Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I dont want to be an animal abuser anymore! Can someone correctly show me other methods of showing a dog how not to do something? I tried speaking english, it didnt help. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
I like using distraction or alternatives. Like when Heaven would play-bite my hands, I taught her "No, give kisses" so she'd lick my hands instead. Unforunately she would forget the next time around, so I pulled my hand back and said "OUCH" and she felt so bad for hurting me that she doesn't do it anymore. Or else when she does, it's much more gentle.

If they're chewing on something they're not supposed to chew on, I give them one of their toys instead. The key is consistency. Your dog has to trust you, or else he/she will fear you. And no one wants a fear-biter.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My main problem is he jumps on the counters, I tell him no and he gets down, but I dont want him jumping up there at all. When we have guests over... he has buffets on their food, haha. How do I "punish" him for such misbehaviors, god forbid I lay a hand on my baby!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting... im gonna try the water spray, but knowing Boomer he will enjoy it, hope not.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Water bottle works wonders for me. I can't really use it on Dozer anymore though, he HATES it. If you spray him with it, he goes to his crate and pouts for at least 45 minutes. It does make for some quiet time in the house though. With Dozer I usually just have to pick it up and he knows.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Bremner53 said:
Water bottle works wonders for me. I can't really use it on Dozer anymore though, he HATES it. If you spray him with it, he goes to his crate and pouts for at least 45 minutes. It does make for some quiet time in the house though. With Dozer I usually just have to pick it up and he knows.
Same with Haus. All I have to do is pick it up and he'll stop doing whatever he's doing wrong.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
The water bottle never worked for Mags- she thought it was some kind of game and never was "afraid" of it. When she does something bad - what I have found actually works for her (kinda by accident) is if I gasp really loudly like its hurting me or im shocked and i gasp and say "Magnum - what did you do?" or "Magnum - that isn't nice!" ---- I also taught her when she's play biting to do that kisses thing and that works. As far as the counters go - can with pennies inside with a string on it - hang the string off the side of the counter and when he knocks it down it should scare the crap out of him and keep him from trying to get up there eventually.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I do know that basset hound people (I love Bassets after bullies :oops: )will add a little bit of Listerene (sp) mouth wash to the spray bottle. Basset hounds are also very stuborn and hard headed and the kings (or queens) of counter surfing. Apparently, adding a little bit of the mouth wash to the water will help teach the dogs that the spray bottle is a bad thing. It acts almost like a citronella collar for barking. The smell and taste, if they get some in their mouths, is enough to get the point across. And it is not harmful in small, diluted doses.

Another idea is an empty can with some pennies in it. Dog does something it is not supposed to, you say NO and toss the can on the floor behind them. Trick to this though is #1 catching the dog in the act and #2 doing it so the dog doesn't see that you are the one who threw the can.

As far as your pup counter cruising while you have company and food out, can you crate her? Or comfine her to another room?

Tethering her to you while you are at home with her helps teacher her too. With her tethered (leashed) to you, you are able to correct her bad behaviors right away with a sharpe NO and a quick tug on the leash. She will eventually learn what is expected of her and what is inappropriate.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I thought our pup would like the water bottle also because she loves water but she hated being squirted in the face. It was quite effective. We had her house trained and her basic commands (sit, down, shake, stay) by 13 weeks without once even hitting or smacking her. We were just consistent with our firms NOs for undesirable behaviors and used training methods from books for commands. We mainly used the water bottle for nipping and biting. Hitting a dog can definatley lead to a fear biter.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
I do know that basset hound people (I love Bassets after bullies :oops: )
Bassets are so cute. They had a bunch of Basset puppys on a national geographic show the other night.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
My first dog was a beagle/basset hound mix as far as we and his vet could tell. He was a stray, so no one could be 100% certain. :) He was the laziest, most boring dog ever, but I still miss him like crazy.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We use a newspaper that is rolled up. If Faith is doing something she is not suppose to we will hit it on our hand and that gets her attention and she stops. Now that we have done it for awhile we can actually leave a newspaper that is rolled up on the table or wherever and she doesn't want to go near it. We have never hit her with it either. We have sprayed her with water when she is barking in the backyard and that helps only if we are out there the whole time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stern tone of voice and positive reinforcement with exagerated emotions can be far more effective than hitting. Consistancy is the key.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts