire probably don't have much more experience than you. They will hire people who have never even trained a dog before (the only pre requisite to being a PetSmart trainer is that you like animals -what a joke) and put them thru an 8 week crash course and then they are all of the sudden "trainers". Most of them have probably never even heard of an AB, let alone been on the end of a leash with one. These trainers are probably only capable of handling, handler soft, easy to train Labs, Retrivers, and dogs like that. Bring them a dog with any type of issue and forget it. Bring them a dog with aggressive tendencies or a dog that's extra stubborn and again forget it. These people have about as much experience training dogs as I do flying a helicopter. Don't you live in Miami? I am sure there are at least a handful of good, quality trainers (people who actually have credentials and experince with bull breeds). If you want I can ask around on some of the workng dog boards and see if I can find a trainer for you. Let me know.

As far as these loose dogs.....UGGGHHH. I would give the owners of those dogs a piece of my mind. Angel may be "ok" with loose dogs getting in her face now but I can guarantee that it will change in a few months when she matures into an adult dog. You know in a few months if a dog pisses off Angel which dog is gonna come out with the short end of the stick and you know who is going to get blamed. Get on those people's cases if you already haven't!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
" grr its like how do i train my boyfriend not to be a friggin nerd"

first off... you can't train men. my goodness, i thought most people knew this already :lol:
second, i completely agree with lisa, don't wast your money of pet smart schoolin. you might as well just throw it away. there are quit a few ways to go about teaching a pup not to jump up. the water bottle is one. taking the scruff of the dogs neck EVERY time she jumps up and putting her, all four on the floor, with a firm shake and a "no" is another. you can ignore the dog but sometimes with a stubborn pup they will jump more instead of less. using a "rattle can" can work as well. as for alexis getting bit, it's his own damn fault. you wanna play you gotta pay

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
When Haus would jump, we would step lightly on his back paws. He'd have to move his back paw and would lose his balance and fall. However, we tried this with my old roommate's lab mix and Lola didn't mind at all. I would suggest the water bottle outside the door thing.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Lisa said:
Angel's Mommy,

Please don't waste your time and money on a Petsmart or Pet Co "trainer". Notice I have the word trainer in quotes. That's because the people who they hire probably don't have much more experience than you. They will hire people who have never even trained a dog before (the only pre requisite to being a PetSmart trainer is that you like animals -what a joke) and put them thru an 8 week crash course and then they are all of the sudden "trainers". Most of them have probably never even heard of an AB, let alone been on the end of a leash with one. These trainers are probably only capable of handling, handler soft, easy to train Labs, Retrivers, and dogs like that. Bring them a dog with any type of issue and forget it. Bring them a dog with aggressive tendencies or a dog that's extra stubborn and again forget it. These people have about as much experience training dogs as I do flying a helicopter. Don't you live in Miami? I am sure there are at least a handful of good, quality trainers (people who actually have credentials and experince with bull breeds). If you want I can ask around on some of the workng dog boards and see if I can find a trainer for you. Let me know.

As far as these loose dogs.....UGGGHHH. I would give the owners of those dogs a piece of my mind. Angel may be "ok" with loose dogs getting in her face now but I can guarantee that it will change in a few months when she matures into an adult dog. You know in a few months if a dog pisses off Angel which dog is gonna come out with the short end of the stick and you know who is going to get blamed. Get on those people's cases if you already haven't!

I was told bye another trainer the same thing. plus he said they way the do the training will make the dogs food aggressive. he told me that even if he didnt trian my dogs and someone else did he would be happy as long as i didnt got to petsmart or petco.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lisa said:
Angel's Mommy,

see what's great abotu the people in this neighborhood is they let their 6 years old take their little dogs outside with out the leash and let them run everywhere i think they assume cause the dogs are small it can't be too hard for a 5 - 6 yr old to watch it outside grrr

·
Super Moderator
16,003 Posts
with alexis he will chase her around the house or put his arms up and growl at her frankenstein style and she'll freak out and be scared at first but then she stand in front of him and growl and bark at him she won't bite him (although she has on occasion when they;re playing)

The only thing Alexis is doing with this kind of intimidating play is teaching Angel not to trust him. The more she does not trust him the more aggressive she will become with him and maybe with someone else if they make a movement similar to one that Alexis makes. Relate to Alexis that a dog only respects what it can trust and if Alexis wants Angel to respect him he has to show her that he will take care of her not threaten her. How would he feel if some three hundred pounder constantly came up to him with a fist pushed up to his head? He would feel threatened and totally dislike the guy and start reacting in an defensive manner the moment he saw the guy. That is what is happening to Angel. This is what has to be explained to Alexis. Good luck.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just wanna know how come the water bottle works for everyones dog but mine. When i tryed that with gordy he loved it. lol He was trying to drink that water as i was spraying him. lol

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Gordy & water bottle

I had to laugh when i heard what you said Cause the water bottle works great for me too. But it depends on how you use it mine tryed to drink it and still does thinks its a game but they only have they reaction because it is so darn cute its hard to keep a straight face when i use it with a firm no and mean it they listen. now for me it was all in the tone and they know now when i mean it and when we can play. I did find you have to be as persistant as they are.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts